Appalachian winter thru hike

Discussion in 'Camping/Outdoor Living' started by raoutdoors, May 13, 2013.

1. raoutdoors

raoutdoors Guest

Back in 2008 I thru-hiked the A.T..

Currently I am driving around and exploring the U.S., with my dog Erwin. When done, I am looking to do a winter thru hike of the Appalachian Trail. Looking to find others that might be interested in doing a thru hike with me, takes about 6 months.

You can check out my current travels on Travelpod.com Look me up in search under ROAD_TRIPPER

If you are interested or just want to chat about the hike, let me know :)

2. raoutdoors

raoutdoors Guest

3. raoutdoors

raoutdoors Guest

Plan is now to leave from Harpers Ferry Maryland in September of 2013, hike South to GA, meet up with another hikers and then head North all the way to Maine, I will then turn around and head South back to Harpers Ferry, completing 2 full thru hikes.

Join me for all of it or just part of it.

4. Dalamar

Dalamar Member

The AP is a really good hike. You will have great time on your trek. I have never hiked the whole trail (just parts of it) but a friend of mine did. Always an adventure with interesting people to meet. Happy trails to you. Be safe and have fun.

5. raoutdoors

raoutdoors Guest

I thru-hiked the A.T. back in 2008. I hiked during regular thru-Hiker season. March - Sept 11, took me 6 months 11 days. At a super relaxed pace.

This time, I am going for a little more solitude and challenge, so during winter months will be great!

6. GardenGuy

GardenGuy Senior Member

I have tried some short winter backpacking to shake down my gear and technique for potential longer trips. It is slower going and there may be times when you need to wait out subzero weather and blizzards, maybe drop to lower altitude or deeper cover to ride out the storm.
    A number of years ago, there was even a late April blizzard in the Smokies.
    Sure you have to lower your mileage expectations and be careful.
    Snowshoes and crampons are a must in some areas.
    But the rewards of solitude and winter beauty are very real.