My seed starts

Discussion in 'Gardening' started by Lostsoul667, Apr 25, 2013.

1. Lostsoul667

Lostsoul667 Member

Are actually successful! How surprising. Heres the tomatoes popping up in my high tech set up.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

One question though, how big do you think i should let them get before transferring them over to there own pots?

2. Lostsoul667

Lostsoul667 Member

Heres my strawberries and beans

[​IMG]

And then the rest of my indoor garden

[​IMG]

3. poor_old_dad

poor_old_dad Senior Member

My general rule of thumb is to transplant or pot them up (move to larger individual pot) when the first "real" leaves sprout.

Peace,
    poor_old_dad

4. Lostsoul667

Lostsoul667 Member

Alright thanks for always being there with the advice

5. Lostsoul667

Lostsoul667 Member

do these look like they're ready for individual pots?

[​IMG]

6. dixie_pixy

dixie_pixy HighMandi

Looks like a good grow! I would transplant them ASAP. Once the weather is right where you live, of course. It should be fine now though!

7. Lostsoul667

Lostsoul667 Member

i got 52 plants started already and ran out of pots except for 3. Do you think tomato's will work in plastic red cups and powerade bottles?

8. homeschoolmama

homeschoolmama Senior Member

Looks like an awesome start!

I've planted tomatoes in all sorts of things. Plastic cups, shampoo bottles & 2-liter bottles with the neck cut off, half-gallon milk cartons are a favorite... pretty much anything from the recycle-bin works.

love,
    mom

9. Lostsoul667

Lostsoul667 Member

alright thanks i guess ill start transplating them

10. poor_old_dad

When you're transplanting, hold the seedlings by the leaves - not the stem. Leaves are hard to hurt compared to stems.

Peace,
    poor_old_dad

11. rollingalong

rollingalong Banned

how can you hold by the leaves ?

you shouldnt even touch the plant except for very minimal posturing inside the new pot

imo

index finger on one side of stem....middle finger on the other...hold upside down and tap/shake gently til the plug slides out with the plant intact....place in new pot and fil sides with new soil...bury up to the bottom node

12. Lostsoul667

Lostsoul667 Member

Check it out they are really starting to take off now

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I even had to move some containers outside during the daytime because i ran out of room

13. stoner oxy80

stoner oxy80 *"Senior~Stoned~Member"*

i do alot of growing and transplanting, and yes if you pinch the steam a little to hard it,ll kill some plants easy.

thanks for the holding the leaf idea. never thought of that.

my big hydrodrangia bush (spell,ed wrong sorry)got frosted twice already, it was about 3 inches high and the frost turned it to brown goo.

do ya think it,ll come back?

14. poor_old_dad

Lostsoul667: Looks like you're off to a good start, a very good start. All those guys will be needing sunlight about now, or A LOT MORE indoor light.

Stoner oxy80: The "turned it to brown goo" part is (probably) dead, but the bush should send up new growth.

Peace,
    poor_old_dad :peace:

15. wetsocks

wetsocks there's no one driving

after a few seasons of starting everything from seed, i've learned a few things i'm going to do next time. I'm going to stop screwing around with putting seedling in individual pots, it only encourages them to dry out quicker and increases the amount of time you have to spend with them (repotting and watering). Besides, the best results come from seeds that are sown in a deep tray and allowed to grow until large enough to be planted directly in the ground, and spend the extra time separating the roots and individually planting. The strong ones grow big and fat and the weak ones choke out. You can throw the tray in full sun outside on a hot day and not worry about the leaves getting fried or the soil getting dry.
    It means all the work is done on only two days,, the sowing day and the planting day. Everything in between is just basic practice of germinating, watering, and making sure they get as much light as possible.

16. Lostsoul667

Lostsoul667 Member

actually i started putting them out in full fun a week ago and leaves are starting to fry on my most of my tomato plants. The beans are ok.

My lord this has been a frustrating season. First bugs inside which i thought were gone but now they are back and now my starts outside are starting to die before i can get big enough containers and soil to transplant them into.

17. wetsocks

and pick up by the roots not the leaves/stem!

18. SunLion

SunLion Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Having exact same problem, lostsoul.

19. Lostsoul667

Lostsoul667 Member

anyone know the cause of this. Should we have left them inside longer?

20. wetsocks

either keep them inside longer or plant them all together... a tray full of tomato seedlings will do much better outside than ones that are individually potted, even if the individually potted ones are 2 or 3 times bigger. all the extra plants help shade the soil so it doesn't dry out... you want the plants to get all the sun, not the soil. or just use mulch