Posted August 02 2012 - 02:47 PM

just as up cannot exist without down.. dumbasses cannot exist without jesus

#22 LetLovinTakeHold

LetLovinTakeHold

Cuz it will if you let it

• PipPipPip
  • 7,987 posts

Posted August 02 2012 - 02:51 PM

He wants the public to feel like if they do anything besides go to church on Sunday then they are scum.

Why do you say that?

#23 Aerianne

Aerianne

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPip
  • 24,009 posts
  • LocationMetro Atlanta

Posted August 02 2012 - 02:56 PM

Why do you say that?

"To have a positive influence on all who come in contact with Chick-fil-A."

http://www.hipforums...pictureid=83323

Edited by Aerianne, August 02 2012 - 03:19 PM.

gallery_213103_7209_563.jpg

#24 NoxiousGas

NoxiousGas

Old Fart

• PipPipPip
  • 7,320 posts
  • LocationIn the bowels of all mankind

Posted August 02 2012 - 03:35 PM

He has been thumbing his nose at the public for years. His stores are closed on Sundays because he says it's the Christian thing to do. He wants the public to feel like if they do anything besides go to church on Sunday then they are scum. He is a pious asshole.

I don't get that one bit at all in the company policy you posted.
It's a private business, if he wants his stores closed on Sundays for personal religious convictions than more power to him.

Remember, that was one of the primary reasons that this country was founded. Religious freedom and freedom of speech.

What is wrong with having "To have a positive influence on all who come in contact with Chick-fil-A." as part of the stated Company Purpose?

Do you think any company wants "To have a negative influence on all who come in contact with (enter Co. name)" to be their stated Company Purpose?

I think you misunderstood that the part about being a good steward of all God has given them is the part related to closing on Sundays, not the line you quoted.

Seriously, your grasping at straws here.

Why does their policy of being closed on Sunday irritate you so much?
Because you have to settle for burgers on Sundays or something?
  • riverman18 likes this
"Do the walls close in and suffocate ya,
you ain't got no friends and all the others they hate ya,
does the life you been leading gotta go?"

"get your shoes and socks on people,
it's right around the corner"

"the poodle bi-i-ites,
the poodle chews it"

#25 Aerianne

Aerianne

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPip
  • 24,009 posts
  • LocationMetro Atlanta

Posted August 02 2012 - 03:55 PM

Why does their policy of being closed on Sunday irritate you so much?
Because you have to settle for burgers on Sundays or something?

My food choices are not relevant.

Besides, if he wanted to close on "The Lord's Day" - Sabbath is from Friday at sundown to Saturday at sundown.

#26 I'minmyunderwear

I'minmyunderwear

voice of sexy

• PipPipPip
  • 38,822 posts

Posted August 02 2012 - 04:13 PM

Can I ask what is Chick a fil??

"chica fill" is what i do with my penis when hanging out with latinas.

chick fil a makes some damn tasty fast food. i don't really care what religious beliefs some asshole that works there has. i guarantee there is a shitty semi-evil asshole in upper management at every fast food place. that said, i don't eat at chick fil a for 3 reasons. 1) they decided not to put a store anywhere near where i live. 2) when i did live kind of close to one, i only drove by it around dinner time on sundays, and their business plan is that people who need to eat on sundays should fuck off. 3) the people that work there are fucking creepy. like, remember bob from the enzyte commercials?

Posted Image

#27 orison

orison

my dog is full of stars

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPip
  • 65,440 posts
  • LocationKissMyAss Penisylvania

Posted August 02 2012 - 04:15 PM

"]Gimme that Filet-O-Fish - YouTube
gallery_104050_1936_34168.jpg

Into the flood again
Same old trip it was back then
So I made a big mistake
Try to see it once my way

#28 LetLovinTakeHold

LetLovinTakeHold

• PipPipPip
  • 7,987 posts

Posted August 02 2012 - 07:26 PM

"To have a positive influence on all who come in contact with Chick-fil-A."

http://www.hipforums...pictureid=83323

Seems to me you're over dramatizing a bit. Almost as if you want him to be a scumbag because his beliefs are different than yours. Fighting intolerance with intolerance?

#29 Aerianne

Aerianne

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPip
  • 24,009 posts
  • LocationMetro Atlanta

Posted August 02 2012 - 07:42 PM

Seems to me you're over dramatizing a bit. Almost as if you want him to be a scumbag because his beliefs are different than yours. Fighting intolerance with intolerance?

