Van Dwelling for 1000 days and Counting

Discussion in 'Camping/Outdoor Living' started by hoboberg, Oct 1, 2012.

1. ssfls

ssfls Member

Hey Bro Hoboberg, that is a cool set up and ride that you have with the pop top and all. I don't have as many watts on my solar system as you, but I am about to add some more watts when the cash allows.

I was going through the thread, and all those cool pics, and I was wondering where burro mountain is? 65 at 9700 has got to be living live in that "Simple Stress Free Lifestyle" that we are all craving.

Hey bro, you gonna be at the 3rd annual rubber tramp thing in Quartzsite? I have missed the first 2, but I am gonna be there this year. It would be awesome to meet all the cool dudes out here that are living the dream. DannyD with the music studio for a Play Station sounds awesome! Rock on Bro! :punk:

May GOD Bless you and keep you safe on all your travels!

2. ssfls

ssfls Member

Hey Bro, another question. I see that your van says "Turtle Top". Just wondering, if a turtle is caught with out a shell, is he naked or homeless? :rofl:

3. hoboberg

hoboberg Member

Hey thanks for the compliment. You can never have enough solar:)

Burro mountain is just south of Big Lake Az just a stones throw from the new Mexico border. To cold for me even in july and august, but my husky was in hog heaven, and the wild life was great.

Gonna try to make it to the RTR on my way to the slabs its a out of the way, but theyll be some interesting folks there for sure.

Id be homeless without my shell:)

4. ssfls

ssfls Member

Hey Bro, thanks for the reply. I was also wanting to go to the slabs sometime after the RTR, just not sure how long I was going to stay in Quartzsite. I have never got to look around at all the rocks and junk, but I am sure after a couple weeks, I'll be ready to venture out.

Thanks for the info about Burro Mtn. I am gonna look it up on the map and add that to my list of places to hang out in the future. Speaking of the future, I am looking forward to meeting you at the RTR, or where ever.

GOD Bless, and Happy Safe Travels

5. Ebene

Ebene Mountaineer

Awesome... I subscribed to your site. Maybe come down south in TN and check out my car setup I got... Run completely off car batteries. HMU!

6. ssfls

ssfls Member

Hey Bro Ebene, I have spent a lot of time in TN. Lived in Chattanooga for a while, and was getting ready to move to the Smokies before I came back out west to drive that ole truck. When I get back that way, I drop you a line, as I would like to check out that battery powered car. Got any pics we can see online?

GOD Bless and Happy Safe Battery Powered Travel!

7. ssfls

ssfls Member

Bro Hoboberg, I found Burro Mtn. today right close to Silver City. Never been there, but I would like to go see the cliff dwellings as well. Thanks for the tip!

PS Don't loose that shell!

GOD Bless and Happy Safe Shell On Travels!

8. hoboberg

hoboberg Member

Thanks for subscribing be sure to check your email for and verify your email address, otherwise you wont receive new posts. Ill definitely look you up when I head that way, would like to check out that car.

Ill look you up when I get there. I should be going to the RTR then to the slabs. Burro mountain and that whole area in general is great glad you found it, bring alot of supplies though nearest Wally World is 50 miles and closest town is touristy so it will drain your wallet in a heartbeat.

9. McTraveler

McTraveler Guest

Nice Set-Up R u still doing this?

10. Driftwood Gypsy

Driftwood Gypsy Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

i envy you... i remember living in a van, miss it

11. Starsrainbow

Starsrainbow ~om~

Check hoboberg's profile ... no activity for a year.

12. oldwolf

oldwolf Waysharing-not moderating Super Moderator

I've lived in 3 vans for about 6 yrs and at present live in a Subaru Outback Wagon. First van was a 63 econoline, went out to the SW in it @'72; traded it for a 1950 window van with a outside visor... went everywhere in it; then went to the bullfrog: a green tall but not long step van that pulled a '67 english ford anglia.
    Went back east to the hollow (@ '80 in the SW finger lakes area) '57 dodge power wagon, pulling that same anglia. Lived there since basically single parenting with a couple of relationships that helped, but I hermited in the woods in a 7'X 14' area for the last 10 years
    Passed the hollow on almost year ago and have been living in the ghost warrior (subaru) since.
    Use solar to top of battery when off grid, inverters and have a SS ret. @$350 /mo. From what I get from SS. (parked at my sisters this winter, have use of her trailer, but still sleep in the car), I save enough that I'll be able to finance a trip to S.A. for their next spring summer.

