If a tree falls...

Discussion in 'Mind Games' started by trippy-dippy-drummer, Oct 19, 2012.

1. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood Senior Moment Lifetime Supporter

Yeah... Palin can see Russia from her kitchen window, remember? :2thumbsup:

2. Lynnbrown

Lynnbrown Firecracker

I've just got to reply to this...because well, I'm not going to say how idiotic I find it. My grandmother could not stand me. I knew she couldn't even bear my presence; but, didn't realize ALL MY COUSINS could see it, too, until I was an adult! In fact, I learned as an adult that my aunts and uncles were aware of it, and they HATED being around her when she would start on me.
    Me NOT BEING AWARE of their feelings on the matter did not make them not see that truth.

As a child, and as an adult I couldn't comprehend why she would feel this way toward a child and then continue to demonstrate such an odd reaction for basically no reason toward her blood kin. For whatever reason, it made me feel much better after I found out that ALL my relatives saw the same thing...and that it significantly bothered them.

Before she died I asked her why she treated me like that, why she didn't love me like she did her other grands...and she looked at me with these unemotional little chipmunk eyes and said, "What are you talking about?" Did that mean that in spite of EVERYBODY seeing she couldn't stand me, it didn't happen? (lol) I explained to her how she ALWAYS treated me differently, and that everybody could see it! She told me to pass the sugar. :2thumbsup:

3. pensfan13

pensfan13 Senior Member

I like that, for now on when someone says something to ridiculous to reply to im gonna say pass the sugar. I know what you said wasnt ridiculous but her reaction acted like it was.

4. hotwater

hotwater Senior Member Lifetime Supporter

You seem to be missing the point “It’s a THOUGHT experiment”

By its very definition SOUND is:

Something audible: something that can be heard, Vibrations sensed by the ear: vibrations traveling through air, water, or some other medium, that can be perceived by the ear drum.

If a tree fall and know one hears it – It makes no SOUND.

Hotwater

5. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

It does, all the ingredients for the sound are there. Just not the receptor to detect it.

6. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood Senior Moment Lifetime Supporter

It's humans that made up all these silly definitions... What if a deer hears it but there are no humans around? We can't prove that the deer heard anything at all.

7. pensfan13

pensfan13 Senior Member

i hope the factory becomes there when i get to work today.

8. Asmodean

Don't worry if you don't make it nobody's there to witness your absence :p

9. scratcho

scratcho Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Rug was green,tan and brown. Course I haven't seen it in 50 some odd years and it doesn't exist anymore. But it once did.

Actually the question is ridiculous on another level. It's a proposition that cannot be proved or disproved. "if a tree falls in the forest and no one is there to hear it,does it make a noise?" Only way to find out is for SOMEONE to be there----ooops. That doesn't work. Plant a microphone and listen to see if---ooops. Substitute for a human. Unprovable proposition,but I'll keep believing that noise occurs. So there.

10. McFuddy

McFuddy Visitor

One Jane Q. Publics thoughts does not a theory make.

11. puggybear

puggybear stars may twinkle-but I shine!

Well,if there's nobody around to receive the sounds of this metaphorical tree - how do you know there's a tree there to fall? Maybe the whole forest belonged to Shrodinger!

12. pensfan13

pensfan13 Senior Member

Anyone see that episode of tales from the darkside or was it the twilight zone?? Anyway a couple woke up in the morning and there was men in blue construction suits destroying and building everything. When they finally figured out what was going on it was that they woke up 2 minutes in the future and the men were making everything look like it is supposed to by the time the couple were supposed to wake up.

13. relaxxx

relaxxx Senior Member

If a tree falls in the Forrest, does anybody care?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=13KUZ53NWq0"]If A Tree Falls Acoustic Bruce Cockburn with lyrics - YouTube

14. InTheOtherCorner

InTheOtherCorner Guest

That depends on whether you consider the vibrations to be the sound or whether the person that hears it creates the sound by interpretting the vibrations in the ear.

15. hotwater

hotwater Senior Member Lifetime Supporter

They don’t seem to get it :confused:

The most brilliant minds on the planet have already tackled this issue and concluded there is no sound

Hotwater

16. oneheartt

oneheartt Member

It will sound as described by the witness, a million possible witnesses!

17. Ivory62

Ivory62 Senior Member

If a wife nags her husband and he doesn't hear it, is he still wrong?

18. Zlatan

Zlatan Guest

We all know what happens when the tree falls and no one is there. The question in the title is nonsense because at most it's just a play on the word sound.

19. puggybear

puggybear stars may twinkle-but I shine!

Oh joy-a genius joins and our pleasant musings are instantly brought to a halt.

Pal,you DON'T know what happens when the tree falls.
    No-one there to witness it,remember?
    So the tree hasn't fallen until it's discovered on the ground.
    Until then,it's a standing tree. . . . . . or is it. . . . . . .
    Are ALL trees fallen trees until witnesses to their upstanding good health prove otherwise?
    We don't know.

THAT'S what Schrodinger's theorised cat experiment proved.
    Until observed,no condition or state can be verified.

20. Asmodean

Theoretically. In practice we can conclude the tree has fallen earlier than the moment we arrived. Now it becomes a crime scene :biggrin: