Best beers?

Discussion in 'Beverages' started by Awiseman, Dec 31, 2012.

1. pensfan13

pensfan13 Senior Member

i would be getting this stuff all the time if it was available where i am.
    there are a few good beers in my area, i not far from dogfish heads brewery so i get all their different beers. but there is an excuse. its expensive. the cheapest good beers in my area are over $7. for a six pack. the closest decent beer store is an hour away from me. and its a rare occasion when i find anything decent for the same price as the horse piss.

EDIT; that makes me wonder, the first time i had rolling rock i liked it, i hadnt had it for a couple of years at one point and when i tried it again it tasted different. i just figured it wasnt cold enough or something like that but maybe it was because it was made differently.

2. Voyage

Voyage Noam Sayin

Dogfish makes some nice stuff but ya, a lot of people don't want to pay $7-10 for a sixer, I think they even sell Dogfish out here in 4 packs. I'd be bummed if it took an hour's drive to get drinkable beer.

Now you know about Rolling Rock.

3. babyjay

babyjay Senior Member

hahahhaha been on a drinking binge of this lately. yesterday i learned that 1 24oz of steel reserve, at 8.1% is equal to 4 bud light limes.

i might start drinking some rum and dr. pepper right now though.

my favorite beer.... i've always loved 40s ahahhaha

4. Treath

Treath Member

Best tasting beer ever? - Okocim OK Beer, 5.6% abv
    Best Cheap/Affordable beer? - Steel Reserve 211, 8.1% abv

Right now I'm broke, so I look for some change and buy Steel Reserve to get it done :)

5. Sleeping Caterpillar

Sleeping Caterpillar Members

Fat tire is the greatest. Sweet home Colorado is home to some great local beers, I always get some fat tires and try new local ones every month!

6. pensfan13

pensfan13 Senior Member

funny i had a couple fat tires tonite, although only because the tap on the norfolk ipa was empty. i was in the mood for a hoppy beer but the bar i was at only has one hoppy beer.

7. pensfan13

pensfan13 Senior Member

I enjoy making my own recipes. But honestly i am not a fan of the work. And everyone says its not a lot of work but that plus the having to wait a couple months make me not brew my own as much as i would like to.

8. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

hofbrau

9. JackTheChan

JackTheChan Member

After the trip to Europe, I can't like American beer anymore. :D I fell in love with German, Austrian and Czech beer. Brands like Budvar, Pilsner, Berliner weisse or Bernard are among my most favourites. There are other great beers that I've tried, but I can't remember their names.

10. Sig

Sig Senior Member

heh, you need to get around America more. American craft brewers, I think, produce some of the best beers in the world.

11. bird_migration

bird_migration ~

Best beer ever? Depends on the occasion. Let's say the occasion is sitting on a terrace in the summer sun, then I would prefer a light beer with a zest of lemon, like Hoegaarden.

Best American beer? Not a big fan of American beers. Let the beermaking be done by the ones who know a good beer when they taste one; Europeans. ;)

12. blondgrrl

blondgrrl Member

Who can chose just ONE?

First and foremost, I love stouts. My personal faves are Green Flash Double Stout and a local one from a brewery near where I am in Numazu, Shizuoka, Japan called "Dark Sky". Then there are the IPAs- right now I'm drinking a Stone IPA.

I'm just now learning about American craft beer from my beer geek, home-brewing boyfriend, but I think I am catching on. I now understand the difference between Belgians, wheat beers, stouts, ales, IPAs, and barely wine. :)

13. Ranger

Ranger Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

San Francisco's own Anchor Steam Porter

14. sunfighter

sunfighter Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

My favorite beer for the last year, and it's taken Boston by storm, is Brooklyn Lager.

15. calgirl

calgirl Senior Member

I'm proud to say that Stone and Green Flash are brewerys in the city where I live. Apparently we are the craft beer capital of the USA. I too have been learning a lot about beers. One feature of the color is how long the SAME grain is roasted.

A few more favorites are Port Brewing Shark, and Coronado Mermaid Red.

I want a geek home brewing person in my house. That would be the best !!

16. Voyage

Voyage Noam Sayin

That's pretty cool to be able to get things like Stone and Green Flash there in Japan.
    And ya, that double stout is really a fine brew.

Cal... I'll buy ya a beer, the time spent brewing could be better used other ways... :)

17. blondgrrl

blondgrrl Member

Yeah, I'm lucky that my bf is friends with a guy who imports craft beer from the US. I wouldn't even have known WHERE to get it otherwise, because its only sold in certain shops in the Tokyo metro area and parts of Yokohama. American craft beer and craft beer in general is catching on fast here, but its still relitively niche market. Most Japanese still just drink Kirin or Asahi and think thats the BOMB! hahaha...I'm such a beer snob, LOL

This guy recently opened his own bar, with coolers full of bottled beer from every major American craft brewery and some lesser known ones. If I believed in god, that's what I'd picture heaven as being like! :)

You're in San Diego, I take it? Lucky dog. :)

18. pensfan13

pensfan13 Senior Member

You do know that america is filled with europeans dont you?
    Do you think they forget how to brew somewhere in the middle of the atlantic?

19. Pressed_Rat

Pressed_Rat Do you even lift, bruh?

Clearly you've never had an American craft beer.

Hoegaarden used to be a good beer, but is pretty weak sauce now, especially compared to some other beers from that part of the world.

20. calgirl

calgirl Senior Member

Last night I drank Rock Bottom MaryJane american strong ale. It's good ! I had only 2 though, and this morning I can feel it.