education damn...

Discussion in 'Higher Ed' started by swoosh, Sep 28, 2012.

1. swoosh

swoosh Member

Why? In America it seems like such an inconvenience to receive a formal education

2. Maelstrom

Maelstrom Banned

Because the stupid people in charge of education believe we should all be "well-rounded."

It is a retarded concept, because I have learned much more on my own than the stupid crap I was expected to learn in school that was supposed to help me find a career.

3. swoosh

swoosh Member

I see what your saying it just seems so comfortable, i guess thats why it is so expensive

4. Vallykat

Vallykat Member

I kind of wonder how worth it this all is. I haven't learned as much as I thought I would in college, but it has helped a lot in other areas....still, I feel like they are forcing me to take a bunch of bs classes because they want my money. That's all it is.

5. I'minmyunderwear

I'minmyunderwear Newbie

getting the education's not inconvenient, repaying the loans afterward is.

6. BlueStreak98

BlueStreak98 Member

I've enjoyed the education I've received so far, and I'm debt free. I just don't think education and job training should be synonymous terms, and the cost has become just staggering.

7. wiccan_witch

wiccan_witch Senior Member

100%

8. Sitka

Sitka viajera

You come off like arrogant child who doesn't know how spoiled he is.

9. swoosh

swoosh Member

so far this year i have realized its only bad because with the degree im going for ill probably be about 70,000 in the hole. This debt seems like it will drive me to the poor house. People who can party every weekend and live at a university with no worries have it so made it ridiculous. Fuck them though ill be sitting on the beach, in a decade with little worries

10. MeAgain

MeAgain Dazed & Confused Lifetime Supporter Super Moderator

Very few people understand what education is intended to do.

Only some types of education are meant to help you find a career specifically. Those would be technical degrees (Associate). Technical degrees are meant to instruct you in very narrow fields of applied science, be it some type of engineering or hairdressing.

Science degrees (B.S.) are broader. While focusing on an applied or theoretical science, they also offer a balance of the liberal arts in an effort to develop not only skill in a specific area, but also a broader understanding of the world and how the specific area of study fits into the world at large. A science degree is trying to teach not only the science, but learning and cross reference skills as well.

An Arts degree (B.A.) is very broad. While emphasizing a particular area it is aimed at developing a greater general knowledge of the world. Usually it allows you to pick from a wider variety of course offerings than a B.S. degree, thus allowing you to tailor your education to a greater degree.

All of these avenues are designed to teach you to think. Maybe even allow you to get a job. But mainly to learn, think, and then become a better person...which may help you throughout life no matter what you do.