Isn't English the most Beautiful Language ?

Discussion in 'Other Languages' started by loveincarnate, Mar 11, 2012.

1. Spectacles

Spectacles My life is a tapestry Lifetime Supporter

Old email about how difficult it can be to learn English.

You think English is easy??

1) The bandage was wound around the wound.

2) The farm was used to produce produce.

3) The dump was so full that it had to refuse more refuse.

4) We must polish the Polish furniture.

5) He could lead if he would get the lead out.

6) The soldier decided to desert his dessert in the desert.

7) Since there is no time like the present, he thought it was time to present the present.

8) A bass was painted on the head of the bass drum.

9) When shot at, the dove dove into the bushes.

10) I did not object to the object.

11) The insurance was invalid for the invalid.

12) There was a row of oarsmen learning how to row.

13) They were too close to the door to close it.

14) The buck does funny things when the does are present.

15) A seamstress and a sewer fell down into a sewer line.

16) To help with planting, the farmer taught his sow (pig) to sow.

17) The wind was too strong to wind the sail.

18) Upon seeing the tear in the painting I shed a tear.

19)I had to subject the subject to a series of tests.

20) How can I intimate this to my most intimate friend?

Let's face it, English is a crazy language. There is no egg in eggplant, nor ham in hamburger; neither apple nor pine in pineapple. English muffins weren't invented in England or French fries in France . Sweetmeats are candies while sweetbreads, which aren't sweet, are meat. We take English for granted. But if we explore its paradoxes, we find that quicksand can work slowly, boxing rings are square and a guinea pig is neither from Guinea nor is it a pig.

If the plural of tooth is teeth, why isn't the plural of booth, beeth? One goose, 2 geese. So one moose, 2 meese? One index, 2 indices? Doesn't it seem crazy that you can make amends but not one amend? If you have a bunch of odds and ends and get rid of all but one of them, what do you call it?

If a vegetarian eats vegetables, what does a humanitarian eat? Sometimes I think all the English speakers should be committed to an asylum for the verbally insane. In what language do people recite at a play and play at a recital? Ship by truck and send cargo by ship? Have noses that run and feet that smell?

How can a slim chance and a fat chance be the same, while a wise man and a wise guy are opposites? You have to marvel at the unique lunacy of a language in which your house can burn up as it burns down; you fill in a form by filling it out; an alarm goes off by going on.

English was invented by people, not computers, and it reflects the creativity of the human race, which, of course, is not a race at all. That is why, when the stars are out, they are visible, but when the lights are out, they are invisible.

PS. - Why doesn't 'Buick' rhyme with 'quick' ?

3 people like this.
  2. arthur itis

arthur itis Senior Member

English can be very expressive.

A couple of examples:

"Yo yo yo, what it is."

"Maynnn, thas fuck dup."

"Shit on a stick!"

"OH my GOD, gag me with a spoon."

"Oh no you din't"

3. BraveSoldjer

BraveSoldjer Guest

As for me the most beautyful language in the world is Italian, not are the most of easies to learn, but their pronouncement is very melodic, the second after I guess ukrainian. Just listen a different languages and you'll understand what is beauty means and choose 1 you like.

4. The Imaginary Being

The Imaginary Being PAIN IN ASS Lifetime Supporter

english is a beautiful language when spoken properly.

1 person likes this.
  5. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

I enjoy it sometimes as much if not even more when spoken improperly (like some of those typical dialects, they're awesome!). Only problem is I often can't understand what they're saying :p

6. andmoreagain72

andmoreagain72 Member

Hull accent (North East England):

- Now then? how you gerrin' ome?
    - Ad berra mek a fern curl to me mam t'say am late
    - alrite mate, see ya t'morra..
    - ta ra!