Been Blessed

Y'all enjoy !

13. kenwilkes

kenwilkes Member

Happy New Year to everyone! This will be my year to spend a lot of time in my van. Life is good !

14. Driftwood Gypsy

Driftwood Gypsy Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

we sold our old vanagon but i'm convincing my hubby to sell out motorcycle to get another van....

15. snowtiggernd

snowtiggernd Member

Id keep the bike and bring along a tent.:)

16. Manservant Hecubus

Manservant Hecubus Master of Funk and Evil

I've been slowly converting my 2005 dodge caravan into a stealth camper.
    I can really up my conversions now that the move is done.
    We took our really large and I'm-not-fucking-moving-that-up-three-flights-of-stairs-heavy desk, chopped the bottom two feet off of it and put it in the back as a bunk.
    Bonus: The file drawers of the desk already have locks on them....Mr. Officer.

Can't afford to work on power right now. Hopefully by the spring, I'll have my first battery. We'll see how long it takes me to afford solar.
    So for now I'm fine tuning storage and bedding.

I should really take some pics.

17. oldwolf

oldwolf Waysharing-not moderating Super Moderator

I went back to the Hollow (SW Fingerlake/NY)and back to NM on a Bike - first time on in 30 years - wow what a learning experience.
    Did get mesquito netted hammock that with a tarp over it keeps rain off, off the ground, and not anywhere near as bulky as a tent .for colder times you do need the dense foam padding or the cold wind freezes whatever is on the bottom.
    Best vehicle I've seen for living would be the dodge sprinter - uses a mercedes turbo diesel, a six speed autoshifting (strange combo of manual and automatic) and gets about 20 + mpg - has great ground clearance and you can stand up in it even if you're well over 6'. I would put air bags (suspension) in the back for heavy towing. The drawback - people have found out how wonderful they are and the price reflects it; hard to find a medium mileage one in good shape for less than $5,000.

Living free and easy, but is best if you have a "permanent" address that mail and someone you trust to sift through to communicate what might be important. With smart phone the internet, messaging and phone are available fairly cheaply, so that you can take care of whatever.

It's do-able - but find out how to service however you travel.
    About the only thing that holds a candle to it is sailboating - and start up on that can be rather expensive too.

Be Free people - Frees you more than you would ever dream possible. Be as independent - dependent on only yourself, make you flexable and spontaneous - with little agenda. You get to decide your fate.

Blessings

Namaste

18. Manservant Hecubus

Manservant Hecubus Master of Funk and Evil

Sprinters are super sexy and if I switch to boondocking, I may consider one. But in the words of my urban group "That's not stealth!!!"

As long as I am tied to a city for a job, I gotta stay urban-stealth.

My passport is also something I need to get if I ever plan on snowbirding it down to AZ for the winter months. A sprinter would be lovely for doing that.

19. stormountainman

stormountainman Soy Un Truckero

I've been traveling and camping in my 13 foot camper since 2006. I've camped all over the western states. I love Colorado in the summer, and Arizona, New Mexico, and Nevada in the winter. I use a small Ford Ranger with a V6 to pull the camper. I use a solar panel and marine battery to power everything in the camper, including my 12 volt fan for the hot days. When it gets cold, I use the oven to make heat. Desert camping is a true joy. I hope to meet some of you so we could camp together. I think I've met Two Dogs in Prescott Arizona last March when driving back to Colorado.

20. LornaDoom

LornaDoom Senior Member

The econoline is a good choice, especially for urban dwelling cause they can be set up super stealth, the only thing that throws them off is the roof vent..