Caring For Abandoned and Feral Cats

Discussion in 'Pets and Animals' started by Aerianne, Oct 20, 2012.

1. Aerianne

Aerianne Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

So, it seems I am to become a crazy cat lady, as my daughter calls me.

I've got 2 indoor cats and an indoor/outdoor cat who are all stray adoptions.

Outdoors, I'm feeding 4 cats that are abandoned pets and 2 feral cats.

I found some good sources on line for building shelter for them and I think I'll see about investing in a feeding station so the more shy ones will be able to eat too.

I know there are people who dedicate lots of time to feeding and sheltering homeless cats. I've seen an older couple in town feeding cats at the back of a parking lot.

Does anyone here take care of homeless cats?

3 people like this.
  2. Ranger

Ranger Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

There are several feeding stations in Golden Gate Park maintained by locais and the city has a trap neuter and release program.

We currently have 6 indoor/outdoor cats trained to come in at night cause of coyotes etc. They keep down the rats & rattlers.
    (Why isn't there a smiley for crossed fingers? Did I miss it?)

jpdonleavy likes this.
  3. Kinky Ramona

Kinky Ramona Back by popular demand!

We have 3 cats, one adult male, one adult female, and a male kitten that hang out on our porch and in our yard. They're not really homeless anymore, but they were at one point. No way could I afford vet care for them, but I do try to feed them. My porch stinks like cat, though. *sigh*

4. Aerianne

Well, I made my first, prototype if you will, "Catitat".

I had a really cracked up old plastic tote with lid. I patched it up with good ol' duct tape, put a cardboard case from ramen noodles in it and put the lid on. I cut a door beginning about 1/3 of the way up on one end. It's fine for under the carport.

I was reading how to insulate them and weather proof them for colder and wet weather. Pretty cool.

5. Aerianne

Ranger, I read something about the catch, spay/neuter release thing. I'll have to check and see if they have it locally.

Ramona, I know! One of these cats sprays my front door. I think it's the big female. She's really jealous and possessive.

6. Kinky Ramona

Kinky Ramona Back by popular demand!

I'm just in love with this little kitten. He's beautiful, he's black and white and the prettiest cat we've had out here. I have a few cats inside and he's even prettier than them. Haha.

7. Aerianne

The youngest outdoors, the kitten born of the feral mother, is so pretty!!! She's getting friendlier. Her mother left her and hangs out in the woods until feeding time. The kitten hangs out here and socializes with the other older kitten who is a stray but not feral. I touched her and picked her up once when they were feeding together. I guess with her head down she thought the other kitten was rubbing her. I picked her up. I couldn't resist. She spazzed out so I put her back down, lol.

8. Lynnbrown

Lynnbrown Firecracker

Right now we have 2 outside cats and 2 inside cats. (I'm sure you already know that when the cats eat is the best time to tame them.) Anyway, I've learned how to give rabies shots and I've been giving all of our's shots for about 3 years. As the outside ones have grown older, they have become literally impossible to put in a cage to take away for shots. (They were fixed years ago when still under 2 yrs. old.)
    I wish you the best...sounds like you have a wonderful plan, Aerianne with the Catitat. :)D) Our local Animal Shelter is a definite KILL Shelter, and if one (or more) were to appear here, either we would feed them (and I'd give it a rabies shot)...or we would take it to a church and let it out. I'm sorry...at least that way, it would stand a chance to live.

9. Aerianne

I was pleased to see our biggest, spayed, outdoor female enjoying the "Catitat" already tonight.

Tomorrow, I will build more of them. I think I have one or two more plastic tubs out in the carport.

I want to camouflage and insulate one really well and stash it in the woods where "Mama Kitty" comes and goes from. I probably shouldn't since it's not my property. Maybe I'll stash it in the big Yellow Bell bush at the edge of my property. She sometimes hides there waiting for food to be put out.

This is going to be a really interesting project.

10. Aerianne

Tonight, I ran across a Rubbermaid site where they sell tubs at wholesale to anyone who wants to make or donate homes for feral cats.

The instructions, with pics, are also on this site.
    http://www.erubbermaid.com/roughneck-homes

[​IMG]

11. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood Senior Moment Lifetime Supporter

That's cool

12. GLENGLEN

GLENGLEN Banned

Five Family Members Here, And One Feral That Sleeps

Under The House...:).

Been Feeding Him For About 3 Years And A Few Minutes Ago I Fed Him From

A Distance Of About A Metre...:2thumbsup:.

It's Been A Long Road, Who Knows, Maybe In 6 Months Time I'll Be Feeding

Him On The Breakfast Bar With The Others...:).

Cheers Glen.

13. Aerianne

I hope so, Glen!

14. Aerianne

These feeding stations and shelters are made from 5 gallon buckets. There are lots of good ideas out there. It's surprising what you can do with stuff you already have around.

Use STRAW because Hay will mildew.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This is a cardboard box, inside a plastic bag. The cat in the photo sheltered in it and was reunited with his lost family after being gone for 6 months.
    [​IMG]

Get free Styrofoam packing cases from your favorite restaurant (the cases come with fish and meats delivered to the restaurant
    [​IMG]

15. Aerianne

If you decide to do this I encourage you to read some on line about such considerations such as how to keep water and predator animals out of the cat shelters. Your climate and the location of the shelter can make some differences in how you make the cat shelter.

16. Ranger

When it comes to predator animals we have full gamut here in the mountains of northern Az bears, lions, lynx, bobcats, coyotes, and javelina, oh yeah and dogs too. One of our cats (Moma Missy) was abandoned and lived on her own for at least 6 months hunting by day and taking to the trees by night. My point being feeders should maybe in the trees or elevated in some way.

17. Aerianne

Yes, Ranger. There is much to consider about the needs in each area. One recommendation, which I like, is to make an exit as well as an entrance for the cats so they have a way to escape should a predator come after them. You don't want a cat trapped in a box.

18. Ranger

We stayed with a friend in Nor Cal who had several cats and a cat door which the local coons discovered.(btw anorher potential cat killer) when thry stopped in at night to clean out the food dishes the cats would go up on the counters and watch. Not even our big Maine Coon Cat Patchs wanted to rangke with them.

19. Aerianne

There are two o'possums that come to eat the cat food every night here. I have to take up any leftovers. The o'possums are pretty bold. I have to seriously go after them to make them run. They don't care if I stand and watch them and tell them to get.

20. Ranger

LOL Make a clean sweep of it, take a broom after them! Seriously though I've used a plant spray bottle with a mixture of vinedar & water to discourage coons from coming around. If you squirt them in the nose rhere goes their sense of smell for the night. After the third night I would see them pass us up for the cat dish next door.