perscribed a low dosage of valium

Discussion in 'Pharmaceuticals' started by Jennifer19, Oct 1, 2012.

1. Jennifer19

Jennifer19 Senior Member

valium for dizziness. never taken it before. the doc was saying it could make you tired. you can put it under your tounge if the dizziness is really bad half a tablet and if that's not working so much take the other tablet she said it would have more of a effect if you put it under the tounge How many have used this for medical reason?

2. The Real Peter Parker

The Real Peter Parker Member

It probably won't do much beyond what it was supposed to do [in this case alleviate the dizziness] if you take it as prescribed under doctor recommended dosages.

Valium/Diazepam is a Benzodiazepine. It has very high risk of dependence with severe withdrawals under long term use, but very low risk of a single large dose causing an overdose.

Yeah, putting under your tongue causes sub-lingual absorption [?] which is where the drug passes through the thin skin on the bottom of your tongue directly into the bloodstream. This causes the effects of the drugs at a substantially faster rate, the taste is likely to be disgusting depending on what brand the tablet is, will depend on what inactive ingredient is used as the filler/bulk of the tablet.

Swallowing it is probably the best bet, the effects last loner and less chance of side effects such as intoxication/sleepiness. However realize that when you take the drug for a long time on a regular basis, the effects will diminish, and when you suddenly stop this drug after taking for a long period of time, intense and opposite effects of taking the drug will be experienced.

For myself, I would NEVER take benzodiazepine prescribed for once, twice, thrice, etc DAILY use. Appropriate uses for benzodiazepine are 1)temporary use, or 2)occasional use. I would question the motives and knowledge of any doctor prescribing for daily, regular use of benzodiazepine.

But if you so choose to take a higher than prescribed amount dose, then you should expect to feel slightly drunk, nausea suppression, also feeling "high" and tired, etc.

Good luck to you, all of this comes out of the top of my head, so if you want to double check something you should...

3. Jennifer19

Jennifer19 Senior Member

It’s a really low dosage she is prescribing me. I always do what the doc tells me. I won't be taking it for long term use that's for sure. She wants to see if this can help, or it could be allergies since the seasons are changing. I won't be smoking pot either while taking this

4. The Real Peter Parker

I always believe the effects of benzodiazepine to be somewhere between the effects of weed and the effects of alcohol [all 3 can be addicting] but benzodiazepine is most addicting of the 3. This is not true evidence but an anecdotal report from one person.

The doctor is short-hand saying [if it were me in your shoes], "Take this, be drunk/high, [even if only subtly], forget about problems." Benzodiazepine is only capable of treating the symptoms of a problem. I don't know of any disease or condition which is actually fixed the problem itself from the taking of this drug.

Most likely, the problem itself will pass naturally [as from, seasonal allergies], and you may or may not believe it had something to do with the Valium, but nonetheless, the doctor got you out of the office OK. This drug is a miracle for doctors because it quite simply makes people feel good in the most basic way.

"How's that Valium working out for you?" has only 2 possible answers.

"blank stare as #1 ponders this, lets out a droopy-eyed smile and [with a small amount of time distortion] says grrrreeeaatttt"

"nervous, twitchy stare as #2 screams, GIVE ME MORE!!!"

There are people out there, with huge problems with benzodiazepine...

But, these are a good thing to keep stocked in the medicine cabinet, if you can do so safely.

5. zombiewolf

zombiewolf Senior Member

No, there are actually whats called 'sub-lingual ducts' that pass the drug more quickly to the blood stream.

When I was a kid I used to get high on valium when I couldn't get any booze or weed...almost everyones mom had a 'script and a bottle of pills in the medicine cabinet...the proverbial "mothers little helper" lol

6. Jennifer19

Jennifer19 Senior Member

My mom is picking up my meds today so I will take it tonight. will let you guys know

7. Jennifer19

Jennifer19 Senior Member

Taking them tonight, will give you an update how I respond kind of nervous

8. cthulhu

cthulhu Member

How many mg's are they?
    If they're 10 mg or less and you take them as prescribed you probably won't feel anything. Maybe like you drank half a beer.

9. zombiewolf

zombiewolf Senior Member

Shut up man , she's taking them therapeutically...
    Do not drink booze with valium! people die doing that shit.

10. The Real Peter Parker

thanks

11. Jennifer19

Jennifer19 Senior Member

They are 5 mg and I only plan on taking half a pill tonight. If you knew me at all you would know I don't do well with new meds. And she prescribed me 20 pills. I only plan on taking them when the dizziness is real bad. I will take half a pill tonight and see how it effects me

12. Jennifer19

Jennifer19 Senior Member

I would never drink on this med and I'm not smoking pot on this med either

13. cthulhu

cthulhu Member

Shut up yourself, you old coot. If you had a modicum of reading comprehension you'd see that I did not advise drinking half a beer. I said that taking a low lose of valium is comparable in effects to half a beer.

14. zombiewolf

zombiewolf Senior Member

I apologize :eek:... piss-ant

15. cthulhu

cthulhu Member

Obviously it's entirely your prerogative, but if you actually think it's dangerous to mix weed and valium you're mistaken. If you're avoiding weed for your own personal reasons it's one thing, but if you're abstaining because someone told you it might "interact with the valium ooo scary" they don't know what they're talking about.
    And again it's your prerogative, but taking only 2.5 mg of valium is such a small amount I doubt it will help with your condition at all. I'm not a doctor, but I've seen one on TV.

16. cthulhu

cthulhu Member

Ok then.

17. The Real Peter Parker

In my limited personal experience Valium would be the more likely to cause dizziness then relieve it. But, taking Valium will make you feel "better" in any case, I would imagine. It's definitely on the softer end of the benzodiazepine scale, it's much less intoxicating than its brother alprazolam [xanax]

Don't expect too much to happen, [even if you eat the whole bottle! gasp! (not recommended)] and don't worry yourself too much before taking this medicine.

If they do anything (that you consciously notice, beyond dizziness relief) [I wouldn't expect them to do so in such medically recommended dose as you describe, in higher doses maybe] they will make you sleepy and care-free...

Another anecdote:
    A quantity of two 10mg Valium tablets taken orally at the same time, only provide therapeutic effects for myself, [were taken with no tolerance.] I noticed therapeutic effects without any effects of intoxication or sleepiness.

18. Jennifer19

Jennifer19 Senior Member

well I just took half will let you know how I feel. I'm not smoking becuse I wanted to take a break. and now that I'm taking this med it makes want to not smoke even more

19. Jennifer19

Jennifer19 Senior Member

Well when I walk I feel like I'm on a scale like off balance or something. I’m going upstairs to sit in my chair. Don’t want to be walking upstairs if my off balance gets worse

20. zombiewolf

zombiewolf Senior Member

^^^this.
    lol