51 replies to this topic

#1 Aerianne

Aerianne

She Who Is

• Moderators
  • 12,730 posts
  • LocationMetro-Atlanta, Georgia, USA

Posted June 04 2013 - 03:51 PM

We are replacing the spark plugs on my car. The first one went well.

Now, on #2 the freaking rubber out of the plug socket is stuck around the plug I put in. The coil pack cap wont go all the way down. How in the hell are we going to get that rubber out?

We can't even back the plug out now.

#2 orison319

orison319

my dog is full of stars

• Super Moderator
  • 56,773 posts
  • LocationSquirrel Hill Penisylvania

Posted June 04 2013 - 03:55 PM

Rip the rubber off ,, it dont do anything.. you just want the metal under it..

Capturev

Nineteen forty, Xmas eve
with the full moon over town
Stagger Lee shot Billy DeLyon

and he blew that poor boy down

#3 Aerianne

Aerianne

She Who Is

• Moderators
  • 12,730 posts

Posted June 04 2013 - 03:58 PM

Orison, the rubber pulled out of the socket when I was pulling the socket off the plug. The rubber from the socket is stuck down around the top of the plug and won't let the ignition coil cap go back down all the way.

#4 Voyage

Voyage

Noam Sayin

• Members
  • 4,853 posts

Posted June 04 2013 - 04:02 PM

Orison, the rubber pulled out of the socket when I was pulling the socket off the plug. The rubber from the socket is stuck down around the top of the plug and won't let the ignition coil cap go back down all the way.

1. Squirt WD40 or light lube in the socket and push it back on the plug and take
it all back out again.
2. Throw away that little piece of rubber.
3. Precede as before.
“We are all alone, born alone, die alone, and — in spite of True Romance magazines — we shall all someday look back on our lives and see that, in spite of our company, we were alone the whole way. I do not say lonely — at least, not all the time — but essentially, and finally, alone. This is what makes your self-respect so important, and I don’t see how you can respect yourself if you must look in the hearts and minds of others for your happiness.”
Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

#5 orison319

orison319

my dog is full of stars

• Super Moderator
  • 56,773 posts

Posted June 04 2013 - 04:05 PM

if you rip the rubber all off and expose the wire.. you can use pliers to bend it back to shape and hold the plug head.

or I just dont understand.. Ive mine rot and melt off before. i like mine exposed anyways cause I remove all the safety features on mowers and ground them out to kill..

Capturev

Nineteen forty, Xmas eve

#6 Aerianne

Aerianne

She Who Is

• Moderators
  • 12,730 posts

Posted June 04 2013 - 04:11 PM

Okay, Hubby is eating dinner and the daughter and grandson are having a screaming match. I can't think. I'ma chill a minute and read this to Hubby when he is done eating.

#7 Aerianne

Aerianne

She Who Is

• Moderators
  • 12,730 posts

Posted June 04 2013 - 04:19 PM

I'm probably not being real clear either.

The rubber gasket from inside the plug socket is stuck around the porcelain part of the installed plug.

Damn, I wish I could sit at my computer and smoke. Can't think without smoking.

#8 Voyage

Voyage

Noam Sayin

• Members
  • 4,853 posts

Posted June 04 2013 - 04:24 PM

I'm probably not being real clear either.

The rubber gasket from inside the plug socket is stuck around the porcelain part of the installed plug.

Damn, I wish I could sit at my computer and smoke. Can't think without smoking.

thats what i understood.

take a break, have a smoke.

the rubber "bushing" from inside the socket stuck on the ceramic head of the plug, gotcha.

lube up the inside of the plug socket in your hand with some light oil, silcone spray, graphite, whatever will make it slippery, connect to whatever extensions you needed to get down there, wiggle the socket while pushing down, force it gently over that rubber p.o.s. till you can engage the hex corners at the base of the plug.

unscrew.

throw that rubber p.o.s. away and just be careful installing plugs without it :)

(future tip, get one of those cushioned snap-on plug sockets, you'll never buy another)
(been where you are, hug)
“We are all alone, born alone, die alone, and — in spite of True Romance magazines — we shall all someday look back on our lives and see that, in spite of our company, we were alone the whole way. I do not say lonely — at least, not all the time — but essentially, and finally, alone. This is what makes your self-respect so important, and I don’t see how you can respect yourself if you must look in the hearts and minds of others for your happiness.”
Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

#9 MeAgain

MeAgain

Dazed and Confused

• Super Moderator
  • 4,065 posts
  • LocationLocus Amoenus

Posted June 04 2013 - 04:24 PM

Did the boot come apart or is it a small rubber insert to prevent vibration that could fracture the ceramic in the plug?

