Solar Flares - Investing in non-electrical things while we can

Discussion in 'The Future' started by broony, Dec 6, 2012.

1. broony

broony Banned

If you start to do some research about solar flares, it wont take long to read some information about how scientists globally are very concerned about a large flare or storm of solar flares hitting earth destroying all our of electrical technology.

If a solar flare strom hits earth like that of the 1859 one....we gonna get sent back 100 years over night....

To lose everything electrical, really think about that....the world would fall apart....and really fast...depending on where you live, this might be easier to deal with at first...

The first thing to immediately happen i would imagine would be food riots.

If something like this happened in the winter...the cold alone will take many lives...

Their are just so many levels of chaos that would form...

So investing in things non-electrical. If you think about this list and keep thinking about it, doing this will be beneficial even if a solar flare doesn't happen, because the economy will. Don't matter where you live on that one either.

Now obviously some items are harder for other people to get. Regardless, we need food, water, shelter and heat, and protection.

So

Food seeds
    Portable hiking water filtration system
    A bike pump with a car adapter for car tires (have one and they are awesome)
    Good knives and im sure you can think of many many ways to use knives...
    Knife sharpening stones
    Axes
    15 gallon glass car boys or bigger for water and anything else you need
    Firearms and as much ammo as you can afford
    Hopefully you invested in a good first aid kit...get what the military uses in war.........
    How we gonna get lighting again when we run out of batteries.....

This list is huge....just start thinking...and a lot of these items don't take much to aquire and can be life saving...

I don't know what the future holds...but one thing i feel more than anything is something globally is going to happen, whether chaos from global debt...or the sun doing its thing... whatever it is, its going to test the survival skills of billions of people...

So yes, investing in non-electrical things may save your future as well as everyone around you....

?

2. broony

broony Banned

I did not plan on this thread being started at 11:11....

3. TheRealThing

TheRealThing Member

mills

4. deleted

deleted Visitor

tambourine ..

5. themnax

themnax Senior Member

people love to overstate cases for dramatic effect. yes emp's can and do temporarily disrupt long distance communications, even the internet. and there are other factors that contribute to the likelihood of power from the grid going down and not coming back up in many places. mostly because everyone will already be starving or diseased and thus unable to maintain infrastructure. generally as a result of global climate change and its environmental effects. this in tern resulting from the combination of our present numbers and our present excessive reliance on the use of combustion where better technologies exist and are available.

6. broony

broony Banned

I completely agree.

One thing technology has helped teach us, is a bigger realization of how insignificant we really are.... When astrologers were looking at the sky 30 years ago, they were seeing far less than they are now. Both in positive ways in new planets and stars and such, and negative in how much debris we are finding always impacting our earth, and the power of the sun....

I listened to a few good pod casts, with good guests about such topics.

Longest the powers been out anywhere ive lived was 6 days, and it sucked, bad. It was several years ago and we had water, but felt so fucking useless/helpless in too many ways.

If the power goes out for a month....ummmmmmmm..scary.

7. broony

broony Banned

Some people in different parts of the world live just fine without electrical power and thats that. Problem is for a lot of us if the power goes out for a great length of time, we are surrounded by people who most likely wont know what to do that would save their lives. That in itself can turn into all kinds of things....

Can't help but think its just too dangerous to not invest in basic survival items that can be used without electricity...the word 'survival' seems to make a lot people think of knives or guns...their are many many basic things that can save your life and they are not weapons...

and this whole thing started cause of the sun...

8. Justin_Hale

Justin_Hale ( •_•)⌐■-■ ...(⌐■_■)

Wind up radio flashlight.

I used to have a wind up radio years ago. It even had solar panels to run it during the day so you didn't have to wind it up.

I think most radio stations have generators. They would probably be broadcasting things like where to go for help, etc. Until they run out of gas that is.

9. MamaPeace

MamaPeace Senior Member

I too have researched this topic a lot and began to think about prepping myself. I did make a thread although mine was based more to do with sustainable futures without technology. The statistics are what scare me the most, it would take at least 5 years to rebuild just one power genorater (thats if the entire world goes out and if the parts are readily avaliable, but how would they import parts, how would they put it together, it would all need to be done by hand) and from what I have read, the population of humans could decrease by a third in a scarily short time period.

