Ex boyfriend name tattoo

Discussion in 'Body Modification' started by RainyDayHype, Jun 29, 2013.

1. RainyDayHype

RainyDayHype flower power Lifetime Supporter

I wasn't sure if I should post this in the relationships forum, perhaps. I'll just post here.

I have a tattoo of my exes name on my hip. The name is now crossed out.

I don't regret this tattoo by the way. I consider this guy to have been the love of my life.

My question though is, how would you feel about dating someone with a tattoo of their ex's name? Do you think you would want them to get the tattoo removed or covered up?

2. AngelAus

AngelAus Member

It could be a permanent reminder to your partner of whose been there before. If he's uncomfortable with that it could be trouble.

3. LetLovinTakeHold

LetLovinTakeHold Cuz it will if you let it

I wouldn't mind casually dating but if things got serious I would want it to be covered up.

4. Piaf

Piaf Senior Member

It would be a major turn off, but mostly because the person was stupid enough to tattoo samone's name on them o_O
    No offense.

5. LetLovinTakeHold

I have a couple tattoos, with plans for many more. To me, getting a lovers name inked is most always a bad idea. I wouldn't call it stupid, naive maybe.

Most of the people I know who have done it have major attachment issues.

6. RainyDayHype

what about people that get their kids names?

7. LetLovinTakeHold

Totally different story. Lovers come and go but children you are stuck with.

8. RainyDayHype

but doesn't a lover leave a mark on your heart?

9. LetLovinTakeHold

Sure they do. Sometimes in a good way and sometimes it could be an awful reminder. But I think most people are going to be uncomfortable exploring their lovers body when it's tagged by someone else. And I think not wanting to get it covered shows that you're not over that person which would be a giant red flag for me.

10. RainyDayHype

Hm, a little background on the tattoo, because what the hell..
    The tattoo held significance for me because it was sort of a hopeful tattoo. I was married to this guy, we ended up splitting up... Then after it seemed there was no turning back, we ended up back together and once again, I thought, this is the man I want to spend the rest of my life with..so I got the tattoo.

11. RainyDayHype

It's crossed out already and I never said I'm not willing to cover it up. I have a dilemma though, I'm not sure if covering it up will represent that I regret the love I had for him. So do I just leave it as it is? I'm not sure what I want to do with the tattoo. Also, a cover up tattoo is going to hurt like hell...

12. LetLovinTakeHold

That doesn't really make a difference. Sometimes you just have to let go in order to move on. If you covered it up you would still know its there and the mark he left on your heart will still be there. But I think most men would agree with me that it would be a huge turn off to see another mans name on the woman you love (crossed out or not). Casual sex is one thing, but I wouldn't move any further than that without it being covered because it shows that your heart still belongs to him.

13. Sassygurl

Sassygurl Member

Is it just black ink? Can you just get it lasered off?? I had one removed about 10 years ago...heals up nicely like it wasn't even there.

14. RainyDayHype

yes, it's nothing extravagant

15. LetLovinTakeHold

What it represents to you and the impression it gives out to others may be completely different. It's your body you should do what you want. But If you don't cover/remove it be prepared that most men will not understand and it may make it more difficult to find a future long term lover.

16. RainyDayHype

I just looked at the tattoo and I have a strange sense of humor....
    so because it's crossed out now, all I can think of are those crazy 'vato' guys that have like three chicks names tattooed on their chest or arm and they're each crossed out...
    so the tattoo is sort of humorous now...
    maybe I should post a pic.

17. Mothman

Mothman Senior Member

If it was me I would cover it and change not out of regret, all of what that relationship was is carried in the form of who you now are but my concern would be the energetic ties of someone's name, even crossed out would have. When you put it there it was meant to last forever and to display a connection between you and dude. That is no longer the case. Cover it with something that makes you happy to see it is my advice.

18. Sassygurl

Sassygurl Member

I would just look into getting it lasered off then and that way you are not left having to figure out how to cover it. That's what I wouid do.

19. LetLovinTakeHold

You made me think of a movie I saw a long time ago where a guy had a large tattoo of his ex. Instead of covering it up he had the guy make her look like shit, with devil horns and bats flying out of her ears.

And yes, you should post a pic :)

20. RainyDayHype