facebook gives me the creeps

Discussion in 'Paranoid?' started by seaofdreams, May 7, 2013.

1. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

I think it's a personal issue.

2. ginalee14

ginalee14 eternity

Not only does "the government" do that but people do it against each other. There were two channels on YouTube that were somewhat competitive. The FBI was involved, on a certain level. One person's channel was shut down. The other person was "found out" and his personal information was made public. The reality of that dramatic "cyber war" landed his wife in the hospital.

3. la Principessa

la Principessa Old School HF Member

It bothers me that most websites, browsers, applications, and even phones need a facebook or google account to connect to just to join. If I want to join anything, they then ask for a profile that has every detail about my life and who I am? Plus, on facebook I have annoying in-laws that like to come up with new ways to keep tabs on me and my fiance. Fuck that. I want to keep in touch with my friends but I don't want to feel like I have to let other people in on my life if I don't want to and don't particularly like them. It just perpetuates the belief that you HAVE to put up with pretense in every aspect of your life, even the internet. They even added in the option on fb to block people from seeing certain statuses. Like no, I want to post what I want and not have to worry if so and so's going to see it.

I have fake info on my facebook now. No city, no school, no jobs, no phone number, fake name, no pictures of me. I don't even show as engaged to my fiance now via the relationship link. I'm just a random friend on his list. If anyone asks, I'll say I don't use facebook. It's for my friends and that's it. It's enough that we have to worry about family and buttinskies, but also the government? Look up the new laws on net neutrality. The internet as we know it is dying.

4. crewcut

crewcut Member

This. and if you prefer speaking using your vocal chords as opposed to text, your also a weirdo now. Like this...
    Girl: no I can't talk right now. Me: why not? you can text right? WTF are you doing, taking a shit?

5. la Principessa

My ex used to be a text-only person and that is part of the reason we're no longer together. I can't tolerate people who can't keep up a human conversation.

6. AiryFox

AiryFox Member

I no longer log into Facebook.

7. AceK

AceK Scientia Potentia Est

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y8Rgje94iI0"]Facebook Data Center - YouTube

8. odonII

odonII O

la Principessa

I think you are slightly exaggerating the situation.
    Yes, some sites do ask if you want to sign in using 'Facebook' or 'Google' - but most don't.
    I can only think of Youtube and Google Play that require you to have an account.
    I don't mind that.
    Google does kinda own Youtube and Play, right?
    It's a disposable account with the min' amount of details possible.
    Not every detail of my entire life.
    I do remember when this wasn't the case, but the benefits outweigh the disadvantages - remembering countless passwords/ having to sign up to numerous sites I wasn't likely to use that often.
    Why did this change occur?
    I would imagine a lot of it is so random people do not abuse websites.

Every aspect? Erm, I don't think so.
    I suppose you may say: 'Maybe not, but there is a slippery slope.'
    Well, I'm not going to overly worry about something that isn't actually happening.

Why are these people on your 'friends' list?
    Why don't you change your setting so they can't see everything - if it is too awkward to remove them from your list of 'friends'.

Quite a demanding person aren't you?

I have a certain level of anonymity, and I don't post (on Facebook) everything I want to - but in life we do restrain ourselves in certain situations.
    Well, most people do.
    If I want to speak to somebody privately, I can.
    I can't think of anything I have an overly keen interest to post that I can't.

Wouldn't most of the people that know you know a fair bit about you already?
    Why would you not want people you have chosen to have on your friends list knowing where you live (city/town not your full address) or what school you went to?
    Does it ask for your grades and your school reports?

There is levels of confidentiality, that's the point.

Completely 'randomising' yourself seems a tad paranoid.

I have.
    And as usual America is completely over complicating the issue (see above for an e.g), and is dragging it out for YEARS.

The end result? Probably won't notice any difference.

9. AceK

AceK Scientia Potentia Est

10. la Principessa

Maybe it was a bit of an exaggeration, but it wasn't really necessary to pick it apart. Kindly back off.

11. odonII

odonII O

I don't think I have been unfair. Maybe it came across a little hostile. Not my intention. If I picked up on it being a bit of an exaggeration - what's wrong with 'picking it apart'? That's what happens on forums isn't it? :devil:

12. ginalee14

ginalee14 eternity

Did anybody notice that if you click on Trending, you can see all the public status updates of anybody who is talking about it?

Facebook's new transformation is sort of "twitter-like". For example, I just clicked on #tornado in Trending and I see that Lim Ai Yim has this to say:

Mike Seidel's status update is also visible. lol

13. ginalee14

ginalee14 eternity

It's the motivation and intent that matters. But it is a common forum style, to quote line by line and respond line by line (that "picking apart" thing).

14. odonII

odonII O

The intent was to respond because I had a different opinion. I prefer point by point rather than 'picking apart'. I could have just walked away, and it is likely all my points have been mentioned here already (possibly by myself) - but yeah, just having a different opinion and trying to share. Over share?

15. la Principessa

You did come across a little hostile, which is why I said "picking apart" and not just "sharing" :rolleyes:

16. odonII

odonII O

'Quite a demanding person aren't you?' 'Every aspect? Erm, I don't think so. ' - are, perhaps, not the best lines I have ever written.

This might seem hostile, but is my point : exaggerating an issue and seemingly placing obstacles in your own path seems a little strange to me :/

17. la Principessa

I don't believe I've placed any obstacles. That doesn't even make any sense. And people exaggerate all the time. I can be a little dramatic. You really don't know me in the least bit, so to say anything about my personality (being demanding, that is) is speculation and just really pointless.

My general point being, that having profiles with your personal information connected to many of the things you do on the internet make me wary. I didn't think I needed to elaborate. Exaggeration or not, the gist was there. I'm done explaining myself now.

18. I'minmyunderwear

I'minmyunderwear Newbie

me neither. the "keep me logged in" check box makes life much easier.

19. Meliai

Meliai Banned

Like this one, and you can't edit your posts here after a few days. I know this site is supposed to be anonymous but I'm generally more worried over what I post here than what I post on facebook. My Facebook profile is much more superficial and impersonal than all the crap I've posted here over the years.

20. odonII

odonII O

I just meant your barriers that can be overcome if you so wish. Security provisions etc. Not having people on your friend list. Lots of things you can do that Facebook provide. Yet you want MORE.