Headin' out hitchin'/travellin' again, anyone want to come?

Discussion in 'Backpackers Message Forum' started by TimeToLive, Nov 6, 2012.

1. TimeToLive

TimeToLive Member

Hitched more than I ever have this past summer and got back home to CT about a week or 2 ago. Looking to head out again real soon and want to know if anyone would like to come or meetup and travel together?
    So far I've only travelled/hitched alone.

Alittle bit about me:
    22 year old male. I travel with a backpack and guitar.
    I'm sure there's probobly more you want to know, so just ask.

Let me know if you're interested!

Thanks!

2. Dionysus

Dionysus Member

Where do you go? How do you feed yourself? I'm excited by the idea of doing this but idk if I could actually do it. I feel like im plugged into the matrix and I need to get out! It's getting pretty cold outside where do you stay at night? Just let me know more about the lifestyle man!

3. StpLSD25

StpLSD25 Senior Member

Hack the Matrix

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j_j52OdwxoA&feature=fvwrel"]YouTube - The Matrix - Red or Blue Pill You Decide--1_2.avi - YouTube

4. hoboberg

hoboberg Member

Nice TimeToLive its good to see people out exploring. I have been exploring while living in a van for almost 3 years now one day id like to live out of a pack for awhile. Keep us informed of your travels. Best of luck!

5. TimeToLive

TimeToLive Member

Hey Dionysus, I've been mostly in Kentucky, Tennessee, North Carolina and South Carolina. I want to go further out west the next time I head out though.
    As for food, there are many ways to get it. I had gotten a job in Kentucky while I was there, so I was fortunate to have some money by the time I took off from there for food. But other than that, if you play an instrument that's always good (just playing guitar on the street).
    It definetly IS getting cold, so I plan on staying south. But other than that, it's pretty easy to find communities/farms/off-the-grid places to stay, (should help them out in any way you could in exchange). But I want to try and get to Slab City at some point this winter, if I do that then I'd like to have someone with me (some please let me know if you (or anyone else) is interested).
    When it's nice out, and i'm not staying with anyone, I just find some woods to sleep in (atleast that's what I've been doing).

The lifestyle is great, I met sooo many cool people and ended up in so many cool situations that I never thought I would. Make it happen man, you'll never regret it!

Where are you from Dionysus?

6. slappysquirrel

slappysquirrel Senior Member

come to florida man! we got the bombest community center here. its warm most of the time too. and lots of hot chicks

7. TimeToLive

TimeToLive Member

Thats actually where I wanted to head to first!!! Anymore info on this community center? Cuz I'm definetly down, you sold me even more on the 'chicks'! lol

8. slappysquirrel

it's got 3 showers, and they are clean. you get new clothes everytime you need a shower. they feed once a day from 11am-2pm. (that's their hours) yes you can arrice there at like 7am and chill out if you want, they serve coffe from 7:30am-9am. you can sign up for showers at 9:30am i believe.
    they have a little stand where you can grab loaves of bread and fruits but they dont put that out until lunch is being served. you can get blankets, jackets n whatever hygiene needs you need.
    this place has its good and bad sides though. remember it is florida, but its a cool place in florida. there are crackheads here, but its a small city, and no gangs that i can tell. i live 2/3 miles from the ocean. i live 20 miles from cocoa beach, and 40 miles maybe of vero beach. (sure they sound familiar) vero beach also has a community center, but i've never been to it. although i know it has way less clients. where i live is kind of a pitstop for many transients. they can get annoying though but oh well. it isnt that bad actually.

town i live in is called melbourne. look it up on google. if you take a1a south all the way down you;ll end up here, or you can take us1 all the way south and end up here. and yes, there are so many hot bitches (chicks) here that you'll sprain your neck probly. its a college town too, so you know what that means. and its
    #2 in the country COUNTRY, of ppl that like to get down and drink a couple beers. used to be #1 for years lol, dont know what that's telling you but hey. that's where i live

9. slappysquirrel

remember, i've lived here (well beachside mostly) since 2004, and in melbourne on the mainland since oct of last year. so i know ppl, and the area a bit.

10. TimeToLive

TimeToLive Member

AWESOME!!! Looks like thats where I'll be heading first.
    Are there places to sleep? Even if it's just some safe woods. Just incase I decided to stay alittle while there.

11. MegN

MegN Guest

what about your ky group?? i just stumbled on this site today... im also in alpine.... hahahaha

12. TimeToLive

TimeToLive Member

Hey MegN, I'll be going back there periodically. They are family to me now, and I keep in contact with them almost everyday.

13. Dionysus

Dionysus Member

How do you eat, sleep, and generally live when your on the road?

14. TimeToLive

TimeToLive Member

Hey again Dionysus, I answered that I few posts ago for ya. But eating is easy, u can make a few bucks go a long way. I also carry this small torch grill thing that's only about the size of my fist & weightless that i have small propane/butane cans for (also very small, weightless, and last a very long time). So like a package Knorrs rice cost me like $1 and gets 2 servings out of. <-- this is all stuff I picked up from hiking the appalachian trail.

Sleeping is easy, when it comes down it: You HAVE to sleep, so you'll find a way. I was fortunate enough to crash with people alot of the time, but other times I would just walk off into the woods to sleep. Other times you can just wait til daytime (if your nervous about sleeping somewhere thru the night), and take a nap in some park/feild where it feels safe. Or you can find a shelter if you need.
    My choice is woods, that's just where I feel comfortable.

15. slappysquirrel

remember this is mostly a college kid town. but yes there are some safe woods. some bums are pieces of crap though, but that is to be expected. the winter time is transcient time btw. everyone goes to florida when it gets cold up north. and remember though, keywest is just like 5 hours drive south! but i've never been there so i cant really tell you what its like

16. TimeToLive

TimeToLive Member

cool cool, well im definetly gonna make my way there soon! ill keep in touch.
    btw slappy, any idea how to get out of 'guest' status on here? i can't send PM's!

17. slappysquirrel

uh lol did you register?

18. TimeToLive

TimeToLive Member

im on here arnt i, lol

19. slappysquirrel

hmm well,, hell if i know lol ask an op i guess! ask orison he'll know

20. TimeToLive

TimeToLive Member

the thinkg is i cant PM anyone, lol. see my problem? i asked Skip by commenting it on one of his photos, haha. idunno, ill figure it out