Prenatal vitamins

Discussion in 'Women's Forum' started by dixie_pixy, Sep 26, 2012.

1. dixie_pixy

dixie_pixy HighMandi

I've taken prenatals all my life, even when I wasn't trying to get pregnant. I started taking them as a young teenager (14 maybe) to regulate my iron and help me gain weight. I continued to take them off and on since then.

Now I'm back on them, this time because we are going to try to have another baby in the next year or so. I've been taking 2 different brands - Spring Valley and One Source. I alternate them since they are different strengths.

I currently have Mirena IUD and want to have it taken out in the next month or two so we can start trying. Does anyone know if there is anything I should be aware of while taking prenatals and having an IUD. I was thinking the uterus lining might get heavy from the vitamins and squish the IUD. Or bleed heavier.

2. anonisacat

anonisacat Member

on a side note, i didn't know that prenatal vitamins helped with weight gain. that's good to know! Do they make you more fertile, too?

3. dixie_pixy

dixie_pixy HighMandi

I don't think they add to fertility! They do help your immune system and will make you eat like a horse.

4. anonisacat

anonisacat Member

oh! i might try them...

5. Octopus.Tenticals

Octopus.Tenticals Member

I love the gummy pnv at walmart!!! Loove them!

From what I've heard, I don't know if it's true, that it's not good to take them unless pre partum, while pregnant or post partum. Idk why.

6. eggsprog

eggsprog anti gang marriage HipForums Supporter

if you're a sexually active woman, especially if you're not as strict as you should be with birth control, it's good to take folic acid regularly just in case you get knocked up.

7. drumminmama

drumminmama Super Moderator Super Moderator

Hmm. My Mirena stopped my periods, but prenatals never made my periods heavier. I took them for hair growth for a couple years.

The mirena is pretty springy and is unlikely to be squished. They can imbed, and that's a pretty small stat, but they can cause ectopic pregnancy, so if you really are on the try again train, pop that sucker out.
    The progestin should regulate within a couple months, but ask the gyno.