Genetically Modified Food

Discussion in 'The Future' started by FinShaggy, Aug 20, 2013.

1. *MAMA*

*MAMA* Perfectly Imperfect

Um....excuse me? I eat almost exclusively local, organic food. Please explain how I'm contributing to the money grubbing destruction of the environment.

2. odonII

odonII O

'well they would say that wouldn't they?'

http://foodfreedom.wordpress.com/20...organic-food-far-healthier-than-conventional/

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/01/12/monsantos-gmo-corn-linked_n_420365.html

I'll double check, but from what I can remember they chose a breed of rat that was genetically susceptible to - given - diet.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/jonenti...ngers-of-monsantos-genetically-modified-corn/

3. deleted

deleted Visitor

healthy and well feed people have the ability to fight..

Can you image a Somalian pirate operating on a full stomach.. How about a million well feed Somalian pirates.. ?

4. odonII

odonII O

Yes, some hunk posted it...he wasn't a very good speller back then, though.

5. LetLovinTakeHold

LetLovinTakeHold Cuz it will if you let it

I have a friend who suffers from epilepsy. Without medication she has up to 50 seizures a day. Meds bring it down to about 20 a day, with some nasty side effects. One day she decided to do an experiment and stopped taking all of the meds and cut out all GMO's from her diet (which is not an easy thing to do). What happened was the first seizure free six months she has had her entire memorable life. She now has 1-2 seizures a week at worst.

Fuck GMOs and fuck Monsanto.

I am not completely against the idea of GMO, but we should have the choice. Not only labeling but also regulation so that GMOs don't take over. And long term testing should be done before it ever hits the shelf......testing by third parties who have nothing to gain or lose.

6. FinShaggy

FinShaggy Banned

You misunderstood me, you contribute to the non-charity of GMOs by completely disregarding them as a resource.

7. FinShaggy

FinShaggy Banned

They would no longer need to be pirates, and could spend that time raising their children instead of risking their lives for a paycheck.

8. FinShaggy

FinShaggy Banned

Like I said it the first post. I don't mind regulation of them in the market, or labeling of them (even to the extent of telling you what they did to it genetically), or any of that shit.

I just think we need to accept that GMOs can fix world hunger, and support them in their ability to do that.

I am not saying to blindly support GMOs, I am suggesting that people consider what they can do before they disregard them altogether.

And I would hope that some people would work to change the GMO motives, instead of trying to remove GMOs from the planet.

9. *MAMA*

You are delusional as fuck if you think it would be better for me to support some corporate ass hats instead of my local farmers down the road. Maybe that sounds insensitive to you in regards to world hunger, but my little community is my first priority.

10. FinShaggy

FinShaggy Banned

No, I think the world would be better, if people like you weren't around in the 70s.

It's okay to support organic farmers now, they are being drowned out by wal mart.

11. *MAMA*

How can you think that the benefits outweigh the risks with the negative impact Monsanto has on the environment? What about the land that is PERMANENTLY damaged by their chemicals? What about the bees that are dying off at the fastest rate in history? How is any of that ok?

The answer to solving world hunger, is to first solve world poverty. NOT pouring millions of dollars into creating franken-food.

12. FritzDaKatx2

FritzDaKatx2 Vinegar Taster

Kind of cool that theres not one mention of GMOs in the current policy outlines for the FAO. They're doing everything short of coming out in full support of Permaculture farming, no-till and all. :)

Buhbye Monsanto!

http://www.fao.org/agriculture/crops/agp-home/en/

13. FinShaggy

FinShaggy Banned

I never said I thought ANYTHING about Monsanto, I am talking about the ability of GMOs to feed the world.

You've been fed propaganda that has put blinders over your eyes.

Just because everyone says it on Facebook doesn't make it true.

14. *MAMA*

You and I both know the two go hand in hand. Don't insult my intelligence.

15. Meliai

Meliai Banned

Fin, you've continuously ignored environmental impact of pesticides and herbicides in this thread. You do realize modern GM foods were created SPECIFICALLY for use with certain pesticides and herbicides.

Scientists are realizing the impact of these pesticides on bee colonies. I don't really think you have a valid debate at all unless you're willing to address the environmental impact of GMOs.

http://www.treehugger.com/natural-s...cause-bee-deaths-and-its-really-bad-news.html

16. FinShaggy

FinShaggy Banned

That's the blindness I am talking about. They do not go hand in hand, you have been led to believe that.

That's like hating cell phones because you don't like AT&T, there are other options.

17. FinShaggy

FinShaggy Banned

I am not suggesting we use any current popular GMO, I am suggesting we support GMOs so that we can know what the fuck is going on with them, and we can get them to do better things.

18. scratcho

scratcho Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Another of mans intrusions into the cycle of life. Sell it now--figure out later if it's harmfull. Anyone with any sense would know that organic is the proper way to feed oneself. Unless you think that the more chemicals we eat is a good thing. Surely this couldn't be about money, now could it?

19. FinShaggy

FinShaggy Banned

Just because it is proper, does not make it practical.

"I now say that the world has the technology – either available or well advanced in the research pipeline – to feed on a sustainable basis a population of 10 billion people. The more pertinent question today is whether farmers and ranchers will be permitted to use this new technology? While the affluent nations can certainly afford to adopt ultra low-risk positions, and pay more for food produced by the so-called “organic” methods, the one billion chronically undernourished people of the low income, food-deficit nations cannot."

20. deleted

deleted Visitor

great idea til they begin mining uranium..

The world is the way is, to prevent such things..

Oppression of Human Kind..