Fate what does the concept mean to you?

Discussion in 'U.K.' started by Maon, Nov 18, 2004.

1. Maon

Maon Member

I am a believer of fate as I see our personalities influenced by those we come into contact with thus our paths through life are in turn influenced. So in effect we have much less control than we think over what happens to us. For me this is fate and knowing this makes it much easier to build confidence in myself and my actions. Though I do managed to fuck it up spectacularly sometimes.

What would you say about this? (the fate bit not the spectacular fuck ups please :))

2. Paul

Paul Cheap and Cheerful

Surely fate means that our life is mapped out regardless of influences and actions ... that we have no control on the outcome of our lives or current situation no matter what we do?

If so then I don't buy it

3. Maon

Maon Member

maybe it doesnt have to mean that our lives are mapped out? .. if others make our personality then our personality in turn opens certain roads to us and on those roads we make our choices .. There are things that happen as a direct result of who you are. Fate.

4. stardust

stardust Banned

i believe in fate to a certain degree, but i dont think it controls our lives altogether.

i think we control our own lives, but every now and then fate will step in and give us a prod in a certain direction.

peace and love
    stardust
    xxx

5. Uncle Joe

Uncle Joe Member

Fate means that i can be a complete bastard to everyone i know yet be glad in the knowledge thats its not my fault because it was destiny!

6. Maon

Maon Member

and vice versa :p

7. showmet

showmet olen tomppeli

I think it's a weak excuse to not take full responsibility for your own actions. When something good happens to you, or something bad happens which you learn from, it is very easy to say that it was "meant to be"... but what evidence is there for this other than that you say so? Mistakes can open up new opportunities and we learn from everything that happens to us, but that does not mean that those things happen with the specific reason of teaching you things or giving you second chances. To think that, you need to regard yourself as in some way important in the universe. We're not ... none of us are important, we're just a random combination of chemicals clinging to a lump of rock hurtling through a vacuum. How anyone can see any meaning in this scenario is quite beyond me, but humans have a great capacity for self-deception.

Stuff happens in the universe, but all you can really say is that it is just stuff happening - there is no reason or purpose.

8. DoktorAtomik

DoktorAtomik Closed For Business

I absolutely respect your opinion and the reasoning behind it. But I'm getting a tad irritated at you stating your opinion as though it's an established fact. I'm getting particularly irritated at the way you seem to dismiss those of us who believe anything else as deluded idiots. Perhaps I'm misunderstanding you - in which case, apologies - but the reference to self-deception seems a little damning. Please try and show as much respect to the opinions of others as they show to yours.

9. showmet

showmet olen tomppeli

PS. IMHO

10. Maon

Maon Member

i must be ignorant ... what does IMHO mean?

11. DoktorAtomik

Very funny. It's not just your humble opinion though. You're actively accusing the rest of us of self-deception. While this may be true for some, I believe I've personally weighed up the available evidence and reached a conclusion based on my interpretation of that evidence. That may not be the same conclusion as yours, but the rational process is still the same. I have no interest in deluding myself. If the universe is a random collision of atoms, then I want to know about it so that I might live my life according to that principle.

Honestly dude, I respect your opinion. I disagree with it strongly, but I don't tell you that you're deceiving yourself!

12. DoktorAtomik

"In my humble opinion"

13. Spyder

Spyder La dah de dah

Sorry all

but the idea that my entire life is mapped out, and that what i'll do on the 12th of august in 20 years time is already mystically mapped out, is about as ridiculous as saying lord of the rings is real, i mean, its just romantic nonsense really to give life some meaning, which it has none, we are our own beings, we make choices bassed on the time, it doesnt map out out lives.

14. Maon

Maon Member

TYVMM :)

15. DoktorAtomik

Well on that level, it's absolutely and incontrovertibly mapped out. From a perspective at the end of time, every event that ever takes place would be mapped out. That doesn't mean that we weren't exerting our free will. It's just another quandary posed by our three-dimensional perception of the universe. It's also pretty ignorant to dismiss a view as "romantic nonsense" just because you disagree with it.

16. DoktorAtomik

YW ;)

17. showmet

showmet olen tomppeli

Points taken, apologies for offending. It is just my opinion of the concept of fate, no more objectively correct than anyone elses.

18. Maon

Maon Member

if you read my thoughts though i dont say that our lives are mapped out but rather ouur personalities develop from who we come into contact with .. and we then choose a way to go from this ... so whereas we make our decisions we are still shaped by others regardless .. for me this is fate .. it explains a lot of coincidences in my life .. things which were alwasy going to happen as i was always going to be that way inclined due to my personality. .. does that make sense? ..

peace

19. DoktorAtomik

Thankies. Doncha just love the way us civilised types can settle our disagrements amicably? :)

20. Spyder

Spyder La dah de dah

Thats far more existential than fate, the idea that we are a product of our history is very existential not just fate, Fate brings up illusions that we have a pre-ordained destiny to forfill, whereas what your pointing at there is that we form ourselves to exercise our freewill on the basis of our history and our existentiality.