Traveling America

Discussion in 'Camping/Outdoor Living' started by xoxoAthenaxoxo, Feb 5, 2013.

1. xoxoAthenaxoxo

xoxoAthenaxoxo Member

Yea safety is a big thing so thanks for you concern I plan to be as safe as I can. ^-^

2. indydude

indydude Senior Member

The Annual Rainbow Gathering of the tribes, I hear ,is in Montrana this year. Sounds like its on your guys route.

3. Doobieismyname

Doobieismyname Member

So ive been living on the road since last years national rainbow gathering in tenn. I travel with my pack, my banjo, and trustworthy sidekick Doobie the dog. Im currently in west palm beach florida but plan on leaving by the end of the febuary-mid march. Actually im a gemini, i dont plan haha but i feel thats about the tie i will leave. I may or may not pass through atl and/or memphis as i know phamily in both but im definitly hitching AROUND motherfucking kansas. To all you newcombers, welcome to hitchhiking 101. First lesson: STAY THE FUCK OUT OF KANSAS. Haha but seriously...im not kidding

Anyways, ill probably take interstate 10 west on and through nola and texas and pass through arizona because i would like to stop by yuma arizona and visit some old friends on the way to montana. Most likely gonna pass through cali, maybe oregon and washington two, both beautiful places.

After montana its BC for me for the international gathering in august, check it out if you havent already. I just got back from the gathering in palenque. BEAUTIFUL experience. My favorite gathering thus far.

Anyway, if any of you kiddos along the way run into me and would like to join the pack me and doobie will gladly except you.

Remember: you dont NEED money period
    You are a master manifestor!
    All of your limitations are in your mind!
    Whereever you are is where your meant to be in the moment
    All that you need is always within reach , whether through physical or metaphysical manifestation
    If you ever feel stuck, quit cryin, toughin up and stick that thumb out!

4. xoxoAthenaxoxo

xoxoAthenaxoxo Member

That sounds great. I cant wait to go everyday I'm getting more excited. I'll keep in mind to avoid Kansas but I got to ask why. If I see Doobie and you i'll make sure to say hi. ^-^

5. xoxoAthenaxoxo

xoxoAthenaxoxo Member

So I just randomly feel like updating. I'm still walking and getting ready. I'm still trying to find people to walk to but I know no matter what If I have to I'll go alone. Anyways I figured I update and say hi to everyone again and just see if people want to talk. ^-^

6. Doobieismyname

Doobieismyname Member

My buddy got stuck on the same hwy in kansas for a week straight. People of the state do not like, support, or pick up hitckhikers. As for me kansas gave me weird vibes both tikes i was there. And i only passed thru in a car

7. xoxoAthenaxoxo

xoxoAthenaxoxo Member

Well I'll keep it in mind, thanks for the warning.

8. xoxoAthenaxoxo

xoxoAthenaxoxo Member

Well I had a interesting last few days. This last few days, I wanted to go without the internet and TV. Normally I'm online even just a little bit everyday. But I figured if I'm going to travel I will go days without TV, internet, and phone. I have to say it was interesting. I turned off my phone, I turned off my TV, and I unplugged my computer. At first I was ok, for like two hours. Then for the rest of the day It was hard. I felt so bored like I had nothing to do and I was just thinking about what people online were doing. But now being on after a few days its like I don't know what to do. At first all I could do was think of all the things I was missing but now Its like I don't even know what to do or why it would matter. Next week I'm think I'm going to do it again and make it so I'm online on during the weekends.

9. xoxoAthenaxoxo

xoxoAthenaxoxo Member

I really want to travel but I've hit a problem. Its nothing big but I thought I ask everyone here for some help. You see I'm trying to find traveling food. I want to starting tomorrow to start to eat lighter and to add the foods I plan to eat when traveling into my diet that I have now. I want to start doing this now so I can get use to eating like this and It will be easier when I start. The thing is I'm not to sure what would make good travel foods. I don't eat meat or High gluten foods. I love berry's, beans, fruits, vegetables like peas and corns, and rice. I'm trying to figure out what foods are light and travel well. I want to eat things that will give me energy and will make me feel full so I wont have to eat allot of it. Any ideas?

10. kenwilkes

kenwilkes Member

farmers markets are great for fresh veggies like baby carrots in a bag, tomatoes cheap, that can be sliced and eaten with pepper. Try to get food with a lot of water in it so you wont get so thirsty. Avoid salt. I eat a lot of green or red bell peppers. Good water and fiber.

