Yet more sexist advertising... this by by Acora

Discussion in 'Feel Good Feminism' started by mrssarahhall, Jun 25, 2013.

1. mrssarahhall

mrssarahhall Guest

Have you seen their disgustingly offensive advert? There's an article here about it: http://www.leftfootforward.org/2013/06/acora-ltd-insults-women-with-shockingly-sexist-advert/

The advert alone is offensive enough, but it's also their apology which is just horrific! They still haven't admitted that they created an offensive advert.

Their board is all male apparently - which just goes to show how having such an un-diverse board can cause such huge lapses in judgement. I can't understand how anyone - male or female - would ever have thought this would be an effective advertising campaign!

2. GLENGLEN

GLENGLEN Banned

Feel Free To Label Me A "Male Pig" If You So Desire,

But My Initial Reaction Was...:rofl:

Cheers Glen.

3. mrssarahhall

mrssarahhall Guest

Really Glen?! This is an offensive advert that pokes fun at women, the overweight and the unattractive. We need to stop bullying people that don't fit societies unattainable picture of 'perfection'. This is why so many teens have eating disorders and end up self harming or worse. Having large, so called 'professional' companies adding to this is just disgusting.

4. absentwithin

absentwithin Member

Seems like a great advert to me i LOL'd :D Some people just need to lighten up and laugh a lil you'll live longer as for that sexy momma in the pic she needs to lighten up period :O jk

5. mrssarahhall

mrssarahhall Guest

I'm all for having a laugh, believe me. But I don't see how this advert helps to promote outsourced IT services? How on earth is it appropriate?

6. GLENGLEN

GLENGLEN Banned

Maybe Not Directly, But It Does Display The Fact That They Are A

Company That Has A Sense Of Humor And Are Not Afraid To Show It...:)

Cheers Glen.

7. absentwithin

absentwithin Member

Well the value of the ad is determined by the market sector they where trying to target.. I'm sure they didn't win any feminist accounts that's a given.. Being a former marketing and advertising student I cringe at what they where trying to achieve here other than a potential surge in sensationalism.. I see no positive marketplace aspects for this type of ad but I'm sure it increased the amount of press they got and phone call's by triple if not more..
    http://wiki.answers.com/Q/The_positive_negative_aspects_of_advertising

8. mrssarahhall

mrssarahhall Guest

Well I think we'll have to agree to disagree. There are plenty of ways they could have humourously portrayed the message of 'Some tasks are better off outsourced' without causing offensive. It's the fact that their apology was so half arsed too.. they can't actually admit that they made a mistake.

9. mrssarahhall

mrssarahhall Guest

I'm glad you agree that it's misplaced. I would like to be in the office the day they ran this ad. I can't see how the phone would be ringing with new customers... maybe press and existing customers asking what the hell they were thinking.

10. lively_girl

lively_girl Member

I agree with you :2thumbsup:.
    The article misses this point completely, though. It says that the problem with the advert is the relationship between the man and the woman, man being in a dominant role, etc. That's just nonsense.
    That guy with the hand on his head looks completely lost and rather incompetent. I have no idea how that promotes male superiority.
    The sentence in the article that man would reject roles they find unappealing while women wouldn't, is rather sexist as well.

11. mrssarahhall

mrssarahhall Guest

I agree - the article don't quite reflect my views on why this ad is so horrific. However it does touch on the fact that Acora's so called 'apology' was just a waste of space. I really don't think they understand why the ad was offensive. They probably just think it's women complaining... yet again.

12. mrssarahhall

mrssarahhall Guest

I agree - the article don't quite reflect my views on why this ad is so horrific. However it does touch on the fact that Acora's so called 'apology' was just a waste of space. I really don't think they understand why the ad was offensive. They probably just think it's women complaining... yet again.

13. daisymae

daisymae Senior Member

They knew what they were doing, I'm sure. Now everyone will know about their product due to bad press.
    Any publicity is good publicity.

No one in this day and age could have thought that ad was appropriate. There are so many ads promoting real women... This is like the opposite of a Dove ad.

14. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

I still dont get your point though, how is it sexist?

If it was a fat naked guy on the bed and some female exec in a power suit in the same stance as the guy, the ad would mean the same thing

15. NoxiousGas

NoxiousGas Old Fart

Wow, you could knock me down with a feather! I agree with VG about something...again!
    I think that makes 3-4 times now.:2thumbsup:
    I thought it was humorous and "got it" immediately.
    Some jobs just aren't as fun as they sound..LOL
    You ladies are making it into something it's not.
    It is more offensive towards overweight people more so than to women.

don't know why but it reminds me of the scene in Little Big Man when Dustin had to get his Indian bride AND all her sisters pregnant, and try to do it in one night!

I'll bet he wished he could have outsourced some of that work. :p

16. Aerianne

Aerianne Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

I want to know why, if the guy is so unhappy that he wants to outsource sex with his wife, is he still married.

17. daisymae

daisymae Senior Member

I was thinking that, too. It's a stupid joke.

18. wobs

wobs Senior Member

theres more to bother about in the world at this present time

19. sparkling

sparkling Guest

I'm sorry. But aren't people free to be creative?

And do feminists somehow have the right not to be offended?

The rather chubby girl in the advertisement makes a fairly uncontroversial observation about what the majority of men find unattractive in a woman.

If you don't like this. Fine. Make your own ad. But I don't agree with censorship merely to appease some overly sensitive ladies.

20. browning

browning Member

OMG so wrong but just so damn hilarious