Rv nomads

Discussion in 'Camping/Outdoor Living' started by tg2lynch, Dec 18, 2012.

1. tg2lynch

tg2lynch Member

More flags more fun. All you need is a camper and a dream and some sort of money helps. Someone posted the idea of an RV tribe and I've been having the same thoughts for a while now. My girl and I, both in our 40's, are into our second year living in our camper and its been the coolest thing. In such hard economic times, it was a simple solution to many brick walls. We like to join forces with some others who enjoy a nomadic lifstyle and have the means to advance the idea into the future. The southwest has plenty of free land use, we took advantage of that last winter and had a blast. At the moment we are set up in lower NY state and seeking a bigger camper. Anyway, drop us a note if you're interested in teeming up for some adventures. We hope find others who may want to buy some land one day and set up an off grid community of some sort. Cheers

2. tg2lynch

tg2lynch Member

I guess no one has a camper , dream or any money..lol

3. fleamarketvendor

fleamarketvendor Member

Interesting idea.

I don't look in here often and right now I only have internet on Friday and Sunday. My broadband thingy doesn't work where I'm staying so I won't see any reply for a week. After the first week of January I'll have internet almost every day.

I've been "full time" for a couple of years and love it. I'm always looking to meet new people. That's what makes this lifestyle interesting. I live in a Class C but I don't consider myself a "RV'er". A gentleman I met a couple weeks ago describes us as "Travelers" after the Irish Gypsies.

Occasionally I do get together with other transients or gypsy vendors and travel for a week or so. I meet most at flea markets but Walmart is a close second with laundromats coming in third.

This past summer there were quite a few RV and "vandwellers" staying at the truck stops in northern Ohio. Maybe 6-8 every time I stayed at them. I spoke to several and most were working locally, unemployed, or "disabled". There's nothing wrong with that but their goal was to get a job/apartment rather than travel. It's their choice. I sometimes stay at truck stops too, but bouncing between the same 2 or 3 has to be boring.

Currently I'm near Savannah, TN and I'll start going further south the first week in January (Ripley, MS "First Monday Trade Day" is great). I'm looking toward the gulf coast but not FL.

I realize you've been doing this awhile but I learned last winter you need to "check in" frequently with a friend somewhere. I talk on the phone to somebody daily (the friend who checks my PO box) and usually a couple of other folks. My friend has those other phone numbers if I, ummm... turn up missing. He'll call those and then the local police in my last known location after 72 hours.

There are some not nice folks out there- and yes some well are known on Yahoo. Make sure you give someone as much of a name as you know AND the license number of those you're with. If there's no plate on their vehicle (or it's issued by "Heaven" and good "until the rapture")- get away fast. If I was providing the only transportation, I'd want to see the passenger's driver's license and email a digital photo to those who keep track of where I am. Letting them see and record mine is just fair play.

fleamarketvendor

4. ekd39

ekd39 Member

I'll be in my camper by may and I plan on going to the new england area because my son wants to see his cousin. Then we'll be heading down the east coast, Georgia to visit more family, then slowly across everything to slab city (I've been wanting to go there since I was ten!), then up the west coast to my brother.
    He claims I will love it and live there. But, if he's wrong then that's the beauty of the house on wheels.

Before I had my son I lived in my '92 dodge grand caravan for two years in the Detroit area..

5. tg2lynch

tg2lynch Member

Copy that Fleamarket, two cell phones and 4G mobil internet bewteen the two of us comes in real handy. More on her part, but its seldom that more than 6 hrs pass that shes not takling to some friend or family member in some state. Although we also found ourselves parked at some truck stop, this was generaly last resort while on our way to some interesting destination. We discovered a couple of pretty usefull web sites that give excellent info on free camping areas and state park that allow limited time use at no cost. These spots were sometimes a bit out of the way but much much more pleasant than noisy truck stops. The majority of these free land use area are more found in the western states. It would almost seem as if the eastern states are bent to offer up anything for free. When you're burning up a gallon of gasoline every 8 miles, free parking/camping becomes a real luxury.Free camping or Boondocing as they call it, more suits our gypsy style reguardless of the economic factor. The thing with pay grounds with hookups and all that bling seem more like checking into a hotel and lack that sense of adventure. With all the rules , fees ,checkout times and what not,all sums up to joy kills in our book. Although its hard to say these days, but is the truth of it is, I'd rather spend our dollars on gasoline, after all, its the key item that keeps the wheels rolling.
    I've been to Florida a few times and it just doesnt work for us. Yes the climate there in winter is a plus, but again very little freedoms or interests there, as we see it anyway. The southwest has proven to us so far to be most ideal for winter months and seemingly endless free land use without a single hassle.Unlike the Northeast, the first thing I noticed was the abences of signs starting with the word " NO". This was a real party maker for two people coming from NY, where every mile of road front is posted with NO TRESPASSING Signs or some other anti welcome material. Hard to go figure , but NY where we've lived most of our lives, and just goes to show a little exploring and sense of adventure can be life changing. We're only in the Northeast to take care of some business and hopefully we'll be back to the good life and warmer weather to say the least. Old man Winter is a cranky bitter SOB that we'd rather leave in the dust yesterday..lol Anyway, thanks for dropping us a note, lets stay in touch and perhaps we'll set up to cross paths and crack a bottle of good sause and Cheetos. Cheers to ya

