Buying an RV

Discussion in 'Travel Talk' started by Changalang, Jan 27, 2013.

1. Changalang

Changalang Member

Me and 2 buddies are buying an RV and hitting the road maybe growing some :ssmokeit:? Any advice would be awesome! I will have 650 a month income from some property i own :)

2. AlmostFL

AlmostFL Guest

Make sure you buy something common so a lot of cheap junk yard parts can be found. Pretty much the same advice I give to anyone buying any vehicle.

3. Changalang

Changalang Member

Any advice on a common type of RV to buy that older and more on the cheap side? I have been browsing. These things are expensive!!! But i have to get one ASAP. I cant sit at this job anymore lol. Doesnt sound bad but it takes its toll on ones spirit. Thanks for the advice!! :2thumbsup:

4. sasktraveler

sasktraveler Guest

How big do you need it? I would suggest a GMC or Chev C class with a 350 motor. Easy to get parts and repair. All RVs are awful for fuel consumption but the 350s not bad if you dont exceed 50mph.Avoid the older RV s with Dodge engines

5. fleamarketvendor

fleamarketvendor Member

Changalang,

On older motor homes parts can be expensive. I bought a Class C because they're basically big vans. Most parts are normally in junkyards. So far regular auto parts stores have had any new or rebuilt parts I've needed. Any mom and pop that can work on a van can work on a Class C- the only difficulty is height. Make sure you get 16" rims. It's getting harder to find 16.5 inch tires. Many times the "fantastic" deal Class C's will need all 6 tires- if they're 16.5" good luck. I think only one manufacturer makes them.

Class A's are more like commercial trucks. Parts are harder to find and more expensive. Of course the parts are heavier duty. Tires run about twice the cost of Class C tires. They do have much more space for length and greater load carrying ability.

When looking to buy was comparing a Class A and a Dodge C. Both had windshield cracks. I found a replacement "A" half windshield and found shipping and handling ALONE were more than the total cost (including parts and labor) or replacing the C's entire windshield. Cracked windshields are common because they're so expensive to replace. Power steps are NOT easy or cheap to fix even though the owners will tell you it is. They're lying. If it were easy or cheap they'd have fixed it before trying to sell it.

C's are going to be on Chevy, Dodge, or Ford "cutaway" vans. They share the same quirks as similar model and year cargo vans. What ever your favorite brand might be will work just fine. If a particular brand was junk- it wouldn't be around. There are a lot of all makes on the market. Condition is much more important.

Mileage sucks. But too small and the engine won't last and likely won't have overdrive. The smaller engine seems to work harder and burns the same amount of fuel as the larger ones. A 350 cu/in is pretty much minimum. I know a guy who wore out two of those in class C's.

Low tire pressure can cost a lot of mpg. I drive a little under 55 mph and approach 12 mpg with a 460 and overdrive if everything is running well and tuned up. In mountains or with a strong headwind forget it.

Absence of leaks is the biggest thing. Roof and the repair of the front overhead bunk are on a Class C is a major operation. The affinity group's Class C forums have some good rebuild threads:

http://forums.trailerlife.com/Index.cfm/fuseaction/listings/forum/23.cfm

fleamarketvendor