The End of the World

Discussion in 'The Future' started by Isadoran, Feb 1, 2013.

1. Isadoran

Isadoran Member

Ever since I was a kid I have heard people say the world is going to end this year or that. I can't even count it anymore. On my Birthday the year before last some people rolled into town and predicted the world was going to end that day. I knew I would still be here the day after my birthday. My ex husband was so sure the world would end last month. I was able to call him and say, "I told you so, we are still here."

I think people are so busy worrying about the future and the past that they forget to live their lives today. It is important we protect the earth as long as we can so she has a nice long life but we can do that without killing ourselves with stress. My personal world almost ended last fall when I nearly died and was in the hospital for 4 weeks. I am sure glad that I survived and I do not plan to have it end any time soon. :sunny:

So let us all sing, dance, and dig life while we're saving the world!

2. Maelstrom

Maelstrom Banned

That is one of the shortcomings of religion. It teaches you to not live but rather to expect something better after death.

3. autophobe2e

autophobe2e Senior Member

i always felt that the compulsion to predict the end of the world thing was always kind of vanity disguised as humility.

it seems like humility, because, like ozymandias, it reminds us that no matter how powerful we percieve the human race to be with our great civilisations and technologies, the universe is cold and uncaring and we are completely insignificant and can be instantly wiped out at a moments notice, and the rest of the universe will continue business as usual.

on the other hand, its also vanity, because if the world ends in our lifetimes, it means that we are literally the peak of human progress. we are as good as it gets, and we are worthy of being about for the end times.

it means we'll never be historicised, no-one will ever look back on our civilisation as we look back on people from the past, and laugh at us, calling us "primitive" and so on.

also, it means that our deaths won't be meaningless. like it or not we're each of us gonna die and the world no doubt continue after our deaths, and pretty soon we'll be forgotten, even great fame is fleeting. if everyone dies, no one gets to go on without us. our deaths take on meaning, we will part of the great destruction of mankind, not merely a footnote in its history.

4. themnax

themnax Senior Member

i prefer an indifferent universe to a 'loving' tyrant any day. i don't see why people insist on calling the neutrality of the diversity of reality hot or cold. its more like that pandora's box thing, that however inconvenient, its also where hope is always there to come from.

as for end of a world, i'm tempted to say sure, which end. not that worlds are built that way to have only two of them.

of course they're not talking about trees or squirels, they're only talking about their own species, as if humanity was some how that big of a deal just because will build fancy houses and then shoot each other.

well humanity isn't going to end with a bang, whatever its ego, nor some god floating down out of the sky, as if the people of planet earth were somehow some kind of a bigger deal then the rest of the universe.

5. Eye Contact

Eye Contact Member

We're all gonna die. Relax and enjoy the ride...

6. scratcho

scratcho Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

The earth itself will end,but we'll never see it coming. As far as sentient beings coming to an end--we may see that at some point.

7. themnax

themnax Senior Member

this is true. i also believe we are perfectly capable of causing the demise of our species, and that we are on a path that could lead to that result.

i believe ahead of us we may come very close to destroying ourselves. a world where few remain to rebuild, in the aftermath of having done so, would be a fascinating one in which to live.

we don't need a war for that to happen, nor some angry god. famine and disease resulting from global climate change is both capable of doing the job, and an all but inevitability staring us in the face.

no exciting spectacle, but decades of slow grinding misery, until once again, there are fewer enough of us, to live in harmony and balance with our surroundings.

no one day, or month or year, we can point to, before or after the "event" but rather a period of years, if not decades, of grinding famine and disease.

all because we thought excitement and trying to impress each other, were more important then how easily we could avoid them, with solar and other clean sources of energy, and energy and land efficient means of transportation, such as solar powered narrow gauge railways, instead of combustion powered automobiles.

8. Manservant Hecubus

Manservant Hecubus Master of Funk and Evil

An oldie but I still love it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kCpjgl2baLs"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kCpjgl2baLs

9. tastyweat

tastyweat Member

While this experience of ours has a beginning and an end... the basis of existence does not.

Time is only a construct of this reality, this experience.

The world as we know it currently will end, but only to birth a new one.

Every ending is a new beginning.

I look forward to new beginnings, it will be interesting :sunny:

But I still appreciate the now... and I'm learning to better do that each day. Live in the now, it is all that will ever truly exist... the past is a construct of our experience. The future is not predictable, albeit it can be influenced with action - it's nothing to worry about it.

Worrying about the future is only a waste of the now.

10. themnax

themnax Senior Member

i completely agree, except that i believe time to be something completely different then what we imagine it to be. i mean, we've completely created this concept of time as being the one way flow of experiences, but this perception is only the tip of the iceberg of something else entirely. the closest simple though not accurate description would be to call it a parallel universe. though that is not really it. a more accurate, though less familiar to most people concept, is that of a frame of reference, having all the cartisian coordinates we are familiar with, in its own context, but appearing only as a vector of them in ours, just as ours does in its.

at any rate, not entirely unpredictable either, just not a simple matter, both because there are huge numbers of factors involved, not all of them known, and because the ambience of existence at any time, is no simple matter itself.

11. MamaPeace

MamaPeace Senior Member

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vm5-f1Yatpc&list=PL3553168402165F19&index=10"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vm5-f1Yatpc&list=PL3553168402165F19&index=10

12. themnax

themnax Senior Member

i'm a bit less certain as to how much of it i have how much to do with doing, other then statistically. "thou art god" is a lovely thought. along with "no self and no other". thoughts prove only that we are capable of thinking them.

i do believe the true self reaches far beyond the merely physical, but the air inside of each unstopped bottle, while contiguous with that beyond it, none the less, retains its each individual and unique shape.

the air doesn't disappear with the bottle is brokent, but its possession of that particular unique shape, it would seem must, to some extent, in some ways.

and i did sleep and wake many times within my mother, before being physically born. i was born remembering doing so. remembering the dreams i had had in those periods of sleep, and to some extent, the feel of living before ever i came to be there. though not in the sense of remembering what people looked like, on those other worlds, in those previous lives, but that they were forested, the way nature, on worlds that welcome life, loves convolutedness of form.

13. samsingh123

samsingh123 Member

Hey this type of news always in rumors in every year's starting. In this year, I have heard from many times and from many news channel that we will die and earth will destroy in this year's end but nothing is happened dear. So enjoy every moments and live the life perfectly. :sunny: :2thumbsup:

14. scratcho

scratcho Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

When all we know and have ever known becomes naturally subject to entropy, the tiniest particles of DNA, be it vegetable or sentience will somehow survive the rigors/dangers of space. It will have been on a timeless journey and will settle on some-- or many other life giving locations-- unknown. Thus, life in some form will continue. IMO.

15. themnax

themnax Senior Member

the world is just fine. its humanity that its going to shake off like a dog shaking off fleas if we don't stop screwing up its ability to support us.

16. Wizardofodd

Wizardofodd Senior Member

That's pretty much what I think. I don't know what will happen for sure but I know that I don't worry much about it. I mean...whatever is going to happen will happen and I doubt that my own little belief system will change it.