Sodas...good or bad?

Discussion in 'Beverages' started by Blue-Moon*, May 19, 2012.

1. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

Hmm interesting, I don't experience it myself though. It must depends on the person as well. I guess the most important thing is moderation anyway.

2. stoner oxy80

stoner oxy80 *"Senior~Stoned~Member"*

mt dew and budlight is what i live on.

3. FireflyInTheDark

FireflyInTheDark Sell-out with a Heart of Gold

The most recent research I heard about was that your brain registers that you have had something sweet and triggers insulin production as if you have had sugar, but with no sugar in your blood, it just floats around, which can be damaging in itself, but it also makes you hungry or crave sugar, anything to take up the excess insulin. If you have more diet soda, it just perpetuates itself. If you give in and eat, you'll feel better because your body is using the insulin, but you've ruined your diet because you're eating more.
    If I recall correctly... I haven't read the article in a long time... Wouldn't even know where to look for it, sorry.

4. Asmodean

It doesn't apply to me at all happily :)

5. walsh

walsh Senior Member

I make my own sodas from 100% natural ingredients.

-Carbonated mineral water
    -Stevia natural sweetener
    -A few squirts of fruit juice like lemon, orange or whatever you like

None of that artificial crap and tastes just as good as commercial soda.

6. Delta 9 The Psychonaut

Delta 9 The Psychonaut Member

I used to drink lots of soda and then I started getting fat so I started just drinking water and unsweetened tea, I swear I lost 20 pounds. There is so much sugar in soda!

7. Asmodean

I drink water as well daily, but sometimes I just want a little flavour. Taste is personal of course, and also depends on what you're used to. I am used to diet coke and it tastes good to me (depending on the brand :p). Not so much when I cut back on sugar at first of course. I remember I didn't liked tea and coffee without sugar at all (also never liked aspartane rubbish in there, but I personally have no problem with it in most soda's I like). Now I find coffee without sugar taste more pleasant than with it.

8. eatlysergicacid

eatlysergicacid Creep in a T-Shirt

I despise aspartame products if for no other reason, because they make me ridiculously thirsty when I drink them. It's like, you're thirsty, then for the moments while you drink a diet beverage it feels moderately better, and then immediately afterwards your problem has multiplied ten fold. That's my experience anyway.

9. MarleyMoon

MarleyMoon Member

I like some sodas but water is my favorite drink. The thing that concerns me is that if you put a penny in a fuse box, the entire house will burn down around the penny(so Ive heard) but if you put a penny in a glass of soda it will destroy the penny. Im not sure if its true or not but it does worry me. My husband drinks a lot of soda and summer is the only time I can talk him into water with my concerns of him dehydrating, whatever works. I also have a female friend who gets a lot of UTIs and drink nothing but soda, I think that is why but she denies it.

10. RooRshack

RooRshack On Sabbatical

I don't know anything about this article or study specifically.

But being diabetic, I can tell you that normal non-diabetics start producing insulin by even thinking about food, so that when the sugar hits there's insulin ready-but you won't make so much as to have low blood sugar problems, or it will be countered by glucagon. I expect drinking diet soda will but your blood sugar in the low-normal range, and this will make you feel weaker and hungry.

In short, it makes you feel exactly what fat people on diets already have a problem with, and makes them eat junk food in desperation for fast carbs.

11. biohazard5500

biohazard5500 Member

bad for you, but tastes so good!

12. hipinainteasy

hipinainteasy Member

random information, but once when i was a child, my father said beer was healthier for you then soda so i compared the two and it turns out that you could consider beer healthier then soda, even though if you drink one to many it could be fatal, its a lot less calories and sugars.

13. Jennifer19

Jennifer19 Senior Member

I drink sprite zero with water, I will fill the glass half and half. I like it better that way. I still get the soda taste along with getting some water in me, I don't like those packets with the fruit water things

14. jaredfelix

jaredfelix Namaste ॐ

Sounds more like diluted death to me ^

I never drink soda

15. hipinainteasy

hipinainteasy Member

^^very nice its not good at all. legit no benefits

16. jimmyjoe1

jimmyjoe1 toker Lifetime Supporter

No. water only good enough for the thirst...

17. Poppy Sunshine

Poppy Sunshine atypical hippie Lifetime Supporter

i do the same thing when i drink any juice other than OJ and usually i dilute things like gatorade as well. i'm so used to drinking water that regular strength anything is usually too strong of a taste for me. the only time i've ever diluted soda pop is with alcohol, lol.

18. Jennifer19

Jennifer19 Senior Member

I'm trying to get more water in me. it's hard, I just don't like drinking water by itself

19. Asmodean

Like most things when done in moderation: not so bad at all.

20. pensfan13

pensfan13 Senior Member

i came to this thread to type this and it was the first post i saw when i came here today.