11. shifter

shifter Guest

Till you're out there, you don't realize how much better you are at survival than you think you are. Not to play down the dangers (Don't jump on a moving train and such), but you'll find yourself being ok with things that aren't really on your radar as acceptable, because you just don't understand things like the beauty of a nice coat of train dust, but here's a tip, not to show doubt, but have you considered a short journey first? 2 or 3 days, no problem. Also, always remember the program they have in Cali (maybe everywhere) called uh....Homeward Bound. You go to the City Hall, and if you can have someone answer a phone and say they'll let you live there, they'll buy your ticket back to anywhere in the mainland. It's a once in a lifetime thing though. They (City Hall) Did confirm that they would, in San Fransisco, but I jumped a train to save it for retirement. I wish I could come help you kids find your way, but I'm chained to Indi-freaking-ana right now, so here's to next year?

12. shifter

shifter Guest

Oh, and one more thing, get an smart phone with wifi to let your folks know you're ok on facebook. And you might want to get a dog. A pit puppy. It's cliche, sure, but really, they're the best road dogs, and good protection always. You can find them inexpensively on Venice Beach, or be pointed to where to get them. I recommend Venice on your tour, too. The boardwalk is pretty amazing, just don't get stuck in paradise, there's a whole world out there to see.

13. Doobieismyname

Doobieismyname Member

I concur! I have a pit, best dog ever. Saved my life multiple times, especially when we were in mexico for 3 monthes, beautiful place but very sketchy in the northern parts

14. kenwilkes

kenwilkes Member

If you do get a Pit, never pay for one. I do dog rescue and they kill 100 a day at least in Atlanta. Go to your local pound and save a life.

15. Doobieismyname

Doobieismyname Member

I got mine from the hall county animal shelter like 2 hours from atl tops

16. xoxoAthenaxoxo

xoxoAthenaxoxo Member

Thanks for the ideas. That homeward bound sounds like something that be interesting to try out. I have planed a short trip. This month I plan at some point to camp out in my yard over the weekend. Nothing big, just to get use to the idea of sleeping outside. Then next month I'm going to head up to the campgrounds near my house. I'm going spend the weekends up there with no internet just kinda getting use to cooking and being alone out there. Maybe walking some of the trails. Just basic short camping to get the idea before I go on my big trip. I have thought of getting a dog and of course if I did get one it be a shelter animal just like my last dog. The thing is I'm worried i wont be able to take good care of it. I have two turtles right now and before this when I lived on my old farm we had about 32 shelter cats, a black lab we saved, and a lot of fish and other small animals. I know the basic for taking care of animals but I'm not sure how I would do it on the road. Is it a lot harder to take care of a animal when traveling.
    Also If I did get a dog do you think it be a better travel option then if I was to start in a group with others. I have been trying to convince at least one of my friends to go with me because my mom doesn't want me to go alone. But the thing is no one wants to. Do you think a dog would make a good friend and protector?

17. kenwilkes

kenwilkes Member

Small world, I got both my dogs from the same place and have volunteered there many times. Great place. Kudos to you

18. xoxoAthenaxoxo

xoxoAthenaxoxo Member

So a lot of people have told me I should try a shorter trip to start with. So I thought about it and came up with this idea. I would start in Arizona where I am now. I still leave on the June 30. I would go up towards Cali and make my first check point Los Angeles. Then I go up towards my second point witch will be San Francisco. Then I'll go towards my third point witch is Reno Nevada. And then my last point witch is Las Vegas before I head home. The point for these check point is I plan to visit less of these cities and more of the places around them but with these points I'm going to meet my family and mostly my mom and this way If I see its to much I can meet here and head back but Mostly because its my first trip my mom wants to make sure I'm OK so meeting her for a day or two at all these spots I think will help her feel better. Plus I plan it this way so its a round trip so after all is said and done I can see what it feels like to travel for a while.

At first I didn't want to change my plans at all but I finally gave in because everyone is saying I should make my first trip a round trip and mostly because I don't like my mom worrying so much. If it turns out good and I like traveling then next spring i'll head towards Oregon and Washington.

O on another note I was looking at bags today. I plan to get one in the next week or so. Once I do I will start walking with it.

19. Colorado Free Spirit

Colorado Free Spirit Guest

Hey i want to come with you im leaving on the 20th. I could meet you in AZ on the 30th though my number is 303 four thre sevvvenn 1 8 eight 3 text me! My name is kyle I'm 19

20. dreadzyahhmann22

dreadzyahhmann22 Member

how is ur progress? ive felt the same way for awhile. being a wanderer is such an amazing spiritual thing

21. ywarpeace

ywarpeace Ye Old Soul

if your walking have fun toting a atleast 60-80lbs on your back you have to remember clothes food gear etc it all adds up. if you do get a dog and plan on seeing places that do get cold pits aren't very good because their paws get dried out and start bleeding, id recomend getting a german sheperd or husky or bloodhound and remember also have to account for your dogs food too.

22. Driftwood Gypsy

Driftwood Gypsy Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

this looks interesting. how goes it all?