6. tg2lynch

tg2lynch Member

EKD39... thanks for dropping in. Im a bit short of time at the moment, but I do have some interesting things to tell you about the Slabs. We spent a week there last winter and proved to be well worth the trip. I'll be posting next chance I get.

7. ekd39

ekd39 Member

Awesome. Anything you want to tell me would rock. Like I said, I've been dreaming about going there since I was little when I found a website digihitch. Which, I think, is now just a forum. But, still an awesome site if you've never been. Very helpful.

8. tg2lynch

tg2lynch Member

WKD39: Chances are you're going to love the Slabs, so far its one of the most unique and interesting places I've ever been to. We were there last Febuary with the masses of snowbirds after a short stay in Quartzite AZ, which we got board of very quickly. Anyway, the place ranges from very slummy to cool as hell so take it all in with an open mind. Even the most grand of cities have pockets of dirty slums so it all the same. The slabs are not far from a small town and the local police have been pushing and over stepping thier authority, as I saw it anyway. Now the info I had was this was abandon US millitary land, not public, so why police unless someone calls for them ....long story short, be careful if you plan to use the shower hole or hot spring , as the police have been arresting people for bathing naked. Now Im all for living natural and free so this issue had me a tad bummed out. Other than that was all good, lots to photograph, and be sure to check outside art gallery. Anyway, a bit of info for ya, have a safe trip out, keep in mind many rest stops in the southwest have been closed down, so dont wait for the last minute to start looking for a place to get some rest. Cheers

9. fleamarketvendor

fleamarketvendor Member

I've been without internet since my last post. Ripley sucked and I'm in Tupelo for a few days. There is a market here, I'll look, but I've only heard bad things about it. Then maybe Jackson, MS for the weekend. I'm planning to wind up around Lafayette, LA for a while. I'll either bounce around the coasts of AL, MS, and LA or move into Texas.

For those looking for a free place to stay in Ohio, AEP has thousands of acres open to the public with quite a few free campgrounds. At least one is open all year. The maps are at: http://www.aep.com/environment/conservation/recreationareas.aspx The required free permit is available on the Deer hunting link from that page. The campgrounds have hand pumps and outhouses. The public lands are pretty much in the middle of nowhere so theyre just to relax for a couple of weeks.

If the link is blocked, a search for AEP and recreation brings up their site.

Its kind of a small world on the road- at least at flea markets. I ran into a couple of guys I'd met at a steam thresher show near the Kitchen Aid factory in Ohio last year. One will be off the road for the rest of the cold months and the other is headed for South Carolina enroute to China on a buying trip. The "cell phone lady" set up across from me was next to a friend from Ohio at Tupelo in November.

See you on the road.
    fleamarketvendor

10. McTraveler

McTraveler Guest

This is a great Idea I would love to do something like this sumeday. Are you guys still setup in lower new york or Have you moved yet? I think Id like to move every weak or so.

11. tg2lynch

tg2lynch Member

At the moment sitting put on some private property in NY, we're saving money to upgrade to a bigger travel trailer. Should be in good shape before spring hits, probably spend summer in Northeast, and heading back west in time for Burning Man. The best thing is having the option to come and go whenever ya feel like it, other than considering our monthly budget. Running out of cash is sort of a buzz kill.

12. tg2lynch

tg2lynch Member

Hey Fleamarket: Ever been to Burning Man out in Na?

13. Starsrainbow

Starsrainbow ~om~

Welcome RV travelers, by the way in order to use your private/visitor messages & chatroom to function ... you will need about 20 posts (not including this one) for your profile to change from guest to member. :peace: :seeya:

14. JustPlayin75

JustPlayin75 Member

Me and my boyfriend are about to buy a camper, he is getting out of the navy and in order to save money we are doing this..I am a little scared but we went and looked at them and its not so scary anymore...Im excited now!

15. fleamarketvendor

fleamarketvendor Member

tg2lynch,

No, I've never been that far west. Heck the first time I was west of the Mississippi in 40 years was the result of a missed exit in Memphis this past November! Seemed a shame to waste a good bridge crossing so I stayed in Arkansas a couple days.

I was talking to another gypsy a few days ago and she was talking about west of Texas. I checked the Walmart parking pdf and it looks like half the Wally Worlds in Nevada and Arizona are listed as "no overnight parking". And it looks like Texas is trying really hard to catch up.

