Feeling alone around other people?

Discussion in 'Relationships' started by Fitch3k, Jun 8, 2012.

1. Fitch3k

Fitch3k Member

I have always felt alone around other people. I could be with a best friend, a few friends, a girl friend, or at a party and I always feel alone. Like I am the only one present in that time and space. I'm very good at getting people to open up about theirselves and get into detail about why they think, like, or dislike the things they do, but that isn't enough to make me feel connected. Anyone else experience this? Why do you think we feel this way? Anyone got over this and how?

2. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood Senior Moment Lifetime Supporter

Yes...

I have no idea... Just out of sync with other people.

I became a recluse.

Not making light of your thread, the above it the truth. 55 years on this planet and I have yet to find anyone that I don't feel this way with.

3. foresting

foresting Member

I used to feel like that. But then I started yoga and meditation and filled my life with love and light and now I feel at peace always.

4. Red_Rose

Red_Rose Banned

I think I understand what you mean, Fitch. I tend to find that: I can talk to people, but find it difficult to make that social connection with them that most other people can make: the kind that leads to people becoming friends rather than just acquaintences. It's as if there is a sheet of glass between me and the other person.

Recently I was diagnosed with Asperger's Syndrome, and psychologists are discovering that this is more common than previously thought. Forget the stereotype image of Asperger's: I'm not the Rain Man - I can't memorise telephone directories - I just find it difficult to make social connections with people. Could you have mild Asperger's too? The symptoms can often be very subtle.