Do you Didgeridoo? :)

Discussion in 'Performing Arts' started by ScottErthSnd, Dec 15, 2012.

1. ScottErthSnd

ScottErthSnd Member

Calling fellow didgeridoo players

I've recently been experimenting with this fascinating instrument, wondering if we have any other didge players on the forums and if so, what were some tips tricks you could give a beginner :)

[​IMG]

2. AmyBeachGirl

AmyBeachGirl Member

I have tried it once but the guy said I wasn't any good at blowing....my BF says different.

Tell us the technique.

3. ScottErthSnd

ScottErthSnd Member

Haha nice :sunny:, yea I might write a tutorial type deal here for it that could be cool

4. AmyBeachGirl

AmyBeachGirl Member

Yeah it would be I think a lot of ppl think it is just blowing.........

5. windy

windy Member

Purchased one about a month ago. Watched some youtube tutorials but can't get it workin' for me.

Have an assortment of drums flutes rattles and added the didge thought it would be great for the grandkids but gramma gotta know how to work it LOL

6. MeatyMushroom

MeatyMushroom Juggle Tings Proppuh

I didge - although it's been sitting in the corner of my room for the past 5 or 6 months.. it's only a shitty little bamboo one I picked up for £14 at a festival, I've seen some beauties that I would have loved to get, but shit they're expensive..

7. Mothman

Mothman Senior Member

I play one. I have had for a year or so. I'm not the most talented with it but I still love it.

8. MeatyMushroom

That looks like a ridiculously fat pipe, I like your thinking

9. Olympic-Bullshitter

Olympic-Bullshitter Banned

www.youtube.com/watch?v=ROnnOqosshk"]Andre. DIDGERIDOO trance - YouTube

10. rjhangover

rjhangover Senior Member

Can't figure out the circular breathing. Funny, I don't have a problem with the harmonica though. I can play it pretty well. I just have to stop to take a breath every once in a while.

11. scratcho

scratcho Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

I saw a guy at the indoor Eugene market that made(I think he made them) didgeridoos that were 2 part--they had a slide like a trombone that would change the tone. I don't know if they were unique or what. Cool idea,tho.

12. rjhangover

rjhangover Senior Member

That's amazing breathing, for a guy with a half dozen spliffs sitting in front of him.

13. MeatyMushroom

Way I got taught was to fill your mouth with water, push it out using your cheeks and breath in. That's the basis, then do it without the water and you can keep filling your cheeks up with the breaths you take.
    Takes a little bit to get the sound out the didg consistently, but not long.

14. rjhangover

rjhangover Senior Member

Thanks man, I'll give it a try.

15. Olympic-Bullshitter

Olympic-Bullshitter Banned

www.youtube.com/watch?v=aLRfsBRonM0"]Rainbow Temple 31 Year Celebration - YouTube

16. babyjay

babyjay Senior Member

i have a friend who makes didgeridoos! there are so many of them in his place, its greatness :)

17. JackTheChan

JackTheChan Member

My friend has a didgeridoo and I thought that it's only about having a good lungs capacity, so I try to "play on it" and I couldn't make a sound! I spent like 20 trying without success whily my friend was laughing out hard... well I guess this instrument is not meant for me. But still I've never thought it would be that difficult.

18. Terrapin2190

Terrapin2190 I am nature.

I used to play a lot, had a friend that had 3 authentic didgeridoos. They're fun as hell to mess around with... as long as you don't mind putting your mouth on something that was hollowed out by termites :D It's hard to explain techniques... I never got the hang of inward breathing (breathing while playing to make a continuous sound), but rolling your tongue makes an interesting sound. I don't know why they call it 'rolling' your tongue, come to think of it. It seems like your tongue rattles more than it rolls haha.

Hmmmmm... I'm not sure what it's called, so I'll just call it vocal expression? Sort of like speaking while you're playing? Oh man! It's really cool when you raise and lower your voice when you do it, because you can literally hear and feel the frequency of the didgeridoo's note and the note of your voice harmonizing and deharmonizing as you do it!! Another thing is like short screams? Bursts of high (frequency) vocal output as you play can make for some really cool, sometimes spooky sounds. Jeez, now I want to go buy one!

Another fun instrument are Boom Tubes I think they're called? Keller Williams uses them when he plays solo gigs. If you find the right set, it comes with a xylophone-like stand. You can use them as a xylophone setup, use em like a didgeridoo (I assume... not sure if it works or not), or take em and beat em on your thigh or other various things to make sounds. Even whirl em around to create sound from the air entering the tubes! Let's see if I can find a link...

http://amzn.com/B0002F6MAK

Boomwhackers, they're called! I thought it came with a fancier xylophone setup, but apparently not. There's a few different sets for different notes and octaves. I'm sure the bass set would be fun!

Happy didging! :D