I want to become a chemist

Discussion in 'Higher Ed' started by NYdeadhead1993, Apr 22, 2012.

1. NYdeadhead1993

NYdeadhead1993 Member

I want to become a chemist. Teach chemistry in schools? Could I go to a school for this with a GED?

2. RooRshack

RooRshack On Sabbatical

Depends on how old you are, and what you can score on the SAT.

If you have a good SAT score you will probably be able to, even if not at the world's greatest school.

If you have yet to drop out and get a GED and that's why you're asking, no, you really can't, it's always much better to have the real thing, I've known more than one individual with a GED to go back to high school much later in life, to get that diploma.

If you dropped out a long time ago, it's much easier than if you just did a month/year/3/5 ago. College will want your HS transcript, and to see that you can finish what you start and do the work to make good grades....... But SAT is the really important part unless you're trying to go to a super snobby university of the type that wants your facebook and twitter along with your list of published works for undergrad applications.

3. NYdeadhead1993

NYdeadhead1993 Member

Thank you, I definetly think I need to return to high school. And get that diPloma. I didn't drop out, I got arrested and had to move back to NY so I was taken out of school. I planned on graduating in may and everything. Go to college soon after. I was talking to guidance counselOr about the SAT. I just want to get my degree and get a job being a chemist. Science amazes me especially the fact that a receptor in the brain can be altered by certain chemicals.

4. RooRshack

RooRshack On Sabbatical

Then it shouldn't be hard for you to get back into school and get a diploma.

Depending on your age, you may end up paying or something though, I don't know.

5. NYdeadhead1993

NYdeadhead1993 Member

The thing is, in Pennsylvania the credit system is different than new York. You need 26 credits to graduate, in NY 44. However, you get credit for a year course in pA, in NY you get a credit each half semester. I literally needed one credit to graduate and a math and science credit. I'm only 18.

6. unfocusedanakin

unfocusedanakin The Archaic Revival Lifetime Supporter

Many community colleges offers an associates in chemistry, and also accept GED or diploma. Once you get that assocaites the diploma means nothing, you are beyond that. Might be something to consider since you could easily transfer to a 4 year school at some point plus pay lower tuition for a few years. It matters where you graduate from, not where you started.

Teaching chemistry would involve certification in secondary education, which is middle and high school.

7. walsh

walsh Senior Member

What do you mean chemist? I have a chemistry degree but very few people would call themselves a 'chemist' anymore if they taught, worked or researched in chemistry. A 'chemist' in most countries is termed a pharmacist who dispense drugs, researchers in chemistry are whatever their title is - postdoc, lecturer, professor. There are industrial positions in chemistry but I doubt they would call themselves chemists either, since they are usually involved with either R&D or the business side of things.

Also chemists don't really deal with receptors at all. That's pharmacology or medical science so if you're interested in receptors you should do that.

8. spexxx

spexxx Member

You don't have a hidden agenda like most of the people who say they want to do chemistry here DO YOU? :eek:

9. IslandHippie

IslandHippie Member

You should be able to go to the local college in your area and start from there. They will likely have a test to see what upgrading you will need to get into the sciences you want. It will likely be a long process, but if you have the smarts, and the motivation, anyone can become a teacher.

10. NYdeadhead1993

NYdeadhead1993 Member

I don't have a hidden agenda. I want to work with chemicals and be able to make LSD for research and development. I just need to learn. I guess a pharmacologist would be best route for my agenda?

11. unfocusedanakin

unfocusedanakin The Archaic Revival Lifetime Supporter

Well anything with a strong background in organic chemistry is your goal then. I have heard stories of chemists who has a background in other types of chemistry, and and they were able to produce LSD, but it was a bit dirty. But that may have just been them cutting corners.

It won't hurt you to prepare for a legit job. In fact I think you will find looking "legit" will really help you to get the precursors and equipment you are going to need.

For example one of the main precursors you need is used to manufacture migraine medicine, maybe something that gives you access to that field?