Twist off another boot to see how it compares to the one you are trying to get. Twist it back and forth to break it free before pulling on it.

Whatever, pull it off with needle nose pliers if you can get them on it, some plugs are way down in a well.

Edit:
What Voyage said.

#10 Voyage

Voyage

Noam Sayin

• Members
  • 4,853 posts

Posted June 04 2013 - 04:30 PM

ya, she's talking about the ceramic protection in the socket, not the seal(s) between the spark plug and the lead or the boot over the plug connection.

hopefully she/hubby have it off already :D
Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

#11 Aerianne

Aerianne

She Who Is

• Moderators
  • 12,730 posts

Posted June 04 2013 - 04:40 PM

Thanks Guys.

Voyage has got the idea. We've got to get the rubber back into the plug socket and extract it; or find the long needle nose pliers to grab it. Another idea I read was to put a long hook down in there to grab it. One guy even said to use the shop vac and suck it out. I hope it's just sitting loosely on the porcelain and not really stuck.

Gone to try some other stuff while Hubby finishes eating. lol Eating takes him a while as he has teeth issues.

#12 Voyage

Voyage

Noam Sayin

• Members
  • 4,853 posts

Posted June 04 2013 - 04:50 PM

cool beans, yay :)

im away for dinner and stuff ill be on later. good luck with it all.

Edited by Voyage, June 04 2013 - 04:51 PM.
just realized it wasnt very clear that 'stuff' is a couplea bowls for dessert :)

Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

#13 orison319

orison319

my dog is full of stars

• Super Moderator
  • 56,773 posts

Posted June 04 2013 - 04:55 PM

thought you was talking about a lawnmower ..lol.

Capturev

Nineteen forty, Xmas eve

#14 Aerianne

Aerianne

She Who Is

• Moderators
  • 12,730 posts

Posted June 04 2013 - 05:01 PM

Nope, Orison. I am changing the spark plugs on my 4 cylinder Mazda.

Out to try a long dental pick if Hubby can find it.

#15 newbie-one

newbie-one

• 5,904 posts

Posted June 04 2013 - 05:20 PM

you may be able to get it off by putting the socket back on and turning back and forth gently.

taking the plug all the way out and then putting it back in again might work too

the main thing is not to break the plug, because then its a big pain in the ass to get it out again

good luck!

#16 Aerianne

Aerianne

She Who Is

• Moderators
  • 12,730 posts

Posted June 04 2013 - 05:33 PM

E - This rubber is preventing up from going down deep enough with the socket to back the plug out...

Still plugging along...(pun intended)

#17 Aerianne

Aerianne

She Who Is

• Moderators
  • 12,730 posts

Posted June 04 2013 - 05:35 PM

***NEWS FLASH***

BBad had answered a private message I sent him before this thread and his suggestion of using a clothes hanger to make a loop to fit under and pull is THE WINNER!

Thank you all so much. I love my HF guys!!!

Edited by Aerianne, June 04 2013 - 06:38 PM.
added asterisks

#18 Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood

Senior Moment

• 13,026 posts
  • LocationThe Woods

Posted June 04 2013 - 05:39 PM

Yeah... you could use a coat hanger... :p

"It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society." - Jiddu Krishnamurti

"there was something big happening that night, decisions were made and destiny was cast..."~jfw~

~ I chop wood, I carry water, I tend the Earth, This is my prayer. ~

#19 Aerianne

Aerianne

She Who Is

• Moderators
  • 12,730 posts

Posted June 04 2013 - 06:24 PM

Yay, Ty! lol

I should've asked you earlier.

