Rv nomads

Discussion in 'Camping/Outdoor Living' started by tg2lynch, Dec 18, 2012.

1. Dalamar

Dalamar Member

Glaid to hear things are going well for you. I would already be out there but had a medical problem that set my plan back a bit. But I will be on my way soon.

Nice deal on the trailer. Sounds like you got a great deal on that one.

Yea finding a fee place to camp definitely helps. There is no such animal up this way. I think there might be some fee camping up by the finger lakes but I don't think you can stay for more than a day or two but I am not sure about that. Still looking into it.

Continued happy traveling.

2. tg2lynch

tg2lynch Member

Hey thanks for the good word man! Never a shortage of setbacks, isnt that the way of it..but best of luck with everything going on, most problems pass soon enough

yeah my first trailer was about as good a deal as they come other than a flat out freebee. The new trailer on the other hand set us back 8 grand, but thanks to craigs list again, snagged the deal well below fair market value. We sat put all dam winter in the north to save enough up enough cash to buy the thing. The litte old Shasta served well as a starter camper, but space was so cramped I had to go outside just to change my mind. Nothing like the winds of change to ster up the same old same old and I cant wait to get this puppy rolling.

My next plan is to find a deal on a solar power battery charging system and keep the honda geny as back up. Be nice to be set up at night and not have to listen to the dam motor noise while watching my DVD's.

As far as free land use areas in the northeast, everything, which isnt much at all, is limited to short stays( few days at best) and that just plain old sucks. Basicly the main reason I cant wait to get back to the west, and even though most areas do have a 2 week limit of stay, its seldom enforced. last time I was out in Az I stopped to talk with a fella who had been parked on a river front site for over 2 months without a single hassle from the passing by officials, and was still parked when we left about a month later. In NY the cops would be pounding at door 2 minutes after the stay limit , and with an attitude none the less.

Whats your location Dalamar?

3. Dalamar

Dalamar Member

From NY my self so I know exactly what you are talking about. I can't wait to get out of the NE. NY is beautiful but but its so expensive to live here. Not to mention too many bad memories. It's time for a change. Some times those winds of change take you where you need to be.

Have you checked out eBay for your solar equipment. You can catch some good deals on used solar stuff there sometimes.

I can imagine that if you are living in close quarters with your wife/girlfriend that can be hard. Bound to get on each others last nerve at some point. Still its probably better than traveling alone. Hope the bigger camper makes things more comfortable.

4. tg2lynch

tg2lynch Member

...Where you need to be... probably one of the most key factors people seems to forget about and what difference it can make. I will never understand what it is about the northeast that people think makes worth the high costs of living here. I unloaded my house here in NY 5 years ago and had I known what I do today, would never have bought it in to start with.

I turn to ebay quite a bit, for shopping as well as selling, but at the moment the solar equipment, which is realy a luxury, must take the back seat to priorities like 4 tires that run 175 a pop.

Funny you say about the tight quarters, but the fact is I did keep this in mind when I chose my girlfriend... had to be sure she wouldnt drive me nuts, as sure as I could be anyway..lol So far ( 3 years) I have no reason to drink other than for kicks. If we managed well in the 18 footer, Id think would only get easier in 30 feet.

But hey whats the scoop with your medical condition, hows things going? I've been through some issues myself over the last few years, seems theres a down side to those winds of change just the same. Getting old , its a real bitch sometimes!

Cheers, Tom

5. Dalamar

Dalamar Member

Thanks for asking. I am doing much better today. I hope to be over things soon.

I agree with you 100 %. There is no justification for the price people charge here in NY for rent. It's truly obscene. People pay a fortune for rent then the landlord doesn't want tenets to live in the place. There is also no reason houses should cost as much as they do here. It's why a lot of people are leaving. It isn't just housing. Gas, food and just every day living expenses are much higher than other places.

Don't get me wrong there are beautiful places in nys to live, camp,fish, hike etc. It's just too expensive.

