How the media portrays the homeless.

Discussion in 'The Media' started by E Rock, May 29, 2013.

1. stormountainman

stormountainman Soy Un Truckero

Alright Odon, you can read about the 88 families being kicked out in the Coloradoan newspaper. I've already told you that Cox is the top dog at the Housing Authority. The 88 families who were kicked out were living in Housing Authority places. Mind you they still pay rent, but income based. That's our law here. Since Cox is the top dog, he has decision making ability. There in The Coloradoan newspaper you can also read about the homeless persons who have died, and the killing of citizens by the police, like the incident where Matthew Worden was shot out of a balcony, and that of Bode Roybal who was killed when he called the cops, because he had locked himself out of his own house. You can get all the dates, and maybe the names of witnesses. You can even call the Murphy Center and interview the witnesses. It will take some time to do all that, so I'm not going to bother with it. I already know the facts. I still think you are a cop, and on the side of cops and other government officials, so will not go and gather all the little details for you. I will not defer to you, just because you have an uppity attitude about others who you regard as beneath you. Go and get the details your own self, in the Coloradoan Newspaper. Go and do it the hard way.

2. Frieden

Frieden Senior Member

I really enjoy visiting Ft. Collins. It's a nice little town, and I usually stop on my way to Estes. If the town were to become taken over by bums littering all the parks and public property, I would drive on through. I can't imagine I'm alone. Are you getting my point yet?

Having lived in a state that has a real problem with homeless people and being a taxpayer, it pisses me the fuck off when I can't sit on a single bus bench, because they've become some homeless person's bed. Fuck that. I have little compassion for people who throw in the towel and refuse to try. And guess what? I have seen very little try from the mass amounts of homeless folks I've encountered over the years.

3. stormountainman

Sounds like an upper class problem to me. A famous musician and song writer once said, "I ain't got no friends in high society." I agree with that. The homeless friends who I have don't sleep on a bus bench. The homeless friends that I have are educated people, fine people, and haven't thrown in the towel. I don't know why people like you have to defame and disparage others. My friends want homes and jobs. They don't need an assault on their humanity when they seek government help. My tax dollars should go to helping people and protecting the earth, not to wars, to war contractors, and environmental destruction.

4. Paulwenz

Paulwenz Banned

Yep, gumment is happy to fund wars, car companies and an incredible variety of destructive projects.

5. odonII

odonII O

Ok, I found the story...

88 Fort Collins families displaced by public housing shift
    The Fort Collins Housing Authority plans to sell old, deteriorating homes in order to fund the creation of new affordable housing. But that will first mean trying to find new homes for families it serves in an already tight housing market.

“Some are excited to get a voucher to choose where they live,” Brewen said. “Some are heartbroken if they’ve lived there a long time. It really sucks.”

Amenta won’t be sad to leave her neighborhood behind. “It’s infested with drug-related issues,” she said. “Police are there quite often.”

http://www.coloradoan.com/article/2...ns-families-displaced-by-public-housing-shift

Reading the story, it isn't quite as despotic as you were making out.
    Perhaps why you were a little hesitant to post the story.
    Do you understand why I'm a little cautious with what you say when you only seem to mention part of the story.
    The part that suites you.
    They way you were characterising the story I thought he had just kicked out 88 families, immediately, for no particular reason at all.
    I'd be the first person horrified if that was actually happening.

I knew that.

It looks as if they are being 'kicked out' of deteriorating properties that cost a fortune to maintain.

Judging from what you have actually posted, It's probably a good idea for anybody to actually read the story elsewhere, themselves, because you seem incapable of posting ALL of the facts.

Too paranoid.
    You have not been around here that long, so I understand your reservations.
    I can assure you I'm not a police officer.
    I live in England for pity's sake.
    What have I got to gain?

This thread is about how the media portrays the homeless.
    It seems to be a bit of 'pot and kettle' with you, to be honest.
    That's a real shame.

You confuse trying to be honest and fair with being on a particular side.

The only reason I'm asking questions and questioning your posts is because we need accurate and honest information.
    The WHOLE story. Not just the parts you feel like sharing.
    Is that unfair?

:confused:

6. stormountainman

Odon, I'm so happy and thrilled for you. Now I have to sit on my hands to keep from waving at everybody.

7. odonII

odonII O

Why?

8. Paulwenz

Paulwenz Banned

Media blames the victims .

Country Joe McDonald sang many songs about social disparity.

9. stormountainman

Hi Paulwenz, I met Country Joe three years ago. He's a cool guy. Remember when Hippies were just ordinary poor people who would give you their last cigarette or the shirt off their back. A real Hippy was never a selfish person, or a person who sided with the government against poor homeless people. And this is supposed to be a Hippy site, where folks can disseminate love, caring, and goodness.

10. odonII

odonII O

Steering the convo' a little more positively...

....for some reason stories about the homeless keep cropping up on my Facebook news feed...

Unconventional Portrait Project Captures A Different Side Of Homelessness

When we think of a photography series capturing the faces of homelessness, a few very specific images come to mind. They usually involve black-and-white photos of subjects in their makeshift homes or on the city streets that give a dark but realistic impression of homeless life.

Photographer Jan Banning wanted to separate himself from this style of portraiture, choosing to focus on the person rather than their living situation.
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/08/26/jan-banning-_n_3817103.html?ncid=edlinkusaolp00000009

11. Paulwenz

Paulwenz Banned

Storm,

i was listening to him the other day in the car driving in the middle of nowhere.
    The world needs more people who think like him.

Really special you met him!

12. Logan 5

Logan 5 Confessed gynephile Lifetime Supporter

All I can say is wait until you guys...YOU...are homeless. I have been. To say it sucks is such an understatement. Doesn't matter if you have the money to rent a place, and it doesn't matter if the law is on your side, sometimes nothing matters.

13. nectar

nectar Member

At the end of the day, no-one should have to be homeless. No matter if YOU think they should try harder. No matter if THEY are not living their life exactly how you are living yours. Shelter should be available for everyone, food should be available for everyone, water- these are human rights not privileges. No-one should be chastised for sleeping outside, in a park, on a bench, if they can sit there in the day why can they not sleep there at night?

14. scratcho

scratcho Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

They're mostly labeled as feckless, lazy, drunken/drugged out bums. Once you get down so far--it's well nigh impossible to pull oneself back up. And what Nectar said.

15. Driftwood Gypsy

Driftwood Gypsy Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

as a transient myself, i find anyone who lives in something other than a house or apartment, i.e. alternative living, is looked upon, especially by law enforcement, with scorn, pity, and suspicion. what do you mean you don't have an address?

16. scratcho

scratcho Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Cops reflect the attitude of those they are known to protect. That is--not the homeless. Not paid to think either--just roust those that find themselves down and out.

17. Indy Hippy

Indy Hippy Zen & Bearded

When I lived homeless I did it in a small town and stayed out in the woods a half mile from town. Never got busted by the county mounties down there though, only two of 'em after all