What Is Your Heredity?

Discussion in 'History' started by FinShaggy, Aug 20, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood Senior Moment Lifetime Supporter

That's because they are creating a DNA database for the Feds...

2 people like this.
  2. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

I don't think they're doing to be prosecuting any ancient relatives tyr =p

And I'd take Chinese blood in me for sure, obtain some anti aging genes. :D

3. Tyrsonswood

Who said they were... They are testing living people's blood. Not dead people's.

4. Aerianne

Aerianne Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

I wasn't telling Lynn to get dna testing; just to trace her ancestry through available records.

5. Mattekat

Mattekat Ice Queen of The North

I found out I'm part mi'kmaq the other day. I knew I was part native but we didn't know which band until my cousin did some digging.

1 person likes this.
  6. Tyrsonswood

But Ancestry is creating a database of living people with their DNA testing and guess who has access...

After all "You might be a terrorist... until you can prove you're not."

7. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

I believe ancestry site works off of forums and people posting information about relatives they might have and relying on others for information and to fill in the gaps?

My mom has a over 600 year family tree book of our family. It is very old and fragile. She was having it converted to data for us but I'm not sure where she is up to with this. It's pretty cool though.

8. Aerianne

Aerianne Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

There are different means available on ancestry.com

They have a user forum and also records such as census, marriage, military, death, burial, etc.

There are user submitted/shared photos too.

9. Tyrsonswood

My Father uses Ancestory... it's interesting.

But it also has ties to the LDS church which I wouldn't trust as far as I could throw. The huge database they collect, including DNA results, is up for grabs by any federal agency that wants to peruse it. Quite possibly they will allow employers, insurance companies and the like access so these companies can assess "risk" based on your family history or DNA, same as Facebook's database is used now.

All this shyt is just getting too creepy for me.

2 people like this.
  10. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

I thought most info on ancestory is available for free elsewhere. The perk of that site is just that it is all put online for easy access and so that people can build their own family tree (which they could also draw on paper but now do on here). Kind of like a wikipedia about bloodlines. People used to have this hobby before internet as well, they would dig through public municipal archives and the likes. Now half of this info is put online. I don't think the feds would primarily rely on ancestory.com to collect reliable info, not without a doublecheck in the original source.

11. NoxiousGas

NoxiousGas Old Fart

nice, so insurance companies/employers have figured out a way to get around the HIPPA laws.

12. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

I also read that dutch insurance companies buy search data from foreign companies (like american), because they can't legally get info on dutch people and their search data directly, and also use that info to determine risks and stuff on their clients. They are busy figuring things like this out on a continuing basis. Then one way to gather personal info gets blocked again (sometimes :p) and they go look for another loophole.

13. Tyrsonswood

Auto and home owners insurance is what I was referring to... Their rates are not based only on your previous insurance history, but on credit ratings, background history, online activity, online buying habits, and whatever else they can dig up about you. Of course if you make claims, that goes against you as well.

As far as employers go, they are now checking people's facebook pages and other online activity as a means of sorting out the best man for the job, not only education and work experience. Other online activity could involve Ancestry and family lineage if they want to take it to that level.

14. NoxiousGas

NoxiousGas Old Fart

it costs on average $200 to conduct a pre-employment background screening.
    It costs about $20 to do a credit check.
    It costs $0 to do a google search.

Sad but many do use credit checks and online searches as part of the hiring process as well as admission to university.

Years ago Monster.com, the job site, published an article showing that credit checks are just about the worst way to evaluate a potential employee.

but yeah, folks go with the cheapest option.

15. magickman

magickman Supporters HipForums Supporter

English...and a bit of Cherokee Indian

and a dash of French, way back.

16. SouthPaw

SouthPaw Members

Both sides of my family came from Ireland so that's all I can claim definitively.

I had light blonde hair until I was about 15 then it turned dirty blonde. I've been told that's an Eastern European trait. If I get a lot of sun it lightens up to strawberry blond but that's the byproduct of a blonde father and a redhead mom. My beard comes in red too.

17. nzhippy1992

nzhippy1992 Members

A few years ago I got stopped by national geographic who were taking dna swabs to trace where you ancestors originally came from. turns out I'm a viking or of Scandinavian and Slavic heritage where they also settled.

was quite cool to find out, can be hard sometimes for Europeans to get in touch with a cultural identity, due to the mixtures and travels of ancestors.

18. Meliai

Meliai Banned

My sister recently did a DNA test. We are 49% western European, 39% percent Scotch/Irish, and 12% Scandanavian. This explains so much why i've never been able to tan.

1 person likes this.
  19. SpacemanSpiff

SpacemanSpiff Visitor

my brother in law is like that...no ability to tan...he goes from pasty white to lobster red ..there is no in between

too much finn blood

20. fundoo

fundoo Members

DNA test. Thatis interesting! I have no idea percentages or even everything I might be, but the main ones I'm told are,

German (both sides)
    Irish (Maternal)
    And French (paternal)

But I would justconsider myself American. We used to wear green on St. Paddys and some have studied some German culture and been, but we don't really have traditions. :/ I actually used to really feel bummed and left out on Ethnic Day. Wasn't the smartass I am today to just go as American. :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.