Buying a motorcycle....planning on hitting the road and never looking back...

Discussion in 'Travel Talk' started by Dionysus, Dec 28, 2012.

1. Dionysus

Dionysus Member

Anyone ever do this? Long term? Work along the way for cash? I have 1000 guaranteed cash every month from a military pension. Think I'll have enough if I stretch it? Also, part of my trip is finding a commune to stay at and try to get back to nature. Plan on doing a video/picture log as well if any of you want to follow. This won't happen for a few weeks while I'm getting the bike registered and getting my bike license.

2. GLENGLEN

GLENGLEN Banned

$1000.00 A Month Should Cover You For Gas And Big Mac's...[​IMG].

Cheers Glen.

Pete's Draggin' likes this.
  3. Dionysus

Dionysus Member

You think so Glen? I'm thinking I may bike to a dif state every month or so. Stay at campsites and rv parks with tent spaces. Meet some people like minded hopefully.....

4. maryjaneguitargurl

maryjaneguitargurl I am just like you.

Man I would love to do something like that

5. hv444

hv444 Member

thats a great idea i think 1000 a month should be good if your only traveling once a month. maybe pick up some odd jobs along the way. i traveled around europe and met a few people who jump from pub job to pub job. even landed a gig making bars made of snow on mountains one time. if your willing to work you'll find it. i stayed in a campsite part of the time met a lot of good people

6. jambo101

jambo101 Member

I did something similar way back when, although i did it in a Ford econoline van,I couldnt imagine doing it on a bike. My wanderlust lasted 3 years,may have lasted longer but i had a major wreck with the van and when i got out of hospital i was laid up for 6 months and then i just never got another van,i got a good job,settled down and got into the married with children lifestyle.I remember fondly of all the experiences i had in those carefree days when it was just me and the van. its a trip but it does get old after a while.

7. IWonder

IWonder Member

Dionysus.. hi...

If yer a service related disabled vet, a lot of states let you stay at campsites (full utilities, showers, electric) either free of charge or at highly reduced rates. Oregon in particular, in 2005 offered DAVs 2 weeks per month, all year long, **free** occupancy at most (if not all) state campgrounds on preferred sites (at least with electric, if and possibly even full utilities). Check the various states, of course, but this means you can basically pull into a state campground and at least grab a shower. Most likely toss a tent, as you like.. not sure how it works in coastal cali, but man.. it's summer.. DO THE ENTIRE WEST COAST!!!!!!!!

Shit man.. drive it 3 or 4 times...

I know a place outside of Santa Cruz.. huge, huge trees that you wouldn't expect hidden away, where they are...

i am so happy they survived...

in any case, i would think you could hit *any* state campground.. maybe even federal.. dunno.. show your DV id, and they will at least let you shower..

a lot of campgrounds no longer have free showers.. you have to pay something like 25 cents for 1 or 2 minutes, but hell.. do it in stages & it costs like 75 cents, max..

Good luck, buddy!!

hope i see you out there!!!