#20 desert-rat

desert-rat

• 2,243 posts

Posted June 04 2013 - 06:33 PM

If nothing else you can take the spark plug back out , then its easy to get at that rubber . You can put it back in the socket , or just keep the socket streght when installing the plugs, so it dont crack them .

#21 Aerianne

Aerianne

She Who Is

• Moderators
  • 12,730 posts

Posted June 04 2013 - 06:37 PM

Rat, that rubber was preventing me from being able to reach the plug to back it out. It's cool. It's out now. Thanks, though.

#22 desert-rat

desert-rat

• 2,243 posts

Posted June 04 2013 - 06:50 PM

I use a deep 5/8 socket ( 13/16 in the old days) with out a rubber , just keep it centered , so it dont break the plug .

#23 Voyage

Voyage

Noam Sayin

• Members
  • 4,853 posts

Posted June 04 2013 - 06:54 PM

takes what it takes. glad its solved, plus rep for BBad :)

i'm a little weird about some mechanical things so... fwiw...
all those little pain in the butt rubber things on cars and bikes loooovee silicone spray. have hubby pick up a can, they're cheap. Those spark plug socket with the rubber cushion inside do that. If you spray the rubber first before changing plugs it prevents that. Whenever I slide on coil/plug connections, all those things that have little rubber seals or boots... whatever, i always hit them with a little silicone when i put em together. makes next plug/filter/whatever regular maintainance thing go a lot easier and makes that stuff last way longer.
Or Armor All, same thing.
Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

#24 newbie-one

newbie-one

• 5,904 posts

Posted June 04 2013 - 06:55 PM

the freaking rubber out of the plug socket is stuck around the plug I put in.
How in the hell are we going to get that rubber out?

that's what you get for using rubbers

#25 orison319

orison319

my dog is full of stars

• Super Moderator
  • 56,773 posts

Posted June 04 2013 - 06:58 PM

"Oh man, I'm so high right now, I have no idea what is going on"

http://t0.gstatic.co...mann/towley.gif

Capturev

Nineteen forty, Xmas eve

#26 Aerianne

Aerianne

She Who Is

• Moderators
  • 12,730 posts

Posted June 04 2013 - 07:03 PM

Good tip, Voyage.

Yeah, I'm getting a magnetic plug socket. I still have to do #3 & #4 on my car; plus I'm going to teach my daughter how to change the plugs in her car before she goes on a trip next month.

#27 SpaceMan Spiff

SpaceMan Spiff

٩ (๏̯͡๏)۶ NINJA

• Lifetime Supporter 
  • 53,380 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted June 04 2013 - 07:12 PM

I prefer the rubber ones

just clean the socket and the rubber and then glue it back in there...i wish they'd glue them in the first place then this problem would never happen

#28 Voyage

Voyage

Noam Sayin

• Members
  • 4,853 posts

Posted June 04 2013 - 07:29 PM

that's what you get for using rubbers

:eek:

I prefer the rubber ones
just clean the socket and the rubber and then glue it back in there...i wish they'd glue them in the first place then this problem would never happen

well, if you wanna get all "root of the problem"... ya lol

https://encrypted-tb...Wcdmh3fLFCrFY0Q
Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

#29 rollingalong

rollingalong

mister

•  Supporters
  • 19,112 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted June 04 2013 - 07:32 PM

know what i use to do my plugs

and it has never failed me?

a mechanic....a dude that does things to cars for cash

i like to support my local businesses...good people take good care of good customers:)

#30 NoxiousGas

NoxiousGas

Old Fart

• 4,772 posts
  • LocationIn the bowels of all mankind

Posted June 04 2013 - 07:46 PM

This thread title is perfect for the "change one word game;

Butt Plug Socket Rubber Stuck Around Installed Plug

Gives it a "hole" new meaning, doesn't it. ;)

"Do the walls close in and suffocate ya,

you ain't got no friends and all the others they hate ya,

does the life you been leading gotta go?"

get your shoes and socks on people.......

:devil:

"the poodle bi-i-ites,

the poodle chews it"