How would I go about this?

Discussion in 'The Future' started by DaisyButtercup, May 10, 2012.

1. DaisyButtercup

DaisyButtercup Guest

I really want to travel around the world but teach music and art at the same time. I want to teach those who actually want to learn and those less fortunate... But how would i go about it? Just turn up somewhere and ask if they want to learn? or somehow advertise myself? Also, i'm not doing it as a job, like i don't want money off them, just their happiness and possibly a place to sleep when i'm there :)

2. Indn_hippie

Indn_hippie Member

Maybe start by having some music / art qualifications ? I guess you could become a private tutor of sorts - any particular instrument ? I myself, have been contemplating music and art too. I kind of simmered down in terms of trying to travel - ill just let it happen but I may try to get some qualifications in either music or art.

Good Luck to you , :)

3. DaisyButtercup

DaisyButtercup Guest

Well i'm going to do music and art at college next year, but i was thinking, as long as i can do those subjects, would it matter if i had qualifications or not? I already play guitar and do a lot of art so i know what i'm doing.

Thankyou, and good luck to you too :)

4. Jimmy P

Jimmy P bastion of awesomeness

What you're talking about is near impossible to organize before leaving. And the possibilities will vary greatly depending on where you want to travel (You said the world, so I'm assuming you're not another one of these americans who think of roaming their own country as traveling)

People aren't gonna care about diplomas and certifications, that's western bullshit. If you can play - and, more importantly, teach - well, then people will be happy to learn from you.

However, most people will likely not want to offer you a place to stay in exchange. There is always couch surfing and stuff, but that is not viable for a long term plan.

I think you could probably also have some luck just playing out of a bar somewhere, I know a couple guys who get paid enough to get by from that where I live.

In my opinion, your best bet would be to get a flight (and perhaps a visa if you want to stat for longer), set off on your journey, don't limit yourself to just your guitar & art, and you will find lots of opportunities along the way.

5. DaisyButtercup

DaisyButtercup Guest

I would love to travel around America ( i'm from England ) But i really want to go to places like India and Africa too. I could even teach them English, if they wanted. I don't mind not being offered a place to stay at all. I just want to help people whilst enjoying myself too :)

6. Indn_hippie

Indn_hippie Member

Hmm you just reminded me... Have you thought about teaching English abroad as a foreign language. That may help you ! TEFL

And thnx 4 da well wishes :D

7. DaisyButtercup

DaisyButtercup Guest

I just thought of that in my last reply :) It's a great idea! Thanks. It would also help them in reading and writing too. I don't want to bring too much of my culture into theirs though :)

8. Harpo

Harpo Member

A friend of mine started out teaching English as a foreign language, in such countries as Venezuela and Mexico.
    Now he does pretty much the same thing, in such countries as Azerbaijan and Sudan, working for the British Consulate. Try contacting them (the consulate) and see what help they can offer you