DEXTER (and other serial killer dramas)

Discussion in 'The Media' started by FreedomSought, Aug 5, 2013.

1. FreedomSought

FreedomSought Guest

Hey Hipforums,

I don't watch much TV or news but I do keep up on a few shows. Dexter and Breaking Bad have a special place in my heart. I've just invested the time of watching all the seasons and I figure I'll see how they finish, even though it's kind of feeding the pain-body at this point.

What do you guys think of Dexter and other such serial killer shows? How do you feel watching them? What do you think society learns from a program with a "likeable serial killer"?

For me, when I watch Dexter, I identify with Dexter. Perhaps the show is set-up that way, so that the viewer has to identify with the protagonist. Noticing times when I, too, felt emotionally disconnected or cold, or times when I thought there was real emotion behind something when really there wasn't.

Watching Dexter, I feel understood. Like hey, here's what its like when someone doesn't feel their emotions all the time. Is this you?