Traveling America

Discussion in 'Camping/Outdoor Living' started by xoxoAthenaxoxo, Feb 5, 2013.

1. xoxoAthenaxoxo

xoxoAthenaxoxo Member

So it took a while but I've gotten my parents to agree and now at 18 im going start traveling. I want to start sometime in June or early July. I got my parent's to agree and not hunt me down with a few agreements. Like I have to take my phone and computer so I can call and we can Skype. My mom has already agreed to pay for that and my internet so I wont have a reason not to call. Plus I'll have money to take care of myself. But the other big thing Is im not aloud to go alone. I really want to see new things, meet new people, and try new things. But I need to meet some people who will be OK with going with me. My parents are still to worry about me being alone. I don't care if its a group of backpackers walking or if they ride in a bus. I just like to be welcome to come with them. Im open to everyone, Im a lesbian myself and over all im not religious in any way. I try to live by a open way where as long as your not hurting others you can do what ever you wish. If you have a group that's traveling America and would be willing to stop though Arizona to get me please tell me. I'll try to answer any question about myself you may have. :daisy:

2. Dionysus

Dionysus Member

Well I live in Mohave Valley. I've been thinking of doing something very similair to what your proposing. But we gotta get to know one another before we can partake on such an adventure together. Going on the roads no joke. Im curious as to what you'll do for money,food, shelter ect. I just wanna gage how much planning you've put into this already. Do you just plan to travel trails and sight see or do you have a set destination. Or better yet.....do you just plan to go where fate takes you? Are you physically fit? Can you go a few days without eating? Slug a heavy pack around? All ? I ask myself and have been making sure I can do. I've been planning to get off the grid for a while now. Even though Im only 21 I've wanted to for years. Look forward to your reply. -Joshua

3. xoxoAthenaxoxo

xoxoAthenaxoxo Member

Well I agree I don't want to travel so I'll tell you what I have plan and what im working on. I already figured it wont be the funnest thing to do. I know there will be days im wet and hungry. But I think it will be worth it so no matter how hard I want to do this. For money im not to worry. My mom did the same thing when she was a kid and so shes agreed to let me do it and shes giving me about 50 dollars a month, maybe more or less if i need it, so I wont have to worry to much on money. I also plan to recycle basic bottles and things I come across as I see trash like that all the time and I know that I can make a little money off of it. And maybe If I can I'll try to sell my art though im not sure if anyone would want it. I am getting a tent and for food I want to try to eat a lot of fruits and grains. Basic cereals I believe will be nice as there light to pack and snack on along with veggies, and rice cakes. I plan to eat light and simple. I can go a day without eating but im not as fit as I like to be. Though im working on that. I plan to walk at least a few hours a day to begin. Once after I get my bag im going to start walking with it packed so I can get a feel for it. seeing as im not planing to leave until June I thought that would give me time to get a good feel for it and become good at it. Im not sure If i'll be off the grid really as i am a gamer and I love my computer but I plan to cut it down so at most i'll only be on it about a hour or so every other day. So I can talk to friends and family. As for where im go, I really don't have a set place to go. I do want to see the beach as i have never seen one but other then that I just figured I go where ever.
    I have been planing out a lot of what i'll need as well and have already started making a list.
    I plan to get a tent, travel backpack, a sleeping bag, a Atlas (though im going try to avoid main roads and city's and stick to small towns), I plan to have a first aid kit and flash lights, with matches or lighters. Im trying to keep the list down to just things I need. I also plan to only eat some foods as I rather avoid having to get anything that needs to be cooked.
    I know that It will be hard and it will take a lot of adjusting as well as I will never be able to plan everything. But im still trying and I've been planing for awhile. I hope your think about coming with me, I like to go in a group of two or 3 so It be great if you could come along. :daisy: -Davina or May

4. Dionysus

Dionysus Member

You just have a laptop right? Yeah you gotta start training like yesterday. Also try this experiment. Pick jeans, shorts, 2 pairs of socks, underwear, and 3 shirts. Wear those and only those for a week. Wash them in a sink if your feeling extra committed. If you can do that, well, the hard parts over. Once you get your pack together, pack it full of all the gear you think youll need. Unpack it. Discard half of it. Repack. Repeat until your at the barebones. If your hoofing it its all about weight. More weight=more calories burned=hungry more. Try sleeping on the ground in your sleeping bag a few nights a week. Learn an instrument if you dont know one already so we can busk. I sing like an angel. =D. Also look into getting a survival book from a local store. Flora and fauna ect. Fire starting, shelter making, water purification. Im doing all this too btw. Ill prob be taking a prepaid cell as well for emergency. Oh and hike as much as possible. With a pack. With atleast 50 lbs in it. If I think of more Ill post it. So much to do before embarking on a trip like this!