1 person likes this.
  7. jimmyjoe1

jimmyjoe1 toker Lifetime Supporter

8. loveincarnate

loveincarnate Member

9. FlyingFly

FlyingFly Dickens

Actually it is in middle compared to others.
    Try learning Polish. :)
    http://livelonger.hubpages.com/hub/Most_Difficult_Languages_-_Polish

Base: pierdolić (1 have sex, 2 neglects smthing, 3 talking crazy);

1. wypierdolić (1 throw away, 2 overturn, 3 hit smbdy/smthing);
    2. popierdolić (1 make mistake, 2 talk without sense);
    3. zapierdolić (1 steal, 2 kill, 3 get drunk, 4 get high);
    4. upierdolić (1 get dirty, 2 crumble, 3 break);
    5. przypierdolić (1 hit, 2 to pry into, 3 to find fault);
    6. odpierdolić (1 fool around, 2 get off sb's back, 3 crumble, 4 wear sunday best);
    7. // too lazy to translate more
    8. dopierdolić (1 obciążyć kogoś czymś 2 dorzucić, np. węgla do pieca 3 dobić kogoś/coś);
    9. napierdolić (1 użyć czegoś w nadmiarze, 2 upić się, 3 walczyć, 4 mówić o kimś kłamstwa, 5 powiedzieć coś bardzo szybko)
    10. spierdolić (1 uciec, 2 zepsuć, 3 nie spisać się, 4 zrzucić);
    11. podpierdolić (1 ukraść, 2 donieść na kogoś, 3 podpalić);
    12. nadpierdolić (1 nadmienić, 2 nadrobić, 3 nadgryźć, 4 nadłamać, 5 nadwyrężyć);
    13. wpierdolić (1 pobić, 2 zjeść, 3 wejść w coś);
    14. przepierdolić (1 zdefraudować, 2 zgubić, 3 przegrać, 4 przebić, 5 wydać, np. całą wypłatę);
    15. opierdolić (1 zganić, 2 lenić się, 3 ubrudzić k-g, 4 (kul.) obrać, 5 (kul.) oskubać, 6 sprzedać, 7 ostrzyc, 8 obrazić, 9 okraść, 10 zjeść);
    16. rozpierdolić (1 zepsuć, zniszczyć, 2 rozwalić, 3 pokonać);
    17. obpierdolić (1 zniszczyć coś, 2 wypić butelkę wódki);
    18. nawpierdalać (1 obrazić kogoś, 2 nasypać, nawrzucać czegoś za dużo, 3 najeść);
    19. napierdalać (1 bić, 2 boleć, sprawiać ból, 3 robić coś dobrze, 4 uczyć się, 5 szybko mówić);
    20. popierdalać (1 szybko biegać);
    21. zapierdalać (1 pracować, 2 szybko biegać, 3 poruszać się szybko pojazdem);
    22. powpierdalać (1 najeść się);
    23. zepierdolić (1 zrzucić kogoś z czegoś);
    24. ponadpierdolić (1 pobić kogoś bardzo mocno);
    25. bezpierdolić (1 powstrzymać się od uprawiania seksu).
    (source: http://nonsensopedia.wikia.com/wiki/Język_polski)

I really like Italian and Russian. They sound great.

10. Piaf

Piaf Senior Member

There's nothing difficult in that. I hear English is one of the easiest languages to learn.

I think Russian is beautiful. And Arabic.

11. RnbwMan

RnbwMan Guest

English, and all of it's dialects are fascinating. I am a native speaker, of one of the American dialects. A word often has different meaning in each dialect, and in american vs. British English and, speakers of each dialect have colloquialisms unique to that dialect and, will say the same word differently than someone who speaks a different dialect of the language. I think that makes it even harder to learn.

For example all of the following mean the same thing, it just depends on what part of America the speaker is from as to which they will best understand.

You'ens get in here and eat.
    Come and get it, y'all
    Yo, chow time.
    All of you, come in and eat.

As for crossing the ocean, well we can get in trouble doing that and talking.