Hope you are on your way and enjoying your trek.

6. tg2lynch

tg2lynch Member

Im interested in more information, is there a web site for this center .. I'd like to know more before making any long distance calls. Thanks so much , Tom

7. tg2lynch

tg2lynch Member

you havent answered my question Wendy...

8. tg2lynch

tg2lynch Member

OK thanks Wendy,will look it over and get back to you. One big key question: can a large travel trailer be accommodated on the property?

9. DannyD

DannyD Member

Mulege is beautiful! My favorite place in baja. I wonder if a mechanic, solar guru, electronics repairing, sustainability minded, gringo nerd with marginal spanish could find any paying work in the area?

Oh yeah....When is hurricane season again? ;)

10. tg2lynch

tg2lynch Member

lol Dan :) you should check it out, ya never know. Hurricanes hardly scare me, but if there's one thing that does, its living a life of no adventure and bordom. Never been to Baja, I may deside to go check this out, just for the hell of it.

11. DannyD

DannyD Member

If you were in an rv, parked right on the beach, I imagine a hurricane wouldn't be too much fun. Heck, high tide can be scary in San Felipe if there's a storm. I have huge respect for the power of nature.

I got offered a sweet caretaking gig in San Felipe but it would be really difficult to live sustainably there so I passed on it. It seems like it would be easier to grow food near Mulege or San Ignacio but if a hurricane's going to come through every year and wipe everything out.....doesn't seem like a long term sustainable place to me....not without a ton of work at least.

That being said, it would be great to spend winters down there at least!

12. tg2lynch

tg2lynch Member

Yeah you're right Dan, only good for a limited time visit, it would suck having to pull out every storm warning.

13. la Principessa

la Principessa Old School HF Member

I have a question to those who live in their campers...how do you keep making money for food and gas if you're always on the move? My fiance and I were interested in doing this someday and want to learn more about this.

14. hillbillyhippy

hillbillyhippy Member

In order to save money I might move into an rv full time, set up some solar panels and use propane for heat. I figure the house im in i basically live in my bedroom and only use the couch in the living room the kitchen and bathroom anyway

I am a simple creature when it comes to living means
    bed to sleep and fuck on
    kitchen to cook in
    couch to watch tv on
    bathroom

I'd still like to have my own farm though purely for prepping reasons and the fact I need room for animals and outbuildings to storage. can't store a few years worth of food in an rv...

15. tg2lynch

tg2lynch Member

Its a matter of going with what the flow, at any given time, allows. In simple terms, you stick to doing whats within your budget, and what is necessary. A nomadic lifestyle doesnt mean you have to be on the move all the time, nor does it change the fact you still have to "take care of business". My thoughts are that it takes a certain breed with a creative enough mind to make it work. Best to " have a plan" as well as a plan B. I myself love the lifestyle, however, just know it is not an easier way, just a different way. But if you're someone like me, who just doesnt fit into a square peg... enough said:)

PS: if you cant think of ways to make money or arnt willing to do what it takes to get the job done...this lifestyle is not for you.... unless you have a large life savings, S.S, or some sort of regular income to rely on.

16. hillbillyhippy

hillbillyhippy Member

beautifully put.

17. Ranger

Ranger Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

Don't forget to keep plans C & D handy.

18. tg2lynch

tg2lynch Member

lol Ranger... if you find yourself having to resort to plan C and D, chances are you had a few too many brewskies when you came up with plan A and B:)

19. Ranger

Ranger Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

I do swap meets and I can be an expert dealer in many areas having started with a coin shop at 19 progressing to antiques, managed a silver refinery in my 20s, more antiques (edged weapons & Asian porcelain), gem & mineral shop in the Haight, etc....

20. tg2lynch

tg2lynch Member

I am not a hippy per say, more of a modern day gypsy, but none the less share the same ideals. Power to all my brothers and sister who stand for freedom, peace and keeping things right. no matter what! This land we call home needs us more than ever. it is time again.