How the media portrays the homeless.

Discussion in 'The Media' started by E Rock, May 29, 2013.

1. E Rock

E Rock Guest

I have noticed a trend in certain cities where the news announcers and/or newspapers will say that a crime was committed, and then emphasize the fact that the perpetrator was "homeless".

If they did that to people who live indoors, and announced the fact that they are "living indoors" every time a housed person committed a crime, I'd be willing to bet that there are 500 crimes committed by a housed person, for every crime committed by a homeless person.

If you look at that on a "per-capita basis", that would make homeless people actually mathematically less likely to commit a crime than a housed person.

Yet the media continues to demonize and target the homeless.

Maybe every time one of us sees that on tv or in the papers, we could call or write to that station or news paper and explain to them that we don't approve of their type of unjust demonization and scapegoating of the less fortunate.

2. ScrubPuppy

ScrubPuppy Member

It doesn't seem to be a common practice in my city, or maybe the homeless here stay out of trouble for the most part.

3. Ulver56

Ulver56 Banned

The way homeless people a treated by the majority is disgusting anyway. With it be in the media or the general public

4. stormountainman

stormountainman Soy Un Truckero

In Fort Collins, Colorado, the cops have nothing better to do other than to go after the homeless. The cops issue tickets for sleeping in parks, vehicles, and on river banks. The tickets cost $125 each. There are nearly 500 homeless people there and only two shelters. One has only 23 beds, 11 of which are upper bunks that older guys cannot climb. The other shelter is similar, only filthy with mice, bed bugs, and cock-roaches. The housing authority there makes you wait five years before they would help you. Over 50 people have died there in the last three years. Some of them froze to death in the cold.

5. odonII

odonII O

I get the feeling 1/3 of this is true. I'm not sure why.

6. Aerianne

Aerianne Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

OP, you're right. I don't watch t.v. but I can remember what you're talking about from when I did about 7 years ago.

7. *MAMA*

*MAMA* Perfectly Imperfect

I love near there. I never realized there were that many homeless people in that area. I've never seen more than a couple here and there.

8. skitzo child

skitzo child PEACEFUL LIBRA

I see thr homless as crazies thats how there portayed

9. odonII

odonII O

Things change.

10. odonII

odonII O

You love near there? Are you a prosti...ok, just joking. From what I can gather the situation isn't as grim. But I do not live there. I do remember a poster over exaggerating the issue, though, from the same lo'cal'. Investigate how many homeless shelters there are in Fort Collins, Colorado (I counted over 6) - then go from there.

11. *MAMA*

Haha, no I'm not :p. That city is actually a very nice place. I have family there, and have never heard anything negative about it. Then again, I've never explored past the middle class suburbia, and the bar scene. I suppose every city has it's good and bad sides.

12. odonII

odonII O

Sure. I never think anything bad happens where I live until there is a forensic van with police tape around a property. I just think somebody is over playing their hand.

13. *MAMA*

Forensics van? I thought those were ice cream trucks? :confused:

:p

14. odonII

odonII O

I think they may have a few things on Ice.... > < Does that make sense? Probably not > <

15. *MAMA*

Lol. The body parts? That explains why they looked at me funny when I asked for a drumstick...

16. odonII

odonII O

I think forensics deal with the forensics, and the mortuary department deals with the bodies...but, I'm no expert. Just watched CSI Miami a few times.

17. *MAMA*

Perhaps. \_(''.)_/

18. odonII

odonII O

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jAMwG5laREo"]Dignified Deluxe: a 1000 lb. Capacity Mortuary Cot - YouTube

I think ice cream is a lot nicer topic to talk about : /

19. Piney

Piney Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Media has it in for Tent City, Lakewood, NJ., they link The Camp to crime. just like they did to OWS in Zuccotti Park NYC.

see Youtube for Tent city videos

20. stormountainman

stormountainman Soy Un Truckero

Hey odonII, call the Murphy Center for Hope and ask them how many people they serve each day. Then Call Catholic Charities and ask them how many people they serve each day. Then call the Fort Collins recue mission (formerly The Open Door Mission) and ask them the same question. For your information-if you ever visit Colorado-the Murphy Center is a day-time only shelter. That means you do not get to sleep there. You'll have to sleep on the sidewalk. And odonII, most of the people who died from freezing to death or from lack of medical treatment were my friends. I did not make things up or exaggerate about them. I respect them, and you should learn to respect others by not doubting their word. In the west, we respect others and we do not automatically doubt what they say. If you come here, you will not make too many friends with that uppity attitude.