when to harvest gooseberries

Discussion in 'Gardening' started by Miluiel, Jul 20, 2012.

1. Miluiel

Miluiel Guest

I have two gooseberry bushes in my garden, which have masses of green gooseberries on but I have no idea when they are meant to be harvested- I picked a few and they are really sour, so don't think they can be ready- does anyone know how to tell when they are ready to pick? I think this is a cooking variety of gooseberry cos the berries stay green!

[​IMG]

2. deleted

deleted Visitor

when they are full.. they cant really get much larger. once they are full and round. They are edible. the green ones are a little sour. yes they are cooking kinds. however you can eat them raw with no ills to worry about..
    they should be a tad soft to the touch too, when you apply pressure to the skin. to hard, then you should wait maybe a few more days as they ripen. but again they may be sour but not cause any illness..

3. Miluiel

Miluiel Guest

Thanks for your reply Orison319! I think the berries are probably ripe, some have turned a lighter green now and slightly softer on the side that gets the most sun. Very sour though. I will just use a lot of sugar to cook with. I do not wish to give my family a stomach-ache! :)

[​IMG]

4. pensfan13

pensfan13 Senior Member

That has to be crulety to animals taking a gooses berries

5. StpLSD25

StpLSD25 Senior Member

Gooseberry? Who eva heard of a gooseberry?

[​IMG]