Summer tent-camping locations wanted

Discussion in 'Camping/Outdoor Living' started by ZenRogue, Jul 7, 2013.

1. ZenRogue

ZenRogue Member

I want to go tent-camping for the entire summer (July through the end of September).

I'm looking for someplace that, above all, is weather-comfortable; temperature (max temp 80-ish degrees Farenheit would be awesome) as well as precipitation (occasional rain/drizzle is ok but noplace known to rain a lot, please). I suppose this limits me to the Pacific coastal area but if you know of other areas that also satisfy the rest of the criteria, I'm open.

While I'm happy to pay a reasonable (is $20/day reasonable? in any case, the less, the better) tent-camping fee, I'll be even happier to learn about any disbursed (aka 'free') camping areas that people have experienced first-hand (or, if not you personally, someone you trust). The only caveat on this point is that I own a car (see picture) so it can't be anywhere that requires ground-clearance beyond what one might find in a rough dirt-road.

Finally, I'd like to have a cell-phone signal (I'm on Verizon, if it matters) so that, at the very least, I can set my phone as a hotspot and check in with G+, email, etc.

I'll have my dog with me (a 30-pound pug/beagle mix, also in the pic below if you look carefully), which I mention only in the event that there's some relevant concern about predator interaction.

Thanks in advance for any helpful information. If you need more info from me, feel free to ask! :D

[​IMG]

2. DannyD

DannyD Member

The only places that I can think or that meet your description are the national forests around Prescott, AZ, Flagstaff, AZ, Mancos, CO and , BLM land in NW New Mexico.

The 14 day max rule applies everywhere in the NF though, so fee or not so you're going to have to move every two weeks after a ranger sees you.

The pacific coast is a nightmare for camping. I'll never go there and try that again. If you're interested in exact spots in the areas I listed, I'd be happy to share by PM. Don't want them out in public. Too many people in the forests already. ;)

3. GardenGuy

GardenGuy Senior Member

I absolutely loved camping in northern Wisconsin and UP of Michigan in summer. Great weather! By late summer the black flies are not an issue, but do have a plan for what you gonna do about them deer flies. Okay, I am an honest guy and told you about the bad stuff right up front. The good: lakes, forests, clear streams, wild berries, and beautiful people.