I would like to see the slabs, Quartzite, and burning man but that's quite a haul at about 10 mpg! And paying to "camp" while just passing through is ludicrous. I TRY not to drive more than 2-3 hours (150- 175 miles) without setting up to sell something, somewhere.

I'm in Jackson, MS (barely made rent- much less gas money!) and the closest reasonable looking market is a monthly called Bonnie and Clyde in Arcadia, LA- about 170 miles. I'll head south for Lafayette from there.

There's a cold wave coming through with freezing rain/drizzle likely along my route. I thought I left that crap in Ohio! I'll take a few days driving during the warmest hours to get there. Thursday is the earliest I can set up without an extra fee so it's not like I'm in any hurry to get there.

Another thing I love about this lifestyle is there's always something along the route to see, especially if you're not in a hurry.

And I hear you, running out of cash really IS a buzz-kill. I do my best to avoid that situation.

Speaking of cash, gas at the Flying J where I'm parked tonight is $3.09. A bit better than $3.19 in Tupelo last week.

fleamarketvendor

16. tg2lynch

tg2lynch Member

Awesome! I'd tell you its realy the same as any if you dont need a whole lot of space. RV's today with the slide outs and all make for pretty comfortable living. Biggest thing of consern is dealing with areas that get freezing temps, waste tanks tend to freeze up. An on board 5 gallon port-o-potty solves that problem easy enough:) Takes a little getting use to, but chances are you're going to like it and maybe even enjoy it as I do. Good luck shopping for the camper, and dont forget to barter down the price:)

17. tg2lynch

tg2lynch Member

So like corporations to snuff out anything for free right. It seems to be the case all over with few exceptions. With so many Walmarts open 24/7, I park untill someone comes knocking. Or post a note on the door, "doing my shopping, go away" !..lol needless to say, I dont take to petty rules very easily. In some creative way,there comes a time ya just have to stick it to the man!

18. fleamarketvendor

fleamarketvendor Member

Originally Posted by JustPlayin75 [​IMG]
    Me and my boyfriend are about to buy a camper, he is getting out of the navy and in order to save money we are doing this..I am a little scared but we went and looked at them and its not so scary anymore...Im excited now!

JustPlayin,

Thank your boyfriend for his service for me.

Remind him to get into the VA "system" as soon as he can. It only takes a couple of hours and doesn't cost anything. He'll have all required paperwork in at hand.

Not only might he be eligible for some medical coverage (including lower cost medications) but, for instance, Lowes gives a 10% discount for veterans. I'd thought it was for active and retired only but a checkout lady saw my shiny red, white, and blue VA ID card in my wallet and offered the discount. Goodwill does the same. I've saved a lot of money over the last few years. There are many other discounts from various companies including some contract type cell and data plans.

Good luck with the camper. Think of it as an adventure. I can't think of a circumstance where I would voluntarily go back to a house without wheels under it.

fleamarketvendor

19. tg2lynch

tg2lynch Member

So what sort of stufff do ya sell Fleamarket? I use to go to storage auctions years back, had a nice liitle ebay business going for a while. Once the word got out with all the TV hipe and what not, wasnt long before over bidding made it no longer profitable. had alot of fun with it while things were good though. As a matter of fact, its how I got my travel trailer for so cheep.

20. fleamarketvendor

fleamarketvendor Member

tg2lynch,

Generally I'm selling inexpensive costume jewelry- new imported stuff. The markup is good but competition is fierce. A lot is peace sign necklaces and brcelets. I'd like to add tie-dye T-shirts to the mix but I've never made them and reasonable wholesalers are kind of hard to find. I'm getting out of rings because theft is rampant. Problem is, I still have a few trays.

I've bought storage units but they have gotten too pricey to make money on. It's a crap shoot to see if you'll even double your money on gross. When you add sales expense it's not worth it.

I've never done online sales for myself. Last November and December I helped one of my wholesalers through their Christmas rush. They were retailing on ebay and some days they made two trips a day with van loads of stuff to the post office and Fedex. If you get back into it ebay, make sure you empty your pay pal account every night. Their problem wasn't selling but getting their money from paypal. There would be a foul up about every 10 days. There were two of them and each bought groceries everynight- a dollar item and at least $100 cash back from several stores. Sometimes one or the other would even go out during the day to get cash out of paypal.

I didn't like it. I'll stay with one on one sales even though the internet has cut into fleamarkets. They need to get the sales tax thing solved, including direct sales from China. As the states get hungrier for money, sooner or later paypal will have to open their complete records. Once the states get their information on the buyers, the IRS won't be far behind going after the sellers.

Heck, if half the ebay sellers I talk to can be believed, they could pay off the national debt with just back taxes, interest, and penalties! LOL!

fleamarketvendor