5. xoxoAthenaxoxo

xoxoAthenaxoxo Member

Yea all im taking is my laptop and phone when it comes to tech. Im going give my little bro my DS. I may take my mp 3 for music and radio just so I can hear the news or i'll just use my phone and put my music on it. I can't play a instrument, unless you count happy birthday on the piano and hot cross buns on a recorder. I tried to learn but I cant, all the notes get turned around in my head. But I do love to music and I try to sing even though I suck at it. I've already started on most of these things you said. I made my list of reply's then cut about half of it then cut another half of that. On Monday I picked out a few outfits this week im flipping back between only three outfits getting the feel of wearing them over night and for multiply days. And I have always washed them in the sink as it takes less water. I've been trying to do this so i can feel what is most comfortable day in and day out. I've already started walking, I even walked a while today and I plan to start taking my back back so I can get use to the weight. As for sleeping outside once I get my sleeping bag im going try to sleep in my back yard and during the weekends I plan to head up to the campgrounds and camp out up there on the weekends with just whats in my bag. just as practice to see what I really need and what I don't. Also I have a survival book from when I was in girl scouts and my brother was in boy scouts, I plan to get a more updated one. I have to get a plant book but I have the ring card that's small and clips on a key chain that tells you most common animal tracks and where the live. I already know fire starting but I do have to look up shelter and I still remember how to purifies water. I want to get a water bottle that has the purifier built in as well just for easy travels though. Over all I know there's no way to be fully prepare but im trying to get as much as I can. As soon as i get my tent and sleeping bag next month Im going start spending my weekends at the camp sites just to get the feels. There is alot to do thats why im giving myself until June to get ready.

6. xoxoAthenaxoxo

xoxoAthenaxoxo Member

Sounds great. If you want Im thinking of making Cali my first stop if your prepared as well as you can see all the stuff im doing to get ready then maybe we can pick you up on the way.

7. Dionysus

Dionysus Member

Id stay outta SoCal tho. Nothing there to see lol. Trust me. Used to live there.

8. xoxoAthenaxoxo

xoxoAthenaxoxo Member

lol Well I mostly just want to go to Cali to see the beach. I've never been to a beach only a lake when I was little. ^-^

9. Dionysus

Dionysus Member

Well leaving when your talking we wanna get as far away from AZ as possible. The heat will be blistering. Heading north I think. Oregon and Washington are very liberal.

10. xoxoAthenaxoxo

xoxoAthenaxoxo Member

That's a good point I hate the heat and I set June because I wanted to get away from it. What if we went up though Cali towards Oregon and Washington. Then I be able to see the beach and we be able to get out of the heat of Arizona. I really don't want to see any city's in Cali im just want to go though because I hear they have nice mountains and beaches.

11. xoxoAthenaxoxo

xoxoAthenaxoxo Member

That dose sound really good, I love to see them when I walk though, it sounds like it be really pretty. I mostly want to get some pictures and make some drawings of what I see so scenery stuff is fine for me.

12. TheOneYouHate

TheOneYouHate Guest

You guys got the same exact ideas goin on as I do! I plan on backpacking across the United States this summer, hopin to begin sometime mid-march.
    I live in the Northeast and it's cold as hell in the winter. I plan on heading south then west all the way to the west coast hopefully.
    I plan on bringin the bare essentials + my guitar. That means a pack with a few changes of clothes, a tent, tarp and cordage, sleeping bag, my trusty survival knife and a few of necessities.
    I forget who was postin here bout bringing an instrument but I definitly intend on lugging my good old acoustic guitar along. If anyone here decides to go though with their plan to travel I think we should discuss more and maybe one day collaborate our efforts.
    Interested in hearing more from ya!

13. xoxoAthenaxoxo

xoxoAthenaxoxo Member

That's great. Im glad so many are thinking the same. If your really intent on doing this then Im sure you can join us if you can make it to Arizona by June you can go with with us or you can meet up with us on the way. Ofcouse you got to tell me about yourself like age and so far how you are prepared. Like how you plan to make money, if your fit, and age because I don't want any runaways =P. I've had a few people pm me that were under 18 and I wont be helping underage kids try to run away.

14. Dionysus

Dionysus Member

Im down! Bring that geeeetaiiir. Im 21. Btw. Best shape of my life so im good to go!

15. xoxoAthenaxoxo

xoxoAthenaxoxo Member

I kinda wish I had something to bring that I could play but all im good at is keeping a beat on the drums =/ and I don't really have a drum to bring. But I cant wait to hear you guys play ^-^

16. Dionysus

Dionysus Member

I might end up leaving even sooner. Hate where I am. Thinking of just packin a bag n goin!

17. xoxoAthenaxoxo

xoxoAthenaxoxo Member

Your have to teach me how to play I have no idea how a uke plays. Im not going until June I haven't set a date but im thinking June 8 on a Saturday.

