Pescatarian world!

Discussion in 'Vegetarian' started by drumminmama, Mar 13, 2012.

1. eggsprog

eggsprog anti gang marriage HipForums Supporter

It's been about 7 years since I've eaten meat or poultry, but I started to eat fish about 9 months ago to help with my rheumatoid arthritis. I was just taking fish oil for a little while, but decided that it would be better to purchase sustainably sourced fish as I was not comfortable with the way fish oil is produced.

Strange thing is, before I went vegetarian I only ate fish maybe 5 or 6 times in my life. Now I eat it 3-4 times/week, usually salmon if I can afford it.

2. Gongshaman

Gongshaman Modus Lascivious

Hold the show!..
    http://www.nbcnews.com/health/fish-oils-may-raise-prostate-cancer-risks-study-confirms-6C10597283
    Fish oils may raise prostate cancer risks, study confirms

3. drumminmama

drumminmama Super Moderator Super Moderator

Still critters, but would krill oil do? I don't know much about its production, however.

4. Gongshaman

Good question... krill are shrimp, no?

5. Alex0256

Alex0256 Member

I've been a pescatarian for 3 years now and I eat the occasional fish once in a while but not to much.

I tried being a vegetarian but it's hard when you don't have other accesses to protein besides nuts and whey protein powder(which I don't trust). I need the protein because I am trying to gain muscle as I am trying to get muscle definition.

6. drumminmama

Can't you have beans /pulses?

7. kansas

kansas Member

I'm sorry who c o lux give up sushi and scallions weird fish is what makes life bright

8. drumminmama

Want to try that in English?

9. Aranyani

Aranyani Members

Exactly! Pescetarianism is no form of vegetarianism, because its the same as saying ''I don't eat meat, buuut you know, only chicken'' or anything like that. I'm saying this, because there are so many people out there who call themselves ''vegetarians'' but then they're like ''yeah but I eat fish'', and just abuse the word. Pescetarianism is a good starting step towards vegetarianism, as vegetarianism is only okay if its a step toward veganism, since vegetarians also hurt animals. If you're pescetarian, because you don't want to hurt animals, you should be slowly moving toward veganism, because that's the only form that indeed does not hurt any animal whatsoever.

10. drumminmama

Just a selection of the ground I've already gone over in this thread.
    As I was told an embarrassingly long time ago, "welcome to Hip Forums. Now read."
    That holds true as much today as it did in the late 1990s, when I joined. (That was two iterations ago. Yeah, I need a life.)

11. drumminmama

I want to address something else here. NO MATTER why you are vegetarian, it's a good thing.
    There's no rule that one must eventually go vegan. If you do, great. If you don't, fine.
    Every meal without animals is a win.

12. Gongshaman

It's unfortunate that anyone has to be part of an 'ism. It's none of my business what other people chose to eat or not eat. Vegetarianism just sounds so militant, and vegan, well most people are confused what the difference is. I think it doesn't sound bad if a person says "I don't eat stuff that comes from animals" But If they say 'I'm vegan' I just think thats ludicrus, does that really define you? Or " I'm vegetarian"...Who cares? I like vegetables... If it comes up, what about, "I don't like meat"... sounds less holier-than-though than "Oh, I'm vegetarian"

I really don't care and I'm not offended, or judging either way, I think not eating meat or eating less meat is probably a good thing, but I see people who seem offended by the mere mention of the terms vegetarian and vegan and it all strikes me as a bit silly IMO.

Anyway don't mind me, pescetarians, I like fish too, lol

13. eggsprog

eggsprog anti gang marriage HipForums Supporter

I find that it is usually meat eaters that will use the term vegetarian. I'll say that I don't eat meat and will be asked if I'm vegetarian. I usually just say yes, because I generally don't want to bother explaining that I don't eat meat or poultry, but do eat some fish.

I never use the term pescatarian in conversation... sounds really pretentious to me.

14. drumminmama

Thing is, some vegetarians do deal with cravings.
    I'm veg because I disagree with how we raise animals, the lack of care overall about the balance of meat in an omnivore diet (before getting to SAD).
    I can't honsetly say I don't like meat.
    I recall liking fish. I recall liking goat. But that was the 1980s.
    I don't know if I'd like them now.

Plus, I like shorthand. Tell me you are vegetarian, and I'll cook a dairy meal.
    Tell me you are vegan, and I'll be 100 percent plant on the plate.

15. Gongshaman

Yeah but you're like, cool and stuff... ;)

16. drumminmama

Lol. That might be the first time anyone has said that on Hip. Thanks!

1 person likes this.
  17. kuriiroobi

kuriiroobi Members

This is already an old thread, but I wonder why some “vegetarians” still eat fish – ok, it’s called pescatarian, but what’s the difference of eating beef or fish? To me, both are animals and if you do not want to eat animals, why would you eat fish then? I would consider both as DEAD animals and I wouldn’t eat something dead…but some people might say that eggs or even plants are also “dead”…it’s probably this conception of KILLING something so that I can nourish myself…because why can’t you survive with vegetables and fruits only!? And why don’t omnivores eat worms or spiders like they use to do in some countries in Asia for example…if you enjoy eating animals, why don’t you eat worms? …I am sure not a lot of people would dare to taste them!

soulcompromise likes this.
  18. soulcompromise

soulcompromise Member HipForums Supporter

I had a dietitian mention the term at one point. I had been eating lots of sushi and told her as much. I don't remember what she said about it, but I'm currently on a plant-based diet similar to a vegan one - the only difference being I don't care about honey (though I don't usually eat it or put it in tea or whatever...), wear leather shoes, etc., and I can't imagine eating the sushi now. Not only because of mayonnaise from the sauce (I love mayo, but my main thing is weight loss and mayo is kind of fatty), but because I'm convinced that any meat, fish included, has saturated fat content that other foods simply do not.

That said, I'm not exactly anti-sushi. & my mouth still waters/brain does some incredible gymnastics ever time I drive by my favorite sushi place. :yum:

19. kuriiroobi

kuriiroobi Members

Hi soulcompromise, thanks a lot for your answer! Ok, actually, honey is tricky! If I was a vegan, I would still eat honey, because I don't think animals/bees are exploited for that – of course, it depends on where you buy it, but there are many beekeepers who do not intervene too much in the life of bees. And honey is super healthy! Leather is different. There are so many choices on the marked. So why wouldn’t people go for them? And you can still enjoy vegetarian sushi which I love as well! Avocado or carrot, yummy!!

20. neutronstars111

neutronstars111 Members

I started off as vegetarian (a sudden, beautiful realization out of nowhere that was later fueled by meditation) ..after which I became vegan... and (probably, the most amazing short period of my life) a rawist...The latter only lasted for two weeks because it was extremely high-maintenance (given my circumstances)....I continued as a vegan..then later as a vegetarian and after a few years I started to include fish into my diet for what I considered to be health-related reasons. I am still convinced that, had my vegan diet been sufficienty complete, changing my diet wouldn't have been an option. I do feel bad every time I consume fish.