I'm completely tolerant of his right to express opinions which I believe make him appear to be a pious asshole.

#30 56olddog

56olddog

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 413 posts

Posted August 02 2012 - 08:00 PM

Dayum, ya'll. If you don't like Chick-fil-A, hell, don't eat there. Problem solved.
  • riverman18 likes this
~

Reason is not automatic. Those who deny it cannot be conquered by it. Do not count on them. Leave them alone.

#31 Aerianne

Aerianne

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPip
  • 24,009 posts
  • LocationMetro Atlanta

Posted August 02 2012 - 08:07 PM

He's a shrewd business man, I'll give him that. He has managed to capitalize on catering to the Christian market in this area.

#32 LetLovinTakeHold

LetLovinTakeHold

• PipPipPip
  • 7,987 posts

Posted August 03 2012 - 08:19 AM

I find it ironic that so many people are exercising their right to free speech to protest someone using his right to free speech.

#33 lovelyxmalia

lovelyxmalia

Banana Hammock

• Lifetime Supporter 
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,568 posts

Posted August 03 2012 - 08:40 AM

let me start by saying that I'm all for gay marriage and equality in gay relationships across the board. Please, keep that in mind for what I am about to post is going to make me sound like a tool bag (hey, at least you've been warned).

My take on this Chik-Fil-A thing is who gives a flying fuck?!

This shit is being taken so far outta fuckin control that gays all over the country are doing a "kiss in" Are you fucking kidding me?! A kiss-in?!

And to boot, because they are doing this "kiss-in" the media and all these fuckin people are comparing it to the civil rights movement and the sit ins.

Let me make one point clear - during the times when the blacks were doing the sit ins, they were being treated like absolute garbage in this country. They wanted to be equal to every other man in the sense of being able to shit in the same toilet and eat at the same restaurant and vote in the elections. They wanted to be SAVED from all of the beatings and discriminations the white man brought upon them.

How in fucks name is that related to this "kiss in" where the gays are standing in front of these restaurants and making out cuz the president of this restaurant doesn't like them? Can gays not vote? Do they not have the right to walk into any restaurant they choose? Can they use the same toilet as straight people? Just because a company is against gay marriage doesn't put this anywhere near the caliper of the civil rights movement in the 1960s.

And yes, I understand there are hate crimes against gays. But they aren't the only ones. There are hate crimes against every walk of life for one reason or another.

No matter what you do or where you go, there will always be someone who doesn't like you or doesn't agree with what you're doing. You should just keep on keepin on and fuckin forget about it. Instead of making this huge fuckin deal cuz some shitty restaurant I've never heard of until now decides they don't like gays.

#34 Manservant Hecubus

Manservant Hecubus

Master of Funk and Evil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,908 posts

Posted August 03 2012 - 08:50 AM

Probably the best post I've read on the topic, from this fellows blog.
http://www.owldolatrous.com/?p=288

This post is all I have to say about the Chick-Fil-A controversy. It sums up various posts on the issue and various points made by my friends and I. From now own, rather than spend time debating this issue person by person, I’m going to point people here.

My hope here is to find common ground with those who have disagreed with me on the issue, and maybe to persuade. It’s not to ridicule or to best.

So, in the interest of common ground, let’s start here: I acknowledge the absurdity of all this debate.

It’s definitely strange to have days-long Facebook debates flare up everywhere over a chicken sandwich. The anger, sarcasm, and hurt feelings on display seem strange or even laughable because most people have seen Chick-Fil-A as just a restaurant with a funny ad campaign. I’ll get into some of the whys and wherefores of that later. But, for now, let’s just say that, yes. It can seem ridiculous to get all worked up over fast-food chicken.

Let’s also agree that this isn’t about curtailing anyone’s rights under First Amendment. The Constitution is a legal document. This is not a legal argument. No one is arguing that Chik-fil-A CEO Dan Cathy should be put in prison, or silenced, or censored by the government. This has nothing to do with government censorship or government abridgment of Freedom of Speech. So don’t worry: the ability of this millionaire to legally spend his millions as he sees fit is not in jeopardy. You need not defend it.

