Atheist Quotes

Discussion in 'Agnosticism and Atheism' started by Maelstrom, Mar 4, 2013.

1. Maelstrom

Maelstrom Banned

If the history of religion has taught us anything, it will. Not that any intelligent person today does not already know it is a work of fiction. After all, using the bible to prove god's existence is the same as using a comic book to prove Spider-man's existence.

2. bird_migration

bird_migration ~

Most likely it'll be called the "Dummies Guide to Religion".

3. autophobe2e

autophobe2e Senior Member

4. bird_migration

bird_migration ~

It just doesn't appeal to the masses. They should rename it something like "God and Jesus' Fabulantastic Adventures on a Tiny Planet Somewhere in the Solar System".

5. bird_migration

bird_migration ~

That de-escalated quickly.

6. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

I'm not sure proving god's existence has ever been the bible's primarily function :p

1 person likes this.
  7. AiryFox

AiryFox Member

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  8. thedope

thedope glad attention Lifetime Supporter

Mencken is a dick, santa clause is an adults deceit, a child's devotion is to god

9. guerillabedlam

guerillabedlam _|=|-|=|_

You're losing it man, don't troll these threads.

10. thedope

You don't think a child is naturally devoted to those who take care of them.
    You should use your powers of distinction better than to call me a troll. You are losing my desire to be concerned for your attention at all.
    Address the point.

11. thedope

It's my favorite atheist quote so far. I will come up with some more just for you.

12. guerillabedlam

guerillabedlam _|=|-|=|_

You should use your powers of distinction to realize I used troll as a verb, not a noun.

13. guerillabedlam

guerillabedlam _|=|-|=|_

"The science of any one century is going to be superceded by future centuries such that if somebody, say someone from the middle ages were to be brought in a time machine to now, they would find mobile phones and computers and jet airplanes indistinguishable from Magick, They would appear to be supernatural. I am a materialist, I don't believe there is anything supernatural but don't think of that as a denigration of the natural. Because if you were to come back in 500 years time, you wouldn't have see nothing yet, the physics, the engineering, the biology of 500 years time, will be so far advanced over todays, that we might well fall on our knees and worship it like the supernatural, but it wouldn't be it would be the evolved natural."

-Richard Dawkins

1 person likes this.
  14. thedope

You should realize that I don't care what mencken said about god. I didn't like what he said abut children.
    For you an atheists quote.
    I would have been circumspect on the issue of god but I had no guide.
    You still didn't address the point. I guess you have no quotes for it except i am losing it A fisherman trolls and so does a troll. What are you trolling for when you tell me not to troll? What are you trolling for when you post your favorite atheist quotes a sense of belonging? Rhetorical cause this subject has no legs.

15. guerillabedlam

guerillabedlam _|=|-|=|_

You are misguided in your assessment of the quote thedope, Mencken is suggesting Santa Claus is an archetype which controls moral behavior.

Just because we are in a thread which signifies lack of this archetype (as Mencken and many others here see it) doesn't mean you need to pout and shout about it. Perhaps you should start listening to some of the things DejaVu has said to you, if you are having difficulties understanding this.

1 person likes this.
  16. thedope

I have no reason to pout but I do have reason to spout.
    Right and what I said was that santa claus was an adults deception, Santa claus doesn't make children good in any way whatever, they are born that way.
    Maybe you should understand me before you critique me. Dejavu never tried to shut me down with anything but his reason.

Rather Dejavu doesn't try to shut me down but bring me up

17. NoxiousGas

NoxiousGas Old Fart

Well duh!

I hope you do know that in no way precludes or disproves the existence of a God, or any supernatural event, not even by the farthest stretch.

If that is the type of reasoning people are using to invalidate religion....

seriously??????

18. guerillabedlam

guerillabedlam _|=|-|=|_

I hope you do know that is an atheist quote???

19. thedope

The archetype that controls behavior is self interest.
    The adult deception is we have to be motivated to goodness.
    a good atheist quote.

20. NoxiousGas

NoxiousGas Old Fart

Yeah and as such it doesn't negate any theistic ideas whatsoever.
    As a matter of fact, the idea presented is so glaringly obvious to anyone with half a brain as to render it rather pointless and not indicative of anything concerning religion per se'.
    I'm thinking you should find another favorite quote to hang your hat on because that one is rather elementary.

I mean seriously, is that the type of crap people are applauding Dawkins over?????
    give me a break