Do you trust the Media?

Discussion in 'The Media' started by PhotoDude, Jul 7, 2013.

1. JasmineZ

JasmineZ Member

2. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

Well hey, I thought about it... but the conclusion is negative. Unless you insist on viewing everything as something uniform as 'the man' or something. Just like I'm saying: if a person has some discipline and some criticial thinking skills they don't have to be scared of being brainwashed at all. Perhaps the fact that some are avoiding watching tv because of that fear means they know themselves quite well? :p

3. Stanjr722

Stanjr722 Member

For me it's not a fear thing whatsoever. I don't watch Barney or soap operas either because its all crappy fiction just like much of the news.

4. odonII

odonII O

Asmodean

I have no idea why brainwashing would be an issue.

5. odonII

odonII O

I like the soaps. I think ours are better than yours. Not that hard, I guess.

6. His Eden

His Eden Queen of Mean

Generally speaking, Hell no! Especially when it comes to politics, the economy, etc.

The exceptions would be stories that can be verified by multiple reputable sources, or that are meant to be a feel good story such as: good deeds people do for one another like the motorist who stopped on a busy road in Russia to help an elderly lady cross safely, a child raising money for a worthy cause like the girl who recently gave up her birthday money for a bullet proof vest for a police K-9 in Holyoke, Mass., or similar stories. It is nice to see that people can still do good things, just for the sake of doing them. It makes the world less depressing, even if only briefly, at least in my opinion.

7. Asmodean

Well, I think people who do speak of brainwashing in regards to tv do also just mean 'being influenced by', they seem to exaggerate that and call it brainwashing. But generally it seems they focus the talk about the risk of getting brainwashed by tv more on their fellow humans, not themselves of course. Why they throw their tv out of the window then, I'm not sure... precautions? :p

8. Driftwood Gypsy

Driftwood Gypsy Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

my mom was a total tv zombie and used tv as sole babysitter for my first 16 years... i see what it does to people, it numbs them slows them makes them dumb and distracts from life.

9. Asmodean

When you're a tv zombie without discipline perhaps. Like I said, people aren't supposed to watch tv all day so when they decide to live their life in front of the tv who's to blame for that?

10. Driftwood Gypsy

Driftwood Gypsy Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

tv panics me nowadays. it scary how distracting it is.

11. Asmodean

I watch the thing I want and then I turn it off. Then it's not that distractive anymore.

12. tg2lynch

tg2lynch Member

Here's a wake up call for everyone who watches TV, but doesn't see on TV or hear about on the radio. Everyone should be spreading this information around.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Igz2mPlUM0Y"]The Depopulation Agenda For a New-World-Order Agenda 21 - YouTube

13. Wizardofodd

Wizardofodd Senior Member

No. I don't trust the media and I don't generally watch tv very often.

14. JKHolman

JKHolman Member

15. Deranged

Deranged Senor Member

Probably more than your average hipster but not completely for sure

16. Piney

Piney Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

New Jersey has been a Blue state for so long, but now we have Gouvenor Chris Christie and Bridgegate. The local media finally get to put away the Pom-poms and do some real journalism.

Is my faith in media restored?

17. Lulu1967

Lulu1967 Member

Do I trust the media??

Of COURSE I do ..... not

18. augustavelez

augustavelez Guest

Probably more than your average hipster but not completely for sure

19. ginalee14

ginalee14 eternity

I voted HELL NO!!

I was on the news once and a reporter from a newspaper contacted me for an interview about the same story.

The television news did an okay job but the newspaper reporter set me on fire. She twisted everything I said and falsely reported the story. What I learned from that is how she essentially treated a news story as her own special work of art. News isn't art, it's news. I blasted her with an email and spelled it all out for her but there was no correction printed in follow-up, as there should have been. I don't think it's excusable and I think people are in the wrong to accept the unacceptable.

20. odonII

odonII O

I think that about sums it up for me.