18. xoxoAthenaxoxo

xoxoAthenaxoxo Member

Well I would love to learn to play because I know a few singers that use a uke in there songs like Chris Drew. I would love to play some of his songs. ^-^

19. xoxoAthenaxoxo

xoxoAthenaxoxo Member

Okies so I little updates on my plan's:

So here how its going for me. I have been walking everyday at different times during the day for at-least a hour a day though im trying for longer. I have also have been trying different outfits to see what is comfortable to walk in and whats not for long points in time. I'm going to keep doing this until the end of the month.

In March im going to be getting my back pack, sleeping bag and tent. I will still be walking but im going try to start walking with these items. The point to this is so I can get use to carrying them with me. I will also be camping in my back yard to get use to the cold at night and just sleeping outside. I will be doing this at least every weekend spending most of my days outside in the tent so I can get the feel for it.

Then during April I plan to get my supply's.
    When I say this I mean:
    my matches, map, basic survival book, water bottle, medical kit, flash lights, can opener or pocket army knife, Toiletries, sunscreen, maybe a small cooking pot, A beach towel (as i can reuse it as a blanket or pillow as well as towel), and then a solar charger for my phone and laptop. These are the basic stuff I plan to take for sure.
    The other things I may bring would be, a deck of cards, small sewing kit, a journal, a art book, my drawing supply's, I may bring my easel as it fold up really small and can be carried on my back but I may not im not sure yet.

***If you can think of anything I may need or anything I don't need in this list tell me***

I plan to get all this in April and begin to fill my bag to walk in as I do plan to keep walking and this way I can get use to carrying this stuff.

Then lastly in May I plan to spend a few weekends camping in the near by camp grounds, spending the whole weekend out there to get the feel for using all these items and to sleeping out alone. Also Dionysus or anyone else in the area who lives close enough and would like to join and get to know me before We go on this trip your welcome. I plan to spend my whole weekend out there. It will kinda be like a test run.

Then of course in June That will be the take off and I'll be heading out.

So yea that's the plan. If anyone has any idea's tips or questions go ahead and post below. As I said before I don't have a set path yet but it will be though Cali then up towards Washington. So anyone who wants to join or be picked up go ahead and reply. Also tell me how your getting ready I love to hear what you have plan. ^-^

P.s. No one under 18 can join unless they will be 18 by June and everyone must have some way to support themselves. I don't mind sharing now and then but im not going by or pay for everything. If you wish to email me to ask or know more please do at xoxoAthenaxoxo@gmail.com

20. Pink-Zeppelin

Pink-Zeppelin Member

You set on your journey.
    godspeed

21. kenwilkes

kenwilkes Member

This is what I travel in. I dig the walk the earth aspect of traveling but I didn't find it to work in my 20's and it certainly won't work now. Don't want to discourage anyone from their dreams but PLEASE consider the general economy and state of affairs of the USA as it stands now. Lot of desperate people out there. Travel well friends and live your dreams. Just be careful

[​IMG]

22. xoxoAthenaxoxo

xoxoAthenaxoxo Member

That's really nice and looks like it be fun to travel in. Im really not looking for work, Im just going to meet people and see the states. Im not to worried too much about money. I told my family I want to travel so we talked about it and there giving me kinda like a allowance with some money. Ofcouse it means I have to be smart about what I spend it on but it will be enough to get me food and basic every month. I should with this have enough for at least a few years of travel. Plus its the money I would have gotten if I picked to go to school or do something else any ways so I'm not taking any away from my family. Safety is a concern which is why I like to travel in a group so no ones every truly alone. But I don't want to let being scared stop me from doing this so even if its not safe Im still going to go out there and try.

23. GenerationII

GenerationII Guest

Hey guys, I literally signed up for this forum just to talk to you guys. Specifically, xoxoAthenaxoxo, sandal_dune, and Dionysus. My friends and I are starting a communal nomadic thing that we're calling the tour of love. We're leaving around the same time as you guys (this summer), and we'd love for you all to be involved. Were taking off from, San , so it's not a huge stretch, since you all seem to be within a few hours. Our trip will take us from California, to Oregon, to Washington, to BC briefly, Then to Alaska, and then back down south again to no particular destination. We're all young people (18-21) and we're really just looking for really cool, open people. Please, please, please contact me through here, Facebook (Michael Christopher Bennett II, from San Diego) or email (mbennettthesecond@gmail.com) and I can talk to you more about what this is all about. Maybe even Skype each other our something. Thank you! Peace and Love!

24. kenwilkes

kenwilkes Member

Hey xoxo, I was really talking about the safety issues, not really the money issues. But I'm not trying to talk you out of anything. Just be careful, My point was, there are more desperate people out there now, and they might try to take advantage of you. I wish you the very best of luck :)