I Bought A Van. But I Don't Have A Plan.

Discussion in 'Backpackers Message Forum' started by ytlisasimpson, Oct 4, 2012.

1. ytlisasimpson

ytlisasimpson Member

I bought a van and quit my job with no real plan. I think I want to move to Colorado. (I'm in Ann Arbor, Michigan, currently.)

I did my fair share of cross-country hitching as a teen, but then I settled down and did the college thing. I've been working the 40-hr/week for a few years now and I believe I have lost my mind!!! I'm trying to get back to my free-spirited core self and reconnect with the land and people again.

I guess I'm looking for someone to travel with and maybe "settle down" with to save on costs! I've been looking at Denver as a place to move. I am open to other ideas though as I could have a job already lined up in Savannah, Georgia. I would love to live in a touristy beach area, like Santa Cruz or Daytona Beach. I love Oregon and Northern Cali with all my heart.

I really don't know what to do with my life, so I'm just following the universe and it's direction right now. It's told me to quit my job and buy a van and end my lease. I've gotten this far. Let me know if you have any suggestions or need a partner in crime or want to move somewhere away from the midwest or if you just want to cheer me on.

Thanks for reading!!

2. newbie-one

newbie-one one with the newbiverse

Choose the neighbor before the house and the companion before the road

- Arabic Proverb

3. absentwithin

absentwithin Member

Good luck. I've often wanted to just cut and run. I like the north west but something about florida has always called me. Some day. Happy Travels.

4. desert-rat

desert-rat Senior Member

I would say look at the areas that you think you might get a job first . Even if it is temp work , you could live in a k.o.a. ect. A lot of bosses only hire local people . desert rat

5. Ranger

Ranger Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

My wife and I lived for 6 yrs in our van and doing flea markets around the country. Hit the garage sales etc and buy low/sell higher.

6. misplacedJim

misplacedJim Member

Sounds like an excellent idea. I'm from Illinois and have been thinking of doing the same myself. Colorado or maybe even Cali. So let me know if your still considering doing this and if so hopefully you haven't taken off yet. If your serious I will shoot you my email address and we can discuss this a little more in depth

7. happypills

happypills Member

In 1999 my husband and I sold all our shit and went on the road in our VW camper. The plan was to travel for one year. We never returned home. I highly recommend getting out and seeing the world. It's the best!

8. ytlisasimpson

ytlisasimpson Member

Love this! This is why I want to move to Colorado or Oregon, because I want neighbors like me! :)

9. ytlisasimpson

ytlisasimpson Member

This van is certainly large enough to travel in. It also has a tow package. It's pretty badass.
    It's really hard to know what to do with one's life, isn't it!!

10. hoboberg

hoboberg Member

^^^^^Agreed! Im creeping up on my 3rd year in a van. Loving it more everyday I recommend the southwest in the winter.:)

11. ytlisasimpson

ytlisasimpson Member

That's one mighty handsome van there!

12. altbro

altbro Guest

Hey I'm in a similar situation, I'm about to quit my job to relocate but I haven't really figured out where yet. When are you planning on leaving? I'm not too far from you I'm in northern Indiana.

13. slappysquirrel

slappysquirrel Senior Member

i just up and left in 2010 to mendocino,CA (nor cal)

i came back home though as the weather sucks lol. i live in melbourne,fl. i think you'd like it here a lot. its somewhat of a college town. the town throws big ass street parties all the time, in fact 2marrow we are having another after 1 was last weekend.
    i live 2 miles from the ocean too.
    LOTS OF HOT CHICKS HERE EVERYWHERE!!

14. ytlisasimpson

ytlisasimpson Member

Haha well I don't want to go where there's lots of hot chicks! Too much competition lol

15. ytlisasimpson

ytlisasimpson Member

Thought I might post an update on my journey so far, and why not continue this thread? When I first posted I wasn't sure what I was doing, just that I was getting out of Ann Arbor, Michigan. I flew out to Colorado for a weekend and fell in love, so that's where I ultimately want to end up. Yes, I will be moving to Colorado in the wintertime. I hope I don't regret that decision!
    So I'm currently in Chicago visiting a friend and I head for Des Moines tonight/tomorrow. I have one friend in Des Moines that I will be having dinner with. I am going to try and talk her into letting me shower there, haha!! But after that I have no plans other than to steer the big van towards Colorado.
    I wonder if I am passing anything I really should be seeing? Visiting? Experiencing?

I am doing okay living between truck stops and rest areas, really. I went and visited the Indiana Dunes National Lakeshore yesterday. I feel bad blowing through the country so I want to stop off and see what I can. Any suggestions between Des Moines and Colorado? Any suggestions for a female traveler with a dog in a big van? I will try to post some photos of me and the van soon, as that would make me happy to share that with you. Anyway if you read this let me know!!

16. *Doc*

*Doc* Gone but never forgotten RIP Lifetime Supporter

Sounds like an awesome journey and that you have a plan now, hope all is going well :)

17. usedtobehoney

usedtobehoney Senior Member

I second Florida...also parts of Arizona, places like Santa Cruz, even Sacramento, places like Asheville, NC... also get on simplyhired.com and you can set it up to send you emails in your field or in a town or with a keyword in mind and that can help you decide where you want to go.

For instance I have it set up sending me emails with one particular keyword I have a lot of experience with, and I get emails of jobs with that term across the country and I definitely know I want to try out FL and CA(although I've spent a lot of time in both places) and that there are other places I can try out just in case.

I want to get a van too, but for me the hardest part is making a decision on what to get. I don't consider myself mechanically inclined. Anyway, interesting to see what you do. Colorado in the winter time is not up my alley but I'm sure it's a nice place to be at any time of the year, if you're in good spirits and feeling free.

18. Fuzzysack

Fuzzysack Member

il join you if you want u can pick me up from chicago iin ur van :)