Weird, creepy, disturbing books?

Discussion in 'Books' started by la Principessa, Aug 5, 2013.

1. wiccan_witch

wiccan_witch Senior Member

Someone who is also weird and creepy - but in a different way - is Daphne Du Maurier - a thriller writer in the 1930's.

2. DrewSpeaksTrue

DrewSpeaksTrue Member

My sci fi english teacher said A clockwork orange is a pretty twisted book

3. Vongaelly

Vongaelly Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Afraid - Jack Kilborn
    Pretty low brow, very well writen gory scenes and suspense etc. Pretty fun read if you don't mind the messed up gory stuff haha :p

4. Just_a_woman

Just_a_woman Member

Have you read the Bible? I couldn't put it down, first time I've read it. It's full of mystery and deciphering it is fun. Also, you get a bit of History and many, many complex and weird characters and situations. Even if you're an atheist, if you set aside your prejudices, it's a very good read.

And I loved traveling to places that figure in the book. I've been to Mt Ararat, Mt Sinai, all over Israel, Jordan, Syria and Egypt. All of these trips were much more fun than they would already have been, because I had read the book.

If you want creepy and disturbing, the last books are the best, but it'd be a pity not to read it from the beginning.

People who don't read it are missing out. Again, it doesn't matter if you're an atheist. It's an ancient collection of books and it is very interesting, and it fits with what you're looking for. Just read it as you'd read any other book. People miss out, because they're prejudiced against the book. It's a book. What others make of it shouldn't influence your fun in reading an old book.

I've read different editions, but my absolute favorite is one where words in the original languages that could have other meanings in the given context are shown and all the possible meanings are there. It's like breaking a code. Remember, it was written in languages that don't write vowels. My favorite I've bought it very cheap from Jeovah witnesses.

If you love languages, your fun is ten fold. In a small part of Syria they still speak Aramaic. It's fascinating.

Please, if someone wants to discuss religion, you've missed my point. I'm a hard core atheist, but I love books and I've loved reading this one. I'm talking about a good book and what people who read wants to make of it its their problem. When I read it I have the following mind frame: I've just found an ancient book written by people of another time and I can't wait to read it.

5. wiccan_witch

wiccan_witch Senior Member

Have to agree. I love reading the Bible. :)

6. ginalee14

ginalee14 eternity

I don't know if it's weird / creepy / disturbing but it's intense and awesome

http://www.amazon.com/Small-Mediums-Large-Terry-Iacuzzo/dp/0399152350"]Small Mediums at Large

7. karenmartin

karenmartin Banned

book store it help you for different kind of book you want

8. shoeless joe

shoeless joe Member

For a disturbing read I would recommend "The Short Timers" by Gustav Hasford. It is written by a marine Vietnam veteran and it is a disturbing look at boot camp and the Vietnam war through the eyes of a marine grunt. "The Short Timers" is also the basis for the movie "Full Metal Jacket". The book itself is out of print so it is hard to find, but you can find copies of the book's text in the internet, just do a google search for "The Short Timers" and you should find one.