Best online reference to find out who is chomping your plants?

Discussion in 'Gardening' started by drumminmama, Apr 1, 2013.

1. drumminmama

drumminmama Super Moderator Super Moderator

I think snails are getting my marigolds, but basil and collards are getting small almost perfectly round holes in their leaves,up off the soil.

What's a good reference to find out who is coming uninvited to dinner?

2. poor_old_dad

poor_old_dad Senior Member

Dear Ms. Mama,

Let me check...

Peace, :peace:
    poor_old_dad

3. poor_old_dad

This is a very simple question that is very difficult to answer. For one thing, "a good reference", is a personal & subjective thing. Plus, there is such a range of possible problems, and those problems vary locally. The same symptoms in location "A" and "B" could have different causes and solutions.

To me, it has been (still is) about the system for determining the cause of an observed effect. I've found that a good place to start is either of these:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cooperative_extension_service
    and/or
    http://www.csrees.usda.gov/Extension/

Either of those sites will take you to your state's Cooperative Extension Service, which will get you to your County Extension Agent (or the one serving your county). You then will have a very local answer source. The extension services will offer different online services and other bell & whistles in different places, but their core services are pretty much universal. I'm very familiar with the convenience of finding an answer online, but being able to take a leaf, plant, fruit, veggie, etc., to someone & ask, "What's up with this?", is good too. They also can help with soil testing, classes & info... well, lots of things.
    Free, local, expert information from someone not trying to sell you anything - it's a good thing...

Peace,
    poor_old_dad

4. drumminmama

Extension office...of course.
    Damn, I've been in a city too long.

5. poor_old_dad

6. drumminmama

Culprit- cabbage worms on collards.

7. homeschoolmama

homeschoolmama Senior Member

My best reference... my mom.

Master Gardener for 15-ish years, now emeritus. What she doesn't know, she's got the connections to find.

And yeah, she worked the phone-lines at extension for FOREVER! The only time that doesn't help, is when you need a visual-confirmation... but then you can always take a leaf in. (Just don't bring 'em the bottom of your shoe & expect them to identify the squished spider - true story, happens ALL the time!)

love,
    mom

8. tenovia

tenovia Banned