I don't want a 9 to 5 job.

Discussion in 'Hippies' started by meltingminds, Sep 22, 2012.

1. Yog-Sothoth

Yog-Sothoth Member

California is expensive, it isn't some wonderland where all your dreams come true.

We have our problems too.

2. zombiewolf

zombiewolf Senior Member

Huh, maybe I should move to Ohio...need a roomy? lol kidding, I think I'll avoid the rust belt for now, but poverty is pretty much the norm for my state, Imma get the fuck out soon as I am able. I love the mountains, but culturally it's nowhere'sville.:(

3. I'minmyunderwear

I'minmyunderwear Newbie

good point.

4. Michael Phelps

Michael Phelps Am I being detained?

Yeah, where is this kid? I want to see the e-tantrum.

5. Reverand JC

Reverand JC Willy Fuckin' Wonka

Here is the e tantrum in a nutshell:

Granted this is my editing of his posts but he is reality challenged and sounds kind of spoiled to me. There is an old saying "You can always tell a spoiled brat. But you can't tell him much.

Stay Brown,
    Rev J

6. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

Tend a bar. It's shift work but it gives you plenty of free time. If you get the right place you can make up even more time on doing things you do outside of work during work.
    I watch a lot of sport, takes hours from my day. Got a job tending bars at a sports club, watched sport all through my shift... Free time at home to meditate and play guitar!
    You could also try security, get a cruise static job and if no ones near, whip out a guitar and start practicing. I did security at a construction joint overnight in the middle of nowhere, had so much free time to read/study it was a joke when I got home. Jobs like this may not earn much, but for freedom and available free time, they're really next to none.

7. pensfan13

pensfan13 Senior Member

Retired hippies remarks might sound harsh or condascending, but that is just who he is...he is the HF equivilant of the angry old man yelling at the kids to get off his lawn.
    anyway at 16 your last grade passed should have been your sophmore. A bit of trivia for you. Do you know what the word sophmore meant before it was used as a grade level?

8. darkforest

darkforest Member

You guys should have humored the poor guy. Told him that quitting school is a great idea and the band will be awesome. Then he'd come back in the future and ask for more advice when he is hungry and living under a bridge.

9. LoveBuzz

LoveBuzz Member

100% Agreed!!!

10. Reverand JC

Reverand JC Willy Fuckin' Wonka

Or living in a van down by the river!!!

Stay Brown,
    Rev J

11. anonisacat

anonisacat Member

poor decision.

12. HippieLittleJohn

HippieLittleJohn Member

I have a GED and I finished college. A GED is the very same thing as a high school diploma. And for what it's worth, I don't do the whole 9 to 5 thing either. Many of us don't fit in such rigid categories. Good luck to you in your endeavors.

13. Ebene

Ebene Mountaineer

LOL, you sound just like me when I was 14, 15, 16 posting on this very forum. I said some of the EXACT things... but I was going to Alaska (which I own land in).

Reality is, you've got to work hard to play hard. But don't worry, you will realize this soon. Maybe 2-3 years, but you will.

14. I'minmyunderwear

I'minmyunderwear Newbie

well, legally anyway.

15. misplacedJim

misplacedJim Member

One of those that did it, wish I had done things differently and it's to late to change it now. Finish high school and then decide what you want to do.

16. MachineElf

MachineElf Guest

I don't get it... just finish high school. High school can be fun. Just make sure to get stoned everyday, drunk every weekend and arrested every Halloween and it'll go by in no time. And you'll have a diploma to boot.

17. Vongaelly

Vongaelly Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

I work 9:30 to 6:30, Monday to Friday in a pharmacy. I have only ever worked in a pharmacy too, I am getting my Certificate III in Community Pharmacy as well. I don't see why everyone gets so twisted up about having to work like everybody else. Theres nothing wrong with taking a long time off work to have a spiritual journey, trek around and all that good stuff. But you still have to work man... You just need to find the line of work you are happy working in 9 to 5 or what ever...
    Working in pharmacy is great for me personally.. sure I have my shirt tucked in, wear dress pants and shiny shoes, but out of work I dress in fisherman's pants, or whatever I have around the place..
    Being a hippie or whatever doesn't mean you have to be some wannabe revolutionary who meditates most the day and then makes his money playing the sitar and selling his abstract or psychedelic art at the market haha.

18. FlowersAreFriendly

FlowersAreFriendly Member

I know what you mean! I want to make a living from music and art and would love to go to California, it's my dream! I don't want to be one of those people at a 9 to 5 job who only live for the weekends :/
    I'm studying art at college at the moment and hope to go to art uni but my dream is to travel everywhere, especially Cali! xx

19. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

Why California? For the weather? :p :biggrin:

20. Driftwood Gypsy

Driftwood Gypsy Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Here here. You're not wrong, you're not far off.

I'm almost 25, highschool graduate with college education, and I'm STILL trying to figure this out. Don't let your parents bring you down, keep going and the best of luck on your journey.
    P.S. my husband has 2 Masters Degrees and is 48 and he's still trying to figure it out too <3
    Get your diploma if possible. it'll be over soon enough, and it'll serve you well.