Should i be concerned for my house plant

Discussion in 'Gardening' started by Lostsoul667, Jan 25, 2013.

1. Lostsoul667

Lostsoul667 Member

Well i went in to check the soil today to see if the plants needed water today and i noticed a bug hoping around in the one plant. So i leaned in closer and saw the soil crawling with little bugs. So should i be concerned for my plant at all?

The norfolk island pine next to it didn't have any bugs that i could see. So do i need to worry about moving it away to keep the bugs from spreading?

Also the plant was given to me by an old roommates friend and he never told me what it was called so if anyone knows the name i would greatly appreciate it.

[​IMG]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

2. deleted

deleted Visitor

fungus gnats. you are not eating the plant. a little mist of home and garden spray on the soil will solve the problem.

water less for a little while. they are in search of moisture.

3. Lostsoul667

Lostsoul667 Member

thanks for the help, glad its nothing to serious i like this little plant. So do you think the plant will be ok for around another week and half, I haven't been budgeting my money so well this month and im broke till the next check comes in.

4. deleted

deleted Visitor

ya. just let it dry up a little and the bugs will go to the bottom and youll not see them. when u water again they surface more, like worms do, more air at the surface. you can kill em then..

your tree will not be harmed by the insect killer.. but the bugs will rob the plant of nutrients : its a slow death on the plant youll not notice til to late. good news is they are not hard to kill. -[permanently.

5. Lostsoul667

Lostsoul667 Member

well thats good that it won't die right away so it'll give me time to get the cash for the home and garden spray.

Although I did a little more searching on google and found some homemade remedies to kill the gnats. I think i might try a diluted rubbing alcohol or vodka spray since i have that laying around the house.

thanks again for all the help

6. Isadoran

Isadoran Member

It helps to get some edible diatomaceous earth. It is powdered fossils and it will kill the bugs. Wash the leaves with water twice a week and put the diatomaceous earth on top of the soil. It is organic.

7. tommyhot

tommyhot Member

Either Fungus gnats, Springtails or Soil mites. Use a systemic insecticide. For Fungus Gnats get some "Mosquito Dunks" and put one quarter of one in your watering can. This will kill the larvae. Use sticky traps for the adults.

8. deleted

deleted Visitor

you can always sprinkle tobacco on the soil. another natural bug killer.

9. Isadoran

Isadoran Member

Some plants have a bad reaction to tobacco. It is called Tobacco mosaic virus.

10. Justin_Hale

Justin_Hale ( •_•)⌐■-■ ...(⌐■_■)

Looks like a dracaena marginata.

11. Lostsoul667

Lostsoul667 Member

thankyou very much

12. Lostsoul667

Lostsoul667 Member

i considered doing that but i was lucky and managed to quit smoking.

Although i suppose i could go gather up some butts or something but i don't think i'm that broke and desperate yet since i get paid soon. i also heard from my father and said he thought he had some of the spray out in the garage you were talking about orison.