If a tree falls...

Discussion in 'Mind Games' started by trippy-dippy-drummer, Oct 19, 2012.

1. pensfan13

pensfan13 Senior Member

What if you walk into a Forrest with a tree mid falling. Would it suddenly start making a noise?

2. It wouldn't just suddenly start making a noise mid-fall, but that doesn't prove that where there is no one to listen that noises still exist.. In my opinion, the question is debatable. Certainly not as clear cut as some here might like it to be. All I am asking is if a noise needs to be heard in order to technically be a noise -- or are some vibrations in the air truly the exact same thing as the subjective experience of a noise. I doubt it.

It seems some of you want to turn this into a personal problem about my ego. Like I need to be responsible for all noises in order to feel good about myself. It's TRUE! mwah ha ha! I am the noise master! mwah ha ha!

Well I never said that vibrations require a human ear in order to technically become noises. The ear could belong to any creature, and there is still a difference between a vibration in the air that is heard and one that is not heard. I don't see how this is illogical; it is plainly obvious.

I guess you think it is egotistical for me to believe that sound waves are transformed into brain waves by my ears, and that these vibrations in the air I am experiencing I have defined as "sounds". You are going to have a hard time proving that this is not the case.

It's been proven that states of matter are dependent upon observation.

3. scratcho

scratcho Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Absolutely nothing happened before human ears were on the scene. Everything was completely still/static waiting for humans to show up. Yeah--that's the ticket. And of course when I die--everything will freeze back up into stillness, like a tableau. And that's due to my importance.
    For I am human. Hear me obfuscate!!

1 person likes this.
  4. pensfan13

pensfan13 Senior Member

Wrong. That won't happen until I die.

1 person likes this.
  5. celebrating

celebrating Member

If a tree falls on the woods and a woman says it didnt, is it still right?

:)

6. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood Senior Moment Lifetime Supporter

If a tree falls in the woods I'mma get some firewood.