Bindweed

Discussion in 'Gardening' started by BeachBall, Mar 2, 2013.

1. BeachBall

BeachBall Nosey old moo

OK - so I'm not the world's greatest gardener; but I do like to try to grow a bit of produce. I've put in fruit trees (apple, crab apple, cherry, plum, damson, greengage) and currant bushes (redcurrant, blackcurrant, whitecurrant) as well as a few other bits and pieces (gooseberries, blueberries, strawberries and raspberries) and of course I planted a bay tree.

Some of this has been successful, some has not.

BUT ... my garden is being steadily invaded by bindweed and I really don't know what to do about it. I pull it up by the roots whevever I can, especially in spring and autum when the soil is crumbly and the roots come easily. But, try as I may, I cannot pull it up as fast as it spreads.

Any suggestions, anyone?

2. poor_old_dad

poor_old_dad Senior Member

Bindweed is (as you know) one of the worst, worst, worst problems. When you "pull it up by the roots", what often happens is the roots break off under ground & a new place to sprout is formed.
    As with any aggressive weed plant, if you do pull it up & you plan to throw it on the compost pile, be sure, SURE, it is dead & totally dried out before you do.
    I wish I had better news for you, but are only 3 ways I know of to rid your self of the bindweed. None are easy or quick.
    1. Learn to recognize and identify the fresh sprouts as early as possible, then cut or pinch off the sprout. Don't let the leaves open, that stores energy in the roots & the roots are what you're trying to kill. You need to do this every day or two, and keep it up for a while after you no longer find sprouts. How long after? I don't know... basically you'll need to be ever watchful. Repeat: not easy or quick, but it will work.
    2. Bindweed does not compete well. A thick planting of alfalfa can smother the bindweed.
    3. Goats will eat bindweed (along with everything else). Not a great idea in a garden, but it will work, eventually.

Here is a good site:
    http://www.ipm.ucdavis.edu/PMG/PESTNOTES/pn7462.html

One last thing, this goes against my beliefs and most of those around here, but in all honestly, Roundup, along with killing everything else, will also kill bindweed. At least with goats, you get milk & cheese, fertilizer and if you're inclined - meat.

Peace,
    poor_old_dad

3. drumminmama

drumminmama Super Moderator Super Moderator

I used round up as an absolute last resort on an overrun lot...but I did it the hard way, literally painting each leaf with it, yes, with a brush. I'm thinking most liquid herbicides could work the same way
    POD, what about the vinegar trick? Could that work on it?

4. poor_old_dad

WOW!!! Each leaf with a brush. Hat's off to the dedicated lady.
    How effective was it, long term?

I don't use vinegar in the garden. Vinegar is acidic, and here in the south the soil is very acid already. From what I've heard & read it's not very effective.

There probably are other chemical herbicides that'll kill bindweed, but using them in her garden (on the garden's soil) could be a problem.

There is an insect control too. Bindweed mites, but after years, they still might not eliminate all the bindweed.. Colorado State University may be of help: http://www.colostate.edu/Dept/CoopExt/Adams/weed/bindweed_mite.html

Peace,
    poor_old_dad

5. drumminmama

drumminmama Super Moderator Super Moderator

Hey, I forgot about the mites...and I wrote about them...in Colorado.

I had to go through the leaf guilding twice. Never again.

6. BeachBall

BeachBall Nosey old moo

Thanks for that, POD.

As you say, not good news ... :(

7. poor_old_dad

Always glad to help. Let us know how it turns out.

Good Luck,
    Peace,
    poor_old_dad

8. Ranger

Ranger Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

BB, I've been lucky enough to not have had that problem in the 50+/- years I've gardened, however this is the best quick reference I've found.......
    <http://www.dirtdoctor.com/> try the 'library' tab to start and also I've had good luck calling in to the Sunday morning radio show to speak to Howard direct. Good luck hun.