Now, let’s get to the nitty-gritty of things. Please read carefully. These things have been said before, but not by me, and not all in one place. Please read with an open mind. If you can’t read with an open mind, please leave, take a minute, come back, and try again. If you can’t do that, then please don’t bother. Please read all of the words here, rather than just reading half of the argument and assuming you know what I’m saying. Read these words as they are written. Again, if you don’t want to read my words, then don’t continue.

So here goes:

1. This isn’t simply about marriage. Shocker, right? It’s extremely frustrating that same-sex marriage is the great continental divide. People are judged according to how they stand on this issue, as if no other issue matters. Did you know that a person can be for same-sex marriage and still be homophobic? Did you know that a person can be against same-sex marriage and be gay? We all get categorized very quickly based on the marriage issue and maybe that’s not fair. But here’s what you should know:

- In 29 states in America today, my partner of 18 years, Cody, or I could be fired for being gay. Period. No questions asked. One of those states is Louisiana, our home state. We live in self-imposed exile from beloved homeland, family, and friends, in part, because of this legal restriction on our ability to live our lives together.

- In 75 countries in the world, being gay is illegal. In many, the penalty is life in prison. These are countries we can’t openly visit. In 9 countries, being gay is punishable by death. In many others, violence against gays is tacitly accepted by the authorities. These are countries where we would be killed. Killed.

- Two organizations that work very hard to maintain this status quo and roll back any protections that we may have are the Family Research Council and the Marriage & Family Foundation. For example, the Family Research council leadership has officially stated that same-gender-loving behavior should be criminalized in this country. They draw their pay, in part, from the donations of companies like Chick-Fil-A. Both groups have also done “missionary” work abroad that served to strengthen and promote criminalization of same-sex relations.

- Chick-Fil-A has given roughly $5M to these organizations to support their work.

- Chick-Fil-A’s money comes from the profits they make when you purchase their products.

2. This isn’t about mutual tolerance because there’s nothing mutual about it. If we agree to disagree on this issue, you walk away a full member of this society and I don’t. There is no “live and let live” on this issue because Dan Cathy is spending millions to very specifically NOT let me live. I’m not trying to do that to him.

Asking for “mutual tolerance” on this like running up to a bully beating a kid to death on the playground and scolding them both for not getting along. I’m not trying to dissolve Mr. Cathy’s marriage or make his sex illegal. I’m not trying to make him a second-class citizen, or get him killed. He’s doing that to me, folks; I’m just fighting back.

All your life, you’re told to stand up to bullies, but when WE do it, we’re told WE are the ones being intolerant? Well, okay. Yes. I refuse to tolerate getting my ass kicked. “Guilty as charged.”

But what are you guilty of? When you see a bully beating up a smaller kid and you don’t take a side, then you ARE taking a side. You’re siding with the bully. And when you cheer him on, you’re revealing something about your own character that really is a shame.

3. This isn’t about Jesus. I have a lot of Christian friends. Most of them are of the liberal variety, it’s true, but even this concept seems lost on some of you. Most of them are pro-LGBT rights. Pro-gay and Pro-Christ are NOT mutually exclusive. They never have been, in the history of Christianity, though it’s been difficult at times. It’s not impossible to be both.

If someone is telling you it is, then maybe you should wonder why they’d do that. I see divorced Christians, remarried Christians, drug addict Christians. I see people with WWJD bracelets bumping and grinding on TV and raking in millions to do it. I see greedy, rapacious, vengeful people who are Christians. And these people are accepted in the Church, and the Church does very little to combat them. Sometimes it seems like being gay is the ONLY thing certain modern Christian movements won’t allow. Why’s that, I wonder?

Jesus had almost nothing to say about sexual behavior of any kind. He was too busy teaching more important things. Empathy is at the heart of his teachings. “Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.” Remember that? It’s in red. So let’s examine that:

4. If things were reversed, I’d stand up for you.

Please think about this: How would you feel if KFC came out tomorrow and said they were spending money against equality for Asian Americans, or African Americans, or religious people? Really. Think about it. What would you do? How would you feel? How would you feel if, after their announcement, there was a big increase in KFC sales and I was all over Facebook supporting KFC. Please stop reading right now and imagine this. I’m serious.

You can stop now because it’s ludicrous. It would never happen.

Oh, I don’t mean the part about KFC being against some group. That COULD happen. I mean the part about me supporting them. Let me tell you something, and you can damn well believe it: I’d sign on for the boycott IMMEDIATELY.

