Traveling to College

Discussion in 'Higher Ed' started by Delta 9 The Psychonaut, Feb 11, 2012.

1. Delta 9 The Psychonaut

Delta 9 The Psychonaut Member

Im traveling from Michigan to California (Arcata) for college this summer with some of my family members. Im wondering if i should

A) Take the train

B) Drive cross country

Flying isn't really an option because i want to see at least a little bit of the country.

2. machinist

machinist Banned Lifetime Supporter

ride a bike :2thumbsup:

3. scratcho

scratcho Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

You''ll see much,much more driving and feel closer to the land you're passing thru. And ,of course you can stop to look things over when you want.

4. seizedbyanger

seizedbyanger Banned

Definitely drive.. I've driven all over this country, including cross country and I loved every second of it.

5. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood Senior Moment Lifetime Supporter

Drive...

6. FritzDaKatx2

FritzDaKatx2 Vinegar Taster

If you're not looking for the major sightseeing and would rather have the opportunity to dot your i's and cross your l's ( :D ) on those last minute forms you put off filling out, I'd highly recomend the train. Cant speak for the ride from you to Chicago is but the ride from here to there is beautiful, and the snack car / observation care are awesome.
    If you are the type of smoker who cannot substitute cig's for chew or snuff or gum or a patch,,, dont take the train.

Most Cars have WiFi for laptops I think. Mine did at least. And 2 outlets per chair.

7. Delta 9 The Psychonaut

Delta 9 The Psychonaut Member

I didn't even think about that! That might be the decision maker right there!

8. seizedbyanger

seizedbyanger Banned

Unless your car was made before like 2005 lol... I have a 1994 and I drive alone and in silence.. no music or distractions

9. FritzDaKatx2

I meant the train cars. ;)

10. seizedbyanger

seizedbyanger Banned

11. FritzDaKatx2

Another misconception about trains is that you cant choose to lay over and reserve a seat for x amount of days later if it happens to stop somewhere you have interest in and look around, find a cheap hotel or Hostel in advance,,,.

12. JeffSorrows

JeffSorrows Member

probably drive so you can have a car! there isn't as much taxis on the west as on the east coast. Cars are the must have commodity, unless you want to walk/bike/bus everywhere. Though the train is a cool option, is worth the drive after all is said and paid.