Good Beer

Discussion in 'Beverages' started by Mason Grey, Aug 12, 2012.

1. RooRshack

RooRshack On Sabbatical

I know, right? I'll drink a PBR to that!

I care more about what's owned by evil fucks and what's not, than what tastes how (in your opinion), because even though it tastes exactly the same as something else, there's a beer snob superstition about it. My friends great-grandaddy's cousin didn't like the aftertaste, therefore anyone who drinks it is an ignorant slob, amirite? Beer flavors are pretty personal, and there's a wide range of "good" beers, just because you can get good beer for five bucks a six pack doesn't make it shit.

2. pensfan13

pensfan13 Senior Member

most people just dont like flavor. and the cheep beers sell a lot because college kids buy a ridiculous amount of it because they just want to get drunk and then you have the poor people that cant spend $7 on 6 beers. then you got the cheap people that just get the cheapest beer they can.
    its really not a surprise that the horse piss beers are by far the biggest sellers.
    sure sometimes you can find a good beer for a 5 spot but not to often, i can only think of one off the top of my head (jd honey brown) the only dirt cheap beer i have seen that wasnt by the big guys and wasnt disgusting (by no means am i saying it was good though) was 'beer 30 light" i have only seen it in one store ever though and thats in linden NJ so i dont get there often but my aunt lives down the street so i do get this $2.50 a six pack beer on the rare occasion. i hear it comes in a 30 pack for 13 that might be in the city though.

3. explorer9891

explorer9891 Member

I don't see the point in buying beer like miller lite or cheaper beer like ice house anymore. Hell, a six pack of some good ipa lasts me close to a week. Now a days I just rather grab a good beer and just drink it in small amounts. After all, gotta appreciate the taste of beer!

4. Pressed_Rat

Pressed_Rat Do you even lift, bruh?

How many different beers have you tried?

Be honest.

5. fx20736

fx20736 Member

well, I have reviewed around 200 on Beer Advocate

6. Pressed_Rat

Pressed_Rat Do you even lift, bruh?

I wasn't talking to you. 200 beers on BA? Not too shabby. I have written maybe 50 on there, but it's been several years.

Let's see your BA reviews.

7. fx20736

fx20736 Member

I am fx20736 on Beer Advocate. In fact, I am fx20736 lots of places on the internet.

8. r0llinstoned

r0llinstoned Gute Nacht, süßer Prinz

I think im gonna go to total wine today and pick up a few more craft brews.

They have a huuuge selection so ill prolly be there a while

9. pensfan13

pensfan13 Senior Member

went to the microbrewery today (evolution craft brewery) their porter and coffee stout are among the best i ever had. i also picked up a growler of the double ipa just for variety.

10. Aerianne

Aerianne Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

I had a Dirty Dog IPA, from Big Dog Brewery. I liked it.

11. RooRshack

RooRshack On Sabbatical

I've probably had about 35 different kinds of beer.

But that's not to say 35 snobby beers, or 35 good beers. Lots of random shit.

If I'm choosing beer from a conventional selection, it's probably shiner bock. Otherwise, I'll try anything once.

I simply take issue with the OP being a douche.... and the ironic fact that he's being a douche in a thread that he kicked off by saying he likes a beer made by the same baddies responsible for all the beer that he hates that totally floods the (world) market.

12. pensfan13

pensfan13 Senior Member

this is interesting to me, i know personally if i have two beers i like equally and one is micro and one is macro, i will tell people to buy the micro and never mention the macro.
    roo you must realize that you are being equally a douche but just in a different way, and without being an obnoxious ass about it. i think the op would have been wiser to say 'craft beers" rather than good beers.

but to say a beer is lesser because of who makes it...well to me thats just as bad as saying a beer is lesser because of the style of beer it is.

i find it funny that nobody mentioned sam adams. they are such and in-between company. they have a great variety of dark and light beers. they are big enough to advertise nationally and they arent the top brand in any type of beer but they are above average (at the very least average) in all the beers that they do make.

right now im drinking an iron city lager. its really not bad for a $5. six pack. i wont be buying it again, i only got it because i always get beers that i never had before if i see them. this has made me have hundreds of good beers as well as hundreds of bad beers.

it almost feels like i should be making a final point here but i dont know, i just say drink good beers no matter who makes them or how they are made.

13. RooRshack

RooRshack On Sabbatical

To a degree, yeah.

I agree, I would reccomend the smaller or more independant company.

But my point is OP's hate, not based on the economic/monopolistic side of things, not because people are hurting independant companies that make just as good a beer, it's because of the percieved quality of the beer..... I expect there are beers on his "hate" list that are very similar to things that he likes just fine, just because of the label.

It just seems sort of mindless. It's not because they're bad companies, it's not because of some PARTICULAR feature of the beer, it's just because he says, those beers have to suck.

14. pensfan13

pensfan13 Senior Member

i know what you mean, i agree with most of what he said about those watered down beers, but Michelob honestly in my opinion is a damn good beer. i dont even put it in the same category as coors miller and bud. the one difference with them is when they make a craft beer they dont try to pretend its some microbrew. they just say hey we made this amber bock we like it we hope you do too.
    my only complaint with them is that they are to quick to pull a beer from the regular lineup. i had a few i liked from them that they dont make anymore.
    its hard for me to hate on a company that is honest and makes something i like.
    now if you look at some other conglomerate that pushes its most famous beer that when described as ... the words i hear most often is 'horse piss'. then they try to sell some beer as a small irish microbrew. i lose a little more respect for that company even if the beer is good. which is the part i agree with both of you on. (i think)

you know who is at fault for this? its prohibition. there was mostly micro's around before that and then when it ended the big companies came in and continued business as usual and the micros had already long gone to their new jobs sweeping floors or digging ditches or whatever they did to get by when they got shut down.