People have stated (not in this thread) that we should fear our governments over an event like this, I disagree. Governments can, and will, be stopped eventually, if that is what the people really want, but a global catastrophe such as a solar flare can not be prevented nor can it be predicted. There is also communication to think of, instantly we would be left without communication, even writing letters, and so contacting loved ones would be impossible unless you lived close enough. Same goes for actually finding out about the disaster, how would you know it isn't just a couple of days without power? A lot of people wouldn't, infact its likely the majority wouldnt. It is better to be aware of such things than completely unaware of what could be going on.

These things can't be predicted or prevented, and if big enough, the 'recovery' of electricity could take a decade. I say, be prepared and aware, if nothing happens then fine, good, but if something does then I dont want to have to sit there kicking myself and trying to keep me and my child alive.

We have become way too dependant on electricity and technology, its what powers our countries and wothout it, we would have nothing anymore, things we take for granted like running water and cooking gas on the hob would be non existant..

10. deleted

deleted Visitor

acoustic guitar..

11. Justin_Hale

Justin_Hale ( •_•)⌐■-■ ...(⌐■_■)

jew's harp..

12. themnax

themnax Senior Member

just because the net and cell phones might become inoperable during a sufficiently extreme solar event, doesn't mean everything electronic will be perminently fried there after. its good to have candles and kerosene lamps and camp stoves in the house ALSO. that doesn't mean you need to get rid of your computer and your electric drill. or your pocket calculator, or whatever high tech odds and ends you may happen to have lying about and find useful.

13. la Principessa

la Principessa Old School HF Member

The power went out for a week here in Florida after we had a hurricane. I think it was Wilma, in 2005. At first it sucked very much because there was no tv, no air conditioning, and we weren't prepared in the ways of food and lighting that year. But honestly, I got used to it after a while. You find ways to entertain yourself and it was nice when we were in the eye of the storm to walk around outside. I'm not saying it wouldn't be disastrous if an EMP happened, but humans are resilient, we would adapt and figure out a way to go on.

I love the internet, my cell phone, my video games, my tv, etc. but I would love to find a way to not rely on it so much. Because if and when catastrophe strikes, it would be good to be prepared for it. Now I'm in the mood to watch some Doomsday Preppers.

14. eggsprog

eggsprog anti gang marriage HipForums Supporter

Wouldn't your car not work, since all cars are now run by computers?

15. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood Senior Moment Lifetime Supporter

Older cars would be okay...

16. Meliai

Meliai Banned

I bet people would help each other at first until food becomes scarce. Everyone is used to being connected 24/7 to the rest of the world; if everyone woke up with no electricity people would emerge from their shells just to look at their neighbor like, "da fuq is happening? google won't tell me, dude"

17. themnax

themnax Senior Member

a solar flare isn't an emp. disruption of radiated signal broadcasts isn't preminent fryification of electronic systems. yes mag fields induce currents in wires, but a solar flare strong enough to fry your 3ds, you've more to worry about then you're electronix stuff. there's also this thing called probability. i think the reason we're seeing all this big deal being made about solar flares it to distract attention from human-mechanical contributions to global climate change and how easily we could stop doing so if we didn't worship money.

18. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

I'm more worried about the effects of UV rays on my skin tbh.
    I'm real Uv smart these days. =] it's a smart investment.

19. sunfighter

sunfighter Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

I'd rather worry about the mountain in the Canary Islands off the coast of Africa that looks like it might break off and slide into the sea, causing a tsunami moving at 500 mph across the Atlantic, destroying the entire East Coast of the US with 150 ft waves.

Be here now.

20. Gongshaman

Gongshaman Modus Lascivious

According to NOAA, the Carrington solar storm event sparked major aurora displays that were visible as far south as the Caribbean. It also caused severe interruptions in global telegraph communications, even shocking some telegraph operators and sparking fires when discharges from the lines ignited telegraph paper, according to a NASA description. - See more at: http://www.space.com/12584-worst-solar-storms-sun-flares-history.html#sthash.Cu4f7WcS.dpuf

They didn't have them back then but I think that would have been enough to fry most IC chips, which as you know are at the heart of just about everything electronic these days.