In the USA:
    Cock = male genitalia
    Rubber = condom

In the UK
    Cock = male chicken
    Rubber = pencil eraser

I personally love spotted dick and make it quite often but, it gets laughs when my guests ask what the tasty pudding is and, they want to call it a cake.

Of course we Americans call crisps chips and chips fries, custard is pudding here and a pudding is , well a cake, or just disgusting to most in the case of black pudding. LOL

Don't let it all confuse you, have fun with it and enjoy learning this fascinating language.

2 people like this.
  12. loveincarnate

loveincarnate Member

thnks for the great replies :sunny:

13. Larisa

Larisa Guest

Well, english is hard if your motherlanguage is not related to any Germanic one. My mother tounge is Czech, I also speak Romanian and they are not realted to english at all. When I moved to the US when I was 13, I had a hard time learning the language, even now 4 years later my pronounciation is just like your regular VA citizen, however my vocabulary is pretty limited and my grammar is not perfect.

BUT, Czech is way harder than english, my stepdad lived in the CZH for 10+ years and his pronounciation is unbearable to my ears. Some examples:

"Does Peter have a car?"
    in czech:

Petr má auto?
    Má Petr auto?
    Auto má Petr?
    Má auto Petr?

All of those are the correct way of translating the sentence above but they usually have different meanings, I hope I'm making myself clear. Also it has 7 noun cases, objects can be masculine, feminine or neuter, heck even Czechs have a hard time, I've never actually learned where the accents go sometimes.

Petr má auto? - I am surprised that Peter has A car.
    Má Petr auto? - I did not know if Peter has A car or not, but I want to know.
    Auto má Petr? - I am surprised it is Peter, who has THE car?
    Má auto Petr? - Does Peter (or someone else) have THE car?

14. loveincarnate

loveincarnate Member

this thread/idea has taken off across the internet
    on hundreds of forums

15. Reno91

Reno91 Member

have you not heard sveedish!?

16. dmob12

dmob12 Member

I only speak English but I've often thought that it would be interesting to hear English from the perspective of someone who doesn't speak it.

I rather enjoy an Eastern European accent, it's sexy.

17. loveincarnate

loveincarnate Member

6lad you pointed that out, is that an academic observation, or a personal one ?

18. Aerianne

Aerianne Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

I don't really know any other languages so I can't compare; but English is messed up. I realize that every time I teach a child to read. It's very confusing and you can give no explanation. You only can tell them "Because. That's just the way it is."

1 person likes this.
  19. loveincarnate

loveincarnate Member

English IS hard and its a blessing.
    In WW2 the US Army used Navajo language as a code the enemy couldny break. English is like that. you have to be born into it to use it correctly.

But it is a very ''spiritual'' language, the most spiritual after telepathy in my view.

Look at how english words break down
    question = quest i [am] on

these break downs of words dont work in other languages
    I know 3 other languages and am positive that english is the most advanced and spiritual language on earth.

If you accused me of saying that because english is my language I would agree, as we both know, the only way to know english is to be raised with it. A person not raised with english could not compair it to others.
    I have compaired it, and found it superior, which is exactly why others complain about it so much.

Its very advanced, and just thinking about the words brings great insight
    to those who command it.

Its the aMAZEing language.
    A cultural jackpot.

Just looking at the word THE [the article] holds great insight.

English INCLUDES so many root languages yet is so EXCLUSIVE.
    People take its value for granted.

Its a PRIVILAGE to speak english

20. pipgirl

pipgirl Member

Haha I loved your post.
    Interesting fact: the origin of the word hamburger comes from Hamburg, Germany, where apparently the hamburger was invented :D

I think it can be difficult to learn to read and write in English, although I can't remember for sure. The grammar is really easy though, just think about the conjugation of verbs.
    I'm Eastern European, and all the languages that I speak have a lot more difficult grammar than English.
    But yeah, English is pretty awesome!!
    My favourite is Portuguese though :D