Political Cartoons

Discussion in 'Activism' started by Shale, Apr 23, 2012.

1. Shale

Shale ~

I have been doing bad drawings of my concepts for years. Today, I just scanned a bunch of my drawings of political/social issues in which I was involved. Some of these were accompanied by op-ed letters/articles.

A lot of them were while in Gainesville, Florida - where I was involved in activism in this backwater Southern town which was influenced by the dominant University of Florida.

Some of these drawings might piss off some ppl. Some are sort of embarrassing to me now, but take into account my age and the zeitgeist of the moment.

Anyhow, here is my collection of drawings over the years. I wrote explanations on some of the pix for those who weren't around in that period and don't have an idea to what it refers.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Shale

Shale ~

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    I can't remember exactly what inspired this. Possibly some reaction the the Klan which was active in Gainesville. I remember passing them out as coloring sheets at our gay pride picnic.

3. Shale

Shale ~

[​IMG]
    This is now history, but I was just showing some history of gays in uniform.

[​IMG]
    Repugnican Bob Dole wrote the Defense of Marriage Act but politician Bill Clinton signed off on it. I thot this was fitting.

[​IMG]

Again, Clinton the appeaser kept throwing bones to the right wing nuts. This cartoon had several incarnations and the one that got published was the school prayer, but when he fired Surgeon General Joycelyn Elders it sorta pissed me off. I wrote him a letter on that one and his staff replied with some political Bullshit that had holes in logic. "She did a great job but I fired her" was what it boiled down to.

[​IMG]
    This pic refers to some idiocy spouted by the KKK in Gainesville and some idiocy spouted in the Doctrine of the Faith of the Catholic Church. This pic was published in the college paper in G'vlle and a gay paper in Miami.

4. Shale

Shale ~

[​IMG]

I scanned this because it was made by hand before I got my first computer. It is an example of how we used to have to do things with rulers and work lines and lettering templates. Took quite a while to do something that I could do now in a couple of minutes in Word.

[​IMG]

Some of my ideas were just whimsical or illustrated other opinions, not particularly political.

Such as my enjoyment of the fragrance of natural armpits
    [​IMG]

Or how a Greek Cow would say 'Moo'

[​IMG]

5. Shale

Shale ~

[​IMG]
    My wife actually came up with this idea, tho I like the play on words. I just put it to paper. But it lets ppl know how my wife could put up with a nerd like me.

And, being into words, this drawing is from a foto in the newspaper, with the very caption that was printed - 'bolted' being the word in play.
    [​IMG]

6. Duck

Duck quack. Lifetime Supporter

Cool stuff; I've been meaning to make some of my own.

7. Shale

Shale ~

Here's a couple more I did for Safer Sex instruction.

The screw/washer analogy was not my idea, but it is my pic.
    [​IMG]

This was my idea (and my undies ;))
    [​IMG]