Why? Well, because I believe in equality for all people, that’s why. But also, personally, from the bottom of my heart: because you are my friend, and I don’t willingly support people who harm you for just being you. How could I? How could I, really? But, more importantly for our purposes, how could you?

Seriously, how could you? What has Chick-Fil-A ever done for you? Sold you some fatty chicken at a ridiculous mark-up? Made you chuckle at semi-literate cartoon cows? You mean more to me than KFC possibly could. If I, in turn, don’t mean more to you than a chicken sandwich from Chik-Fil-A–if my life, my quality of life, and my dignity are such afterthoughts to you that you’d not only refuse the boycott, but go out of your way to support someone who was hurting me? if I let this stand, if I don’t stand up to the bullies and if I let my friends egg the bullies on, what does that make me?

Well, it makes me a Chikin.

Yeah, so suddenly it is cause for anger, ridiculous or not.

But I’m not going to stop being Facebook friends with anyone over this issue.

Instead, I will remain. And, when you see my face with my partner’s in my profile, maybe you will examine not simply what your opinions are about gay people, or gay marriage, or the first amendment, even; maybe you’ll examine not merely your opinions but your values. What is friendship to you? What is loyalty? How important are human life and dignity to you? Are they more important than fitting in with your social group? Are they more important than loyalty to a corporate brand, or a political party, or some misguided church teaching?

That’s why we’re so angry. This is personal for us. There are times in your life when you have the opportunity to stand up for your friends. When you let that opportunity pass, your friends notice. It doesn’t mean we can’t be friends, but it diminishes you, and it diminishes the friendship. That’s how it is, no matter what the issue or what the venue.

So stand up. Stand up for us. Do the right thing. You don’t have to agree with us on everything, but repudiate Chick-Fil-A. Unlike them on Facebook. Withdraw your support for them. Join us in the boycott. If you can’t do that, then please ask yourself whether I’m your friend. In fact, ask yourself whether anyone is.

This is all I have to say. If you’d like to debate the issue further, I’ll do it, but I’m not going to go around and around on the same points. If you’re just going to repeat yourself, save us both some time. If you haven’t taken the time to actually read this carefully and actually consider carefully what I’ve said, then I see no reason to waste further words.

The ball is in your court. Again, I urge you to do the right thing.

- Wayne Self

http://t1.gstatic.co...EkdIUXphLC3F7UQ
"Now we're cooking with Evil gas!"

#35 Meliai

Meliai

• PipPipPip
  • 11,810 posts

Posted August 03 2012 - 08:51 AM

The only thing that really bothers me about this whole debacle is the sheer number of people that showed up yesterday to show support for chik fil a.

This country has serious issues. It's falling apart. There are a million things wrong with it, and the one issue the mainstream public decides to support has to do with giving a goddamn fast food corporation even more profit?

Fucking ridiculous. Welcome to 'merica.

Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens ~Tolkien

#36 RooRshack

RooRshack

On Sabbatical

• PipPipPip
  • 11,112 posts

Posted August 03 2012 - 08:56 AM

I don't get why so many people care so much.

I mean, on one hand, yeah, he's an asshole....

I don't know how the chain works, is it a publically traded company?

If it's a public company, I don't think that they should have "free speech" on a political topic, that seems like citizens united type BS to me. But if it's privately owned I think they should be able to say whatever they want -- with the potential outcome that people choose not to eat there and support those private individuals views.

But who really cares? He has not refused to serve gay people, satan's money is good money too.... If you don't like it don't eat there. I wouldn't eat there anyways...... Never have, never planned on it, this has not influenced me at all.

RIP cosmoknot.

image.php?u=191931&type=sigpic&dateline=

Missing at ocala: A true feminist, rumored to be traveling with bigfoot and a man of impeccable scottish credentials.

#37 Meliai

Meliai

• PipPipPip
  • 11,810 posts

Posted August 03 2012 - 09:54 AM

I hope one day they link rising rates of homosexuality to the hormones they pump in chickens raised on the inhumane chicken farms which supply chik fil a.

I know it doesn't really work that way but Oh sweet irony :D

Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens ~Tolkien

#38 Karen J

Karen J

~

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,961 posts
  • Locationthe unmentionable state

Posted August 03 2012 - 12:15 PM

I don't think any reasonable person is saying that Dan Cathy does not have the right to express his views. But the rest of us have an equal right to publicly disagree with him, and to question his judgment.

Besides my political/social/moral disagreement with him, he is one leader in a trend toward rejecting one of the fundamental unwritten rules of business, which is to never piss off customers over something that has nothing to do with what you do for a living. I think it's a terrible idea.

Everybody knows that various businesses are owned by all kinds of people with all kinds of views and values, but most of them know when to keep their mouths shut. For example, most of us have bought many things in stores owned by Jewish people, but their sales in America would drop like a stone if they started printing "Jesus was a fraud" on their shopping bags. You know what Jews believe, but they don't rub your nose in it on a daily basis. In other words, they respect all their customers.

When Dan Cathy was quietly giving millions to groups that I disagree with, I didn't have to deal with it. But when he started speaking publicly about it, that made me morally responsible for what I do with that information. I'm going to have to stop patronizing them, because I'm not going to knowingly support any of his favorite causes with one penny of my money.

This is one of those days for me that it sucks to have a conscience, because I like Chick-Fil-A's chicken. Compared to other fast food options, the calories, fat grams and saturated fat are not too bad there because they use peanut oil.

And...let's not let Mike Huckabee totally off the hook in this thread. He didn't start the controversy, but he single-handedly elevated it to the next level. Wednesday's event was his idea. I'm not really sure he is helping that company. In the short term, they had a huge sales day on Wednesday. But now they have become a lightning rod for gay protesters.

Does Dan Cathy even know what he has gotten his company into? This controversy is not going to go away anytime soon. Are all his employees prepared to deal with all the problems that they are about to face?

Quietly avoiding right-wing activist businesses at a personal level may not work out in the long run, if the current trend continues. Another restaurant chain in this area (Cook-Out) prints Bible verses on their bags, and a locally owned restaurant in the area allows a prayer group to meet in the main room and do long fundamentalist prayers that everyone can hear. At least two others have printed statements publicly announcing their financial support of pro-life organizations. How many places am I going to have to cross off my list?
:toetap05:

I'd like to see more people simply demand that businesses get back to what they are supposed to be doing, which is to focus on providing a product or service that customers are willing to pay for. They can do whatever they want on their own time, and with their own money, just like the rest of us. Any other approach is going to take us in a bad direction. I don't think you have to take a Business 101 class to understand this.

#39 Aerianne

Aerianne

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPip
  • 24,009 posts
  • LocationMetro Atlanta

Posted August 03 2012 - 02:17 PM

I don't think any reasonable person is saying that Dan Cathy does not have the right to express his views. But the rest of us have an equal right to publicly disagree with him, and to question his judgment.

Besides my political/social/moral disagreement with him, he is one leader in a trend toward rejecting one of the fundamental unwritten rules of business, which is to never piss off customers over something that has nothing to do with what you do for a living. I think it's a terrible idea.

And...let's not let Mike Huckabee totally off the hook in this thread. He didn't start the controversy, but he single-handedly elevated it to the next level. Wednesday's event was his idea. I'm not really sure he is helping that company. In the short term, they had a huge sales day on Wednesday. But now they have become a lightning rod for gay protesters.

Does Dan Cathy even know what he has gotten his company into? This controversy is not going to go away anytime soon. Are all his employees prepared to deal with all the problems that they are about to face?

I'd like to see more people simply demand that businesses get back to what they are supposed to be doing, which is to focus on providing a product or service that customers are willing to pay for. They can do whatever they want on their own time, and with their own money, just like the rest of us. Any other approach is going to take us in a bad direction. I don't think you have to take a Business 101 class to understand this.

I agree.

#40 Karen J

Karen J

~

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,961 posts
  • Locationthe unmentionable state

Posted August 03 2012 - 02:43 PM

Also, I hope that not too many folks will miss the broader context of all this. We are fighting a culture war, and if you want to win a war, you have to take every battle seriously. All the minority groups have to support each other, or else we will get picked off one by one. We can't afford to say, "This isn't my issue" just because we aren't likely to be affected personally, this time around. Next time, you may be the victim.

It's always the same old battle, isn't it? We have the group that believes tolerance to be one of the cornerstones of civilization as we know it, and another group that seems to be constantly saying, "Everybody should be required to be like me, because I'm never wrong. I know all of God's opinions." I just don't understand how a rational adult can feel that way. :(

I used to believe that only teenagers thought they knew everything. :D
Life is short. Try to